2023 All England Open Badminton Championships

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by indrg, Feb 27, 2023.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That was under a different boss.

And SYQ is, honestly, very mentally strange. He says weird things and not really sure what he is thinking.

pcll99 and nokh88 like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Why SYQ always lose like this. Was it 20-5 also against Momota

the way he lost, it surprised me that he didnt say he was injured at 20-5.

gotta say that whole episode will shine a bad light everytime he loses single digit.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I never liked to lose single digit. Die die must get to double digits. :D

4. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Quite sure that Li Shifeng himself mentioned that Kento Momota was the player he looked up to after beating him in German open, but I suppose it's possible to have several of those :p

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I read somewhere it was Son Wan Ho but can't remember where. :p
    Especially after contracting Covid-19. Memory loss.

6. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I dont think he was told to lose either, if anything they wanted him to win to get to a seeded ranking asap. If i had to guess, he was flustered that he lost the first game which he should have won and totally lost concentration and eventually gave up in the second game. It should not happen though for a top and experienced player like him to lose direction after losing a game. I think his coach needs to work on that with him. What if it was the olympics final? Something needs to change!

#726 Justafan90, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  7. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

No break-down etc... Simple... SYQ would have thought it is getting late to wash the clothes before catching flight to Swiss open.. So finished 2nd game quickly!.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As far as I know, once it's an all-China Final, it doesn't matter who wins - and that's the case during LYB's time as his mission is nation before self.

And, well, this AE final between SYQ and LSF proved, to me, that the problem lies with SYQ himself, lack of mental strength even against his own teammates in an individual all-at-stake title bout. But I still think if he were to play against his seniors, say Lin Dan or Chen Long, who were already well-decorated, he (SYQ) would certainly go all out with nothing to fear as he's not expected to win, in a way not that much to lose, but everything to gain, even a life-changing one. However, when facing his junior who has nothing to lose while he himself has to make a successful comeback as hoped-for and expected of him by CBA and his coaches/mentor, then it became a test of his mental toughness and will-to-win. Not surprisingly, in my opinion, he wilted.

What I failed to understand is that , he succeeded in overcoming a couple of obstacles along the way to get to the final, notably disposing of Kunlavut in R2, Viktor's conqueror at the S750 IND Open, followed by eliminating the resurgent Lee Zii Jia in the semis, and what's more, with Viktor Axelsen out of the picture, thanks to Ng Tze Yong's heroic exploit in stopping the reigning Olympic and World Champion. And best of all, standing in his way of grabbing the AE S1000 championship trophy is merely his fellow junior who has yet any title worth mentioning to his name - what a golden opportunity not to be missed. It's equivalent to saying all the stars are being aligned in his favour, no less.

Yet, he crumbled in G2 after narrowly dropping G1 in a close affair of multiple deuces by eventually losing 26-24 ! Why, what happened, we may ask? Personally, I can only say, SYQ has nobody but himself to blame. Or, are we going to say, Li Shifeng has chosen of all times to announce his arrival on the world's stage to make his mark at this world's oldest and one of the most prestigious badminton tournaments , The All England Open Badminton Championships, much to SYQ's chagrin. Hard luck for SYQ, then.

pcll99 likes this.
  9. Justafan90

I really don’t think LSF suddenly became a top top player, SYQ lost to himself, i actually think if it was antonsen in the final, SYQ would have won. If you look at LSF draw, it was actually pretty easy unless u count injured NKL.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

But, there's also no denying how LSF played SYQ in the first set when the latter started the match with an air of confidence and threatened to command the match , except that he didn't see what's coming from the junior's stiff resistance and remarkable fightback to pip him in G1, even holding two gamepoints and then taking the long deuce exchanges. The rest is history.

Next, LSF who has just played two finals in as many weeks, I wonder if he could use a break as he's registered to compete in this week's Swiss Open, and will be facing none other than LZJ in the opening round, not to mention VA is also in the draw, the opposite half.

11. Justafan90

Oh dun get me wrong, LSF definitely improved a lot and the two finals are an amazing achievement for him. I just don’t think he is really SYQ or LZJ level yet but obviously LZJ has his own issues going on too. Swiss open is actually good just to collect some ranking points for everyone, no pressure there. Well SYQ is in the top half with victor right? So can’t really expect to watch a repeat of the match…

#731 Justafan90, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

SYq’s body language is one of the worst

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Of course AllEngland is the most prestigious event bar the Olympic.

When i grow up in the 90s, i only hear AllEngland, where the F is WC. In fact its even more heard of than Olympic, its the title that everyone wants to win.

Its only that recently WC is introduced but well to put it, its much younger than AE. Hard to say its above AE in terms of importance because its just not old enough which is in terms of prestigiousness.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That was a while ago. LYB is long gone.

We have seen recent matches where Chinese players plays really all out against each other.

As for trying to put some logic behind SYQ's behavior, I don't know if rationality can apply here. As I said, the guy is a bit strange.

15. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Indeed. Unfortunately, due to China's behaviour in the past, we cannot rule anything out. We cannot rule out that SYQ and LSF played all out in game 1, and then agreed (or were told) that the winner of G1 should win G2 easily to save energy for next week. China brought this on themselves and it is going to take a while to let go of that thought.

