Bravesword 12 SE vs ARS 90k ii / 100x

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Fun Uncle, Aug 2, 2023.

1. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

Hey there! I'm in the market for a new racket, i'm basically a full doubles player that I would say is at the intermediate level. Been using the Astrox 77 3u for a long time and constantly felt like I had a lot of off days and definitely felt sluggish on defense and tired after long sessions. Snapped my strings recently and I ended up using my BS12 3u that had 3 year old skyarc strings on it and surprisingly I loved how it felt. Was looking into a more speedy racket that isn't completely lacking on power and landed on the ARS 90k ii and 100x but also recently learned that theres a new BS12 SE and would love thoughts/comparisons/personal experiences with them.

From my last few days of research roughly what I was able to get was that the 90k ii is slightly more sluggish but more power than 100x and both equally good, I'm not sure if they are the same stiffness or not though or if one is stiffer than the other. Also heard that the new BS12 SE feels completely different being slightly stiffer and head heavier than the original BS12 which to me from a specs point of view puts it very similar to the 2 auraspeeds. Would love any and all opinions!

2. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

additionally, I have used my friends nf800 which felt amazingly fast but slightly too stiff for my liking

3. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

If that's the case auraspeed 90kii will be perfect for you. It's similar to the nf800 profile but with a more flex shaft

4. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

Do you have any personal experience with the 90kii or the 100x? would love any personal thoughts or experiences playing with the racket :)

5. NickifiedNg

90kii is slightly more flexible and head heavier than the 100x. The added head weight makes it cut through the air when you swing more effortless.

The 100x on the other hand feels like it has a larger sweet spot, the stiffer shaft makes it easier to guide shots from shots snappy movements.

Power potential: 90k2
    User friendly: 90k2
    Forgiving Mishit: 100x
    Speed: 100x

awesomista likes this.
  6. awesomista

awesomista Regular Member

Agreeeed... I own both
    90k2 4u and 100x 3u
    When I'm tired i use 90k2 and the smash is still strong, and i would say 100x is more user friendly... Based on my friend's review (more than 10 friend liked 100x over 90k2)

NickifiedNg likes this.
  7. awesomista

awesomista Regular Member

New brave sword 12 is very fragile because it used foam on the core... Power is good but you will lose control than 100x and 90k2

Fun Uncle likes this.
  8. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

Awesome thanks so much that really helps, it always feels weird to me to think of a racket like the 100x that is stiffer but technically considered more friendly as it has a larger sweet spot, so used to Yonex where all the top spec stiff rackets come with compact head

9. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

oh wow it does sound like the community in general likes 100x more, I'm still an intermediate so I guess I should go for a 100x to be safe as well. Would you say that a 4u 100x might be too light? I've read a ton of posts on badmintoncentral and reddit online but can't get a rough idea on what the overall community prefers for 4u/3u 100x

10. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

ok I will avoid then, thanks so much, I never was able to find any info like this online yet you are so helpful!

11. NickifiedNg

Depending on your playstyle and history of rackets. But I found the 3U performing really well for me when I'm still early on to the baddy sessions, but the added weight does become noticeable towards the final hour of my baddy session. I didn't like the 4u 100x because it was simply too light and fast. But to sacrifices come speed for added weight makes the 3u 100x so much easier to control

12. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

Thanks for the insight! I think given what you mentioned I’ll get the 3u, I use a 3u BS12 rn and find it fine for my sessions. I also saw a few of your comments in other threads and definitely don’t think I play as long sessions as you do either so I should be fine

on a side note I also saw a comment of yours that you got the OG AS77 which I have now in 3u! How would you compare it to the 3u 100x flexibility/feel/power/control wise? I know speed for sure 100x is it

13. NickifiedNg

I use a 4u 77 and still find it producing better power than the 3u 100x. Flexibility definitely more on 77. There's is a better feeling on the 77 aswell because of the wooden handle compared to freecore on the 100x. I do feel the 3u 100x is easier to maneuver during drives and fast exchanges because of the lack in head weight even when compared with the 4u 77

14. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

Is this correct if I put a 4u tkfe into the mixture along with 3u 100x & 4u 90k ii ?

Control/Net play: 100x > tkfe > 90kii
    Speed/Drive: 100x > 90kii >= tkfe
    Defense: 100x > tkfe >= 90kii
    Clears: baseline to baseline - tkfe > 90kii > 100x
    Stick Smashes - would it be different than below ?
    Full blown Smashes - tkfe >> 90kii > 100x
    user friendliness: 100x > 90kii >= tkfe

[Assumption 3U TKFE & 3U 90KII - is just too heavy for a previous BS12 3U user]

15. NickifiedNg

For stick smashes. Definitely 90kii will perform the best 'for me' because it's the most flexible out of the three, easier to generate whipper shots

kingsooji likes this.
  16. Swaroop KP

Swaroop KP Regular Member

Went ahead and purchased 90K ii last week. Planning to play tomorrow.

17. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

Hey NickifiedNG! So small update I had a chance to play with a friends ARS 90s which I thought felt quite nice and the flex felt good too. Also talked to a few friends who used the original TK F which I didn't try but heard great things about and also know the community seems to love it. I think rather than the 90k2 if I wanted more oomph to my smashes I would consider the TK F Enhanced.

I know you mentioned that the 3u 100x is very forgiving, but I also know that it has a stiff shaft. How would you say the TK F Enhanced (I guess in a 4u? or should I target 3u since it's more even balanced than other hh rackets) compares in ease of play and flexibility?

18. NickifiedNg

Don't you come from a 3U racket history? Would recommend you stick to the 3U rackets to not overly mess up your timings. I think the TK F enhanced, although slightly more flexible it isn't as forgiving as the 100x because of the narrow head nature of the TK F E, the sweet spot is seemingly smaller horizontally. Ease of play, I think both rackets are similar in speed, and both can generate good power. TK F E has definetly a stronger smash

19. Fun Uncle

Fun Uncle Regular Member

I think my initial thoughts for the 4u TKFE was moreso due to me wishing that my Astrox 77 was a 4u since I wished it was slightly faster and less sluggish. But ok thanks for the advice again, so even with the 100x being more flexible it still is more user friendly than the TKFE that helps a lot :)

20. Benevolence

Benevolence Regular Member

Hi fun uncle, what racket did you end up getting and any comments on it?

i too like you have been using a bravesword 12 3u racket. I got a 77 play 4u 2mths ago. I don’t play badminton often, as it is not my main sport, So I had to downgrade to a light racket just to avoid hurting my shoulders.

But here is my thoughts on the switch. the racket swings a lot faster, maybe because it’s a 3u vs 4u racket. Defence is excellent. I could weirdly save a lot of shots when I clearly know that I would have missed it.
    But I’ve been feeling that my net shots are not as good. Every hit on the shuttle cock using the 77 play feels weird. Not as precise as the bs12.