India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

manjunath in the thai masters and indo masters..his chance to prove himself- best of the rising indian batch closely followed by Priyanshu
    he can be big

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Ivan sozonov to be doubles coach of India, who will look after juniors and next rung doubles players .

nilesh123 and Cheung like this.
  3. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Anyone has any idea from where we can book the tickets for India Open?

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Free tickets at Indira Gandhi arena gate no 16. Went today for taking tickets for tomorrow matches. They said it’ll be available tomorrow. Apparently, they haven’t updated in the site (koobit) yet.

rajat_remar likes this.
  5. rajat_remar

Thanks a lot!
    So I assume online ticket booking is not yet available.

6. Baddie lover

In koobit.com it said only offline tickets will be available. Which days will you go ?

rajat_remar likes this.
  7. rajat_remar

Yes, I saw. Also, it says the tickets can be acquired for the next day's play..it doesn't make much sense.
    Anyway, I'm planning to go for semis and finals. Won't be possible during the weekdays.

Baddie lover likes this.
  8. Baddie lover

Yeah I saw that tickets for next day thing. Due to that, I went to the box office today. And they were like, ohh the site is not updated, tickets will be available on the same day as the matches. Guess, some things never change here :(. I’ll be going for 2 first round days and final day.

rajat_remar likes this.
  9. rajat_remar

Thanks for the info!!
    Hope to see you in the finals
    I don't see many Indians reaching the finals, so hopefully you'll be able to meet and watch a lot of players in the initial rounds.

Baddie lover likes this.
  10. Baddie lover

I planned it this way so that I get to see all the players and especially Indian players. So best bet was first round lol. Will rush early to see Momota match. If I get lucky, maybe click some pics with players ;) Little sad, Ashwini and Gronya are not playing :p see you in finals bro. Will contact you

rajat_remar likes this.
  11. Baddie lover

LONG POST ALERT

Guys, let’s try to be little active here. I know we have been already down for 2-3 years sans Thomas cup triumph, but again let’s try to be more proactive regarding Indian badminton updates.

I miss the days where we used to talk about anything and everything regarding Indian badminton courtesy articles shared by @badmuse , @Baddyforall , @mohans , @Sumanth99 , @rajat_remar , @nilesh123. Not gonna lie, past Indian results have not given us any cheer (since covid struck). But as the Paris OG qualification is going to start, let us see the probables and the flag bearers of Indian badminton in next 5-6 years. Positives negatives both.

MS: Lakshya Sen, HSP for Paris 24. I don’t know the qualification rules. Is it still 2 players from same nation in top 16 of rankings to qualify for Og ?

Talking about future prospects

1) Mithun Manjunath- I first saw him in 2018 Vietnam super 300. I think he reached quarters there. After that some flash of the pan moments but not consistent. Don’t know how he reached top 30-40. When Verma brothers and Ajay Jayaram were in top 30-40, they still had quality. We knew that they’ll beat this player or lose to this player. In case of Mithun, we don’t even know that. I’d say he would not be my bet for future. I hope he does well, but it seems tough.

2) Kiran George- Did really well in 2019 GP and IC level tournaments. Since then, no improvement. Will lose to anybody. Skilful player but level is not there yet to reach next stage or compliment LS as MS 2 (When KS and HSP hang up their boots for good)

3) Meisnam Meiraba- Used to be in next big thing conversation alongwith Lakshya Sen when both of them were around 10-12. I first saw Meisnam in 2019 WJC, that time I saw he has an attitude and temper problem. Checked his matches in tournament software for 2022, a big thumbs down. Age is by his side, hoping he brushes aside his blues and start performing. I’m not optimistic. But I hope I’m wrong.

4) Sankar Muthusamy- Checked his WJC final, very underwhelming performance. I’ve heard good comments regarding his defence but his attack is non existent. Will have to keep an eye on him. If he develops, I think it’d take him 4 years to perform really well and come in top 15.

5) Priyanshu Rajawat- Out of all the players mentioned above, I see him slightly a better candidate to be MS 2 behind Lakshya. He is one of those players whose play style is very appealing (like a gymnast). But appeal doesn’t win you matches, consistency in gameplay and minimising UE does. Saw him in Indonesia Masters super 500 this week, he has improved a little. Would keep an eye on him, but not that optimistic. Why ? Coz of his 2022 performances. For me to be satisfied, I’d like to see a proper improvement curve step by step, which I still haven’t seen in these players.