In the last few years it has also become more rare to see all-China finals where both players/pairs really need ranking points. We are approaching Olympic qualification and both SYQ and LSF need as many points as they can get (assuming that they are the Olympic hopes of China in MS), which speaks to the idea of preserving energy for next week.

SYQ's attitude is sometimes a bit.. interesting.. and we can speculate a lot. Maybe he didn't want to pretend to fight but still lose, and instead he chose to pretend to be exhausted? Maybe he does not want to "disobey" because he fears the consequences after his recent ban? Or maybe it was his own choice to "give up" in G2 to save energy? Or maybe he just ran out of gas in G2, fair and square, and barely won any points?

I hope for the last, but I cannot rule out any of the above. At least not yet.
    I am, however, pretty sure that they both played to win G1.

kwun, nokh88, browning and 3 others like this.
  16. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Please help me understand, what’s LZJ level btw- one time AE winner??? What else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Relax, I'm afraid you're overthinking. First off, the past is the past, whatever LYB did, his motivations, justifications,and, therefore strategies adopted for Team China as a whole was top priority, over and above any individual interests or glories; still, most importantly, and undeniably, he, or Team CHN for that matter, accomplished their national goals all by playing by the prevailing rules of BWF during his time. So, what's there to fault him? If there's any unhappiness among the Chinese players concerned, that's their internal matter for them to resolve by themselves. Anyway, whatever, it's all water under the bridge now, totally pointless to dwell on it (I won't be baited), let's look forward, not backwards.

Second, Li Shifeng's coming from nowhere to suddenly make the finals of two tournaments, one Super300 and the other Super1000 (!), in consecutive weeks and coupled with Shi Yuqi also making the final of the top tier AE with LSF must have come as a hugely pleasant surprise, what every coach would love to see, therefore, why should it matter who between the two emerges champion given the current state of CHN MS, which is without a single MS in the top 10 WR, let alone top 5 (meaning CHN MS will meet each other in the early elimination rounds)? For SYQ, an AE title win c/w substantial ranking points is just what he needed most to cement his position as the Comeback Kid while for Li Shifeng, the same resounding success will not only bode well for his young career going forward but it will at the same time inject another much-needed strong player in the present weakened MS lineup.

Third, it's a no-brainer that every player yearns to clinch such a prestigious title as the AE whose weight ranks just below the WC/OG. As it turned out after the AE, SYQ despite defeat still ranked up two places to within top 10 whereas LSF moved up three places at number 11, their respective ranking points are as close as you can get. So why is there any compelling reason or need to save their energy for next week's tourney and the one or two after - The Swiss Open S300, followed by the Spain Masters S300 and the Orlean Masters S300, for which you've correctly said are not included in the approaching Paris Olympic qualification cycle? Impact-wise, there's simply no comparison between the AE vis-a-vis the two aforementioned S300 events, or, to put it crudely, how many S300 titles to equal one AE S1000 title?

Fourth, it follows that if anyone of you were in SYQ's position, I'll bet my last dollar you will go all out and fight tooth and nail with LSF for the AE crown. Even more so ,after a narrow loss in G1, you will most assuredly fight your guts out, throw caution to the wind, and go down swinging. Heck care whatever is awaiting you in the coming weeks.

Fifth, a final point. Just think, again if you were SYQ, who would you rather play in the final - Anders Antonsen , or Anthony Ginting, assuming he prevailed over AA in the QFs, or, Li Shifeng? Let's not forget, LSF the night before had a grueling three-setter with AA lasting more than an hour that ended near midnight as it was also the last match of the day, as opposed to SYQ who had a relatively easier and more convincing win over LZJ in two straight sets that ended much earlier in the evening; this point is for those who thought it mattered (I personally think it matters only a little as that's how tournaments are organised and the contestants have no control over the schedule, which can happen to anyone, and I believe any professional player should be able to deal with it; unless you're extremely unlucky as to encounter long, draining matches round after round; tough luck then).

I trust the five points I made above should suffice to allay your concerns and need for speculation as to what might actually transpire between the two protagonists. Nothing as complicated as you've surmised.

In conclusion, regarding SYQ's strange or somewhat interesting but inexplicable attitude in the final clash, I opine that it boils down to SYQ's self-defeatist attitude. Basically what I've expressed to kwun in post # 782 above.

Just take it as a friendly exchange of opinions. Cheers.

18. Justafan90

For the olympic, what are the odds they wont select SYQ and LSF even if everyone is in top 16. Idk how confident they are in LGZ and ZJP if they are targeting olympic gold.

#738 Justafan90, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They will go on form nearer the time of confirmation. Whoever is in best condition and best chance of winning will go. There's a lot of time until final confirmation so your question can't be answered.

20. Justafan90

That is true, most of them do suddenly perform well before the olympics, its like an extra push. I just felt like those two needs to improve a lot if they wanna get selected, the whole year SYQ was out, they had everyone opportunity to be china MS 1 but they couldn’t, and even with the year break, SYQ has once again overtaken them in the world ranking. They are not juniors unlike LSF and WHY who both shows promising talents. I guess we’ll wait and see!! Maybe WHY can make it too, almost left him out