Loose cross string?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by OxBox, May 15, 2023.

1. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Hi

Occasionally, while stringing, (1:50) I’m seeing a single cross string that is loose compared to the others, after it has been pulled and I don’t understand why?!

It’s usually cross string number 6, 7 or 8, counted from the bottom. The string will be much easier to push around then the other strings and often settles as a “sad” string, unless constantly corrected during play.

Recently I’ve noticed this while stringing and has gone back and repulled the string, but the result is the same – a loose string. I’ve even tried to add an extra kilo for that cross, again with the same result (maybe slightly tighter).

I can see no visual difference to the string holes/grommets, which are not shared, and I can’t figure out why this is happening.

Have any of your seen something similar?

My process is: Mount racket (6-pointsupport, load spreader top and bottom) finger tight with no play; String all mains inside out; String crosses (+1 kg) bottom up. That is, a standard Yonex two-piece pattern.

Max. racket deformation is +-2 mm. (length, width) but usually it’s 0 or +-1 mm. The strings usually come out slightly “sad”, but I adjust them afterwards and all is good.

2. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

A cross that doesn't want to sit straight while playing is usually the sign of a misweave

I don't think i've seen anything else resembling what you describe

3. OxBox

OxBox New Member

I’ve checked for misweaves, but this is not the case, but thanks.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

sounds very odd. Does this happen on different rackets or is it just on this one specific racket?

5. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Come to think of it, it happened on four rackets I can think off and all of them where Forzas, with 88 holes.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

can't make any sense of this, sorry.

If the string has indeed noticeably less tension than others, then there are two basic options:
    1) it has not been tightended enough before clamping
    2) the clamp was too loose and let the string slip through

1) is highly unlikely to happen multiple times on multiple rackets around the exact same string
    2) same

Are you sure that the issue is not just created in your head and that the string in fact isn't necessarily looser that the others?

7. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Two of the four rackets I had to restring, because the owner noticed it (I didn’t), so no, it’s not in my head :)

Next time I will film it if I notice it while stringing. I haven’t checked whether the string might be slipping in the gripper on the machine, which could cause it, I guess, leading to case 1) you mention. But definitely unlikely, that it should happen around the same place every time.

Appreciate the input though.