Yonex vs Li-ning shoe size and fit

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Asmo, Aug 5, 2023.

1. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Hi, I need to replace my Yonex 65 Z shoes and since I have no local store to buy/try badminton shoes I was originally going to get a pair of 65 Z3 since it would be the most straight forward replacement. However I saw the Li-ning eu store currently has a huge discount on some shoes. Specifically looking at the Invincible ace model that seems comparable to Yonex 65 Z3? It's less than half the price of the Yonex shoe so I think worth a shot.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the size/fit of both brand's shoes or maybe even those specific models? Basically can I expect a 28cm size Li-ning shoe to fit the same as a 28cm Yonex? When googling it some people suggested that Li-ning were larger fitting at the same size?

Unfortunately no free returns there and it's kind of a pain in the ass to send a package back so I'm trying to do my research so I can hopefully get the right size from the start and not have to deal with that.

2. raven1121

raven1121 Regular Member

I wouldn't if I were you. I'm a full size different in those two brands

Asmo likes this.
  3. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Ok, that's a bit concerning. Mind specifying which you have the smaller or lager size in otherwise it doesn't really tell me much ;) Preferably in cm since us or eur sizes seem pretty arbitrary. Thanks.

4. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

57€ for an upper end pair is a steal and reviews over on BadmintonCN for the Invincible Ace shoes suggest these are pretty good. You could look through the comments over there to see if anyone has posted a sizing guide compared to the 65z series.

For reference, I have slightly larger feet than average and usually wear thick socks when playing:

With LN shoes I would usually go for either 43 2/3 (275mm) or 44 1/3 (280). Using the Yunting currently in 43 2/3, also tried the Thunder which were a better fit in 44 1/3 due to a slightly slimmer fit.

My last Yonex pair were the 88 Dial in 44 (280) but that was a borderline snug fit. Should have ordered them half a size bigger but couldn't find them in 44.5 for a decent price at that time. Victor shoes in comparison are a good snug fit in 44 (280) for me.
    Tried some Yonex shoes at a tournament a while ago and 44,5 (285) seemed to be a good fit thoguhout the models I tried (iirc Comfort Z, Eclipsion Z and some pair of Aerus?).

Generally I would go down at least half a size. If you have feet that are way slimmer than average or wear thin socks or prefer a very snug fit you might want to go down a full size to 270 if you wear 280 with Yonex.

Asmo likes this.
  5. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Thank you, that is very helpful. The Yonex I got now are 275 which is my normal size but I found them to be some of the smallest fitting shoes I've ever owned so I'd get a 280 next time if it were the same model. But it definitely sounds like I shouldn't do that with the Li-ning then.

6. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Sound we're sitting in the same kind of boat;)
    From what you stated about the fit of your 275mm 65z you're probably sitting inbetween 270 and 275 in LN sizes.
    As stated earlier, if you have slim feet, like a rather snug fit or prefer thin socks you're probably better off with the 270 version of the Invincible Ace (at least assuming these shoes dun't run weirdly wide/long/narrow...).
    With somewhat wide feet or if you prefer a not too snug fit/thick socks, 275 sounds like it would be the better choice.

7. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

So I just got the shoes, Invincible Ace. I went with size 275mm which thankfully seem to fit pretty well so I can confirm that they're larger at the same size than Yonex. A bit hard to say exactly since I don't have different sizes to compare and my Yonex are old and worn in vs. these brand new but my feeling is they probably are like a 5mm larger Yonex, I wouldn't say a full 10mm. Though it might be different from model to model. When reading a bit more I found some people saying this particular model was small fitting for being a Li-ning.

I won't be able to play with them for a couple weeks so can't really say much about them yet except some quick impressions from just trying them on. Pretty similar design to 65 Z. About the same cut/height. They seem to have good support and cushioning. However they're pretty damn bulky and heavy, more than I was expecting. I weighed them at 414g! So definitely not a light shoe and though I've never tried them I'd guess probably more similar to Yonex Comfort Z. I might write more of a mini review when I've had the chance to play with them a couple times.

Woesi likes this.
  8. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Quite different. If u are 28 Yonex 44 but lining 44 1/3.
    But for me 26.5 in Yonex 41 and lining 42 1/3.
    I had 65z2 before and change to Victor p9200iii 55th but it's quite pricey and so comfortable

Asmo likes this.
  9. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

Did you kept the same size as the 65z2 going with the Victor p9200iii?