Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Did you watch that interview where Momota was coaching some kids a year or two ago? He said something along the lines of wanting to inspire people and the coming generation. A strange thought crossed my mind tonight that he kind of got what he asked for? Truly mysterious are the ways of the universe. If he keeps it up, Paris wont seem so far fetched after all.

Quentin11 likes this.
  2. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

The problem is this is totally the most unrealistic approach. This is not some RPG where you equip different equipment for different boss fights.

Renmazuo27, trizzforce and Quentin11 like this.
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

I don't have any idea what racket Momota is using at all. My question here, is the heavier racket (as claimed here by another member) Momota is/was using, the only issue for his performances on court? If this is actually Momota's issue, then finding his path to success is so easy.

Perhaps Kwun was wrong about nice rackets? https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ve-your-game-not-racket-nor-your-smash.10543/

4. Schultzier

He used a 88 in his prime. The racket that started it all. Then he used the 99 before the accident and the 99pro during Covid. He now, recently, changed to the 77pro and started winning again.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

But, is whatever racket he is using is really the problem(s)?

6. viver

viver Regular Member

In your opinion, changing his racket to 77pro (not the 88?) resolved all the problems he had? Then the solution is easy for Momota to play well again!

7. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

I don't understand this racket obsession. If the racket was the only issue he (or any other player for that matter) was facing, should have been solved a long time back.

justiceforlcy and ubootsg like this.
  8. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

it's relatively invalid in my opinion, there was pretty concrete proof that the 77 he was using a while back was a repainted 88 pro (you'll have to do some digging in the pages to unearth it again). Something seems to have stoked the fires within him again, there's a lot more sincerity in these emotions he's showing post matches now. I genuinely believe he has started to enjoy the game again.

9. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Guys we all know it is not the racket only. It might be a contributing factor given that he usually carry his racket so low. But a minor factor it is.

His stamina seems to be back and we have seen him switch gears again in the 3rd game and this is completely unrelated to the racket.

His shot quality seems to be back and now I realise that no one is close to the shot quality he has had.

His defense seems to be back and most likely because of his reflexes and reaction time seems to be back.

His footwork seems to be back. Footwork to the back court looks fluid and to the front as well.

His straight down the line smashes seem to be back.

I have seen yesterday and today, not glimpses but outright vision of Optimus Prime Momota.

Will he be able to capitalise on this? Are all these factors really back to how it was? We'll have to see.

As far as I am concerned, if Momota stand a chance to 'Come Back', he will need to win this tournament and it is a daunting task.

livewire and Renmazuo27 like this.
  10. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Much agreed, I love what I'm seeing so far but sterner tests lay ahead.

Quentin11 likes this.
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Except his line judgements, some, luckily those were not the crucial points.

Quentin11 likes this.
  12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Next up is SYQ. Hope the latter will finish the match this time, even if he loses. :D

13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah well better than before because the Post-Accident Momota would let at least 10-15 points away due to line judgements.

Quick summary on version of Momota:
    Pre-Suspension
    Post-Suspension
    Prime
    Post-Accident
    Current

Did I miss any?

Pcyl likes this.
  14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Future?

Quentin11 likes this.
  15. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

So happy to see Momota playing like he is really enjoying badminton again. Happy to see him playing with motivation to win as many top players as he can.

16. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

As I said thousand times, his problem was 99 pro white tiger racket.

Giving him that racket and he will be "chicken" again.

Yonex was detroying him by forcing him to play 99 pro white.

visor and Schultzier like this.
  17. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I don't understand the racket obsession. If that was the problem, he could have easily requested a different racket with the 99 pro paint job.

I love rackets like a lot of people here but it really doesn't seem to be the defining factor to his play and form.

To me, blaming the racket is discrediting the effort that he's put in to regain his form, stamina, shot quality, etc. Is a racket change supposed to affect all of that? Of course, there's a minor chance that he didn't like the feel of the 99 pro and therefore meant that he didn't feel comfortable playing certain shots. But that in no way correlates to his fitness.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

18. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I will not argue.

Another case, Watanabe with Axfore 80 and Halbertec 9000.

Watanabe will be "chicken" with Axfore 80 and just wait for thim to shine with Halbertec 9000

You can cheat audience by paintjob, but you cannot do it to Pro-Stringers.

How can make they become silent ?

Schultzier likes this.
  19. Schultzier

100% the racket. He had the skills already. The kinds of return he is making would not be possible with the white tiger.

20. viver

viver Regular Member

Yes! Give Momota the perfect racket and he then can say goodbye to the hard work and his technical team. Not sure if you read the Chinese martial arts (wuxia) novels, once the main character obtains the secret manual or that super weapon becomes immediately unbeatable and invincible, becoming the indisputable no. 1 in the universe!

I played with different rackets during my 30+ years of badminton. Each racket, even being of same brand and model have slightly different characteristics and good players should know how to adjust to it. Alleging victories or losses just because of the racket you are just taking away the players all their technical/tactical and other skills displayed on court. Saying that Momota depended simply on a racket to achieve victories is too simplistic and quite disrespectful, reducing him to a very ordinary player.

I watched his matches in the Korean Masters and this Japan Masters. His court coverage, tactical play, technical skills, physical fitness were much better than what he displayed a few months back. If all these improvements were just because of the racket, whatever racket he is using, I rest my case and let Yonex do the rest!

And who knows if Victor, Lining, etc might have one that suits Momota even a much better!?

Arisuin likes this.