That front foot lunge.

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two pictures of LKY's front foot. His front foot turning inwards has to be the most extreme that I have seen from a singles player. I wonder if he has sprained his ankle in the past.

20230113-0S2A3322.jpg

20230113-0S2A3327.jpg

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That second one is that sort picture I can't look at without clenching the buttocks. If he hasn't had sprain incidents in the past, he will surely have in the future.

3. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Any reason why he would do that? Anticipating a lift?

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It'd be interesting to see the links to the videos and the timeframes of that.

Ankle sprains can happen if there is lots of momentum going in the direction. Looking at the second pic where his foot is very unusual in orientation ,. His weight is very strongly safely away from causing a problem for himself. His knee is towards the safer side of his foot , he is very much nor going to be rolling over.

I have seen a clip of a club player where they came close to rolling their ankle. Their weight was shifted dangerously to the side causing their foot to tip to the side. Just a bit more and some more momentum and it'd have been all the way over. That's not happening here.

Also how safe it is depends on the whole footwork. It's be interesting to see the clips.

Boris Becker the tennis player, back in the days when shoes were also less advanced. He was advised to wear ankle braces. Just incase. and I have seen some badminton players do that. Maybe it's wise.

Also you can fall safely if the ankle is rolling and then not get a sprain. You can roll with it.

#4 ralphz, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023