I’ll be honest. When Ajay Jayaram, Kashyap, Chetan Anand were playing in 2011-12, we had a proper supply chain courtesy players like Guru Sai Dutt (not that effective, but good enough to be in top 40), HSP and BSP both did well in junior scene and transitioned well into senior scene. They started to be in top 20 after some years, but showed that spark which is missing in players I discussed just above this paragraph. Kidambi came out of nowhere in 2014 and since then it has been Kidambi, HSP, BSP, Sameer Verma. Question is who is complimenting LS among young players ? No one for me.

WS: Sindhu only for Paris 24. Younger players like Aakarshi and Malvika, I don’t know how they are in top 40. Same like Mithun Manjunath. I don’t see any hope from them and Ashmita Chaliha in this department. Other batch players like Samiya, Aditi Bhatt, Tasnim Mir, Unnati Hooda. Haven’t heard anything about them. No eye catching results or results which would give us little hope.

When Saina started showing results in 2010-11, we had Sindhu in 2011 junior scene who quickly showed her mettle in senior scene. There’s a huge gap bw Sindhu, Saina and youngsters. God help us.

MD: Satwik and Chirag for Paris 24. Dhruv and Arjun sub standard pair. Still not improved. Other pairs are way below in standard if compared to Dhruv and Arjun. No hopes from young players.

WD: don’t know for Paris 24. I saw Tanisha will play with Ashwini in this Indonesia super 500. I’m actually looking forward to their partnership. If both of them continue, I think they will play in Paris 24. I like both of them as players, Tanisha for me is a promising player. Ashwini can guide her. I guess this partnership will be better than Sikki and Ashwini. For future, I have hopes from Tressa and Gopichand. In 2-3 years they’ll mature more. Right now they are WR 17, again I’m not sure how they reached this rank. Anyway, they are the only torchbearers for Indian WD.

XD: Ishan and Tanisha for Paris 24. My first choice would have been Satwik and Ashwini. I really liked their partneship, the best combination we had. But I guess, Satwik and the coaches discussed that double duties would be too much for him or maybe Ashwini is ageing, so no pairing just my speculations. Anyway, Ishan and Tanisha are way ahead of other XD pairs. Well problem is we don’t have any permanent XD pairs. Someday you might see Kidambi and Sindhu play in XD nationals and they might even win it. That’s the sorry state of Indian XD. But hey, let’s not be sad as we are used to it :).

Guys, after a long time I found my courage and willingness to get proactive regarding Indian badminton. Vent out your feelings or frustration. I’ve not sugarcoated or being pessimist. Just tried to be realist as much as possible. Let’s just stick to probables for Paris 24 and future players and not talk like a broken tape recorder for topics like corruption and BAI should do this or that. No benefit in ranting about the system, all we can do is talk about players.

badmuse, rajat_remar and Sumanth99 like this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agree.

Idk whats happening with juniors tbh, not much info.

I get my rackets strung at same place where pros (HSP, SatChi.. almost everyone at PGBA) get theirs strung, a couple of times I heard of the name Gireesh, I don't have much idea though.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. ChildrenOfBadminton

nice initiative. I have been trying to engage us all in the young players and overall progress in the past months as well.
    for my evaluation:
    MS: LS looking to be the only one with potential to enter top 5 in coming years .hsp will stay wr8-9-10. HSP and kidambi are unreliable and will probably retire in 2 years max (we would probably also see a downfall in performance gradually). sad state for india
    Presently 2 good candidates as per my understanding to go far in MS in the coming time . Rajawat is pretty good for a 20 year old and has good results but also consistency issues. will see in thai masters how he does. The other one is Mithun . he has better consistency than the rest of the young India MS players. he is also my pick to be in top 20 by year end . he has shown signs of improvement but is still not upto the mark. As for the other ones, Kiran and Meiraba look lacklustre and lacking in performance. i dont think they will get to a required level to take ahead india MS but i hope they can improve and do well to help india become a big force in MS. not considering subramaniam as of now. Looking ahead to Paris Olympics , both LS and HSP looking to be indian representatives . LS and HSP both will probably maintain top 10 ranks till Paris. Though I think if HSP drops down for any reason there is a chance for priyanshu to come in top 16 by paris and hence be the 2nd indian representative in MS after Lakshya.
    We need atleast 3-4 good MS at any point for the years going forward. 2 in top 10 and 2 more in top 20-25.

WS:
    Very bad state. Sindhu seems to have reached the end of her swansong although i do hope she carries on in the top 6-7 till paris and gets a medal there.
    aside from here there is a grand total of 0 proper players. all domestic lords and chokers filled in WS. Akarshi, Malvika, Ashmita, all of no use. only the younger ones , anupama, unnati, tasnim can be our hopes to carry on indian WS. no hopes for paris or the next 2 years atleast. painful time which i am personally angry at because how do you go from sindhu saina period with 2 in top 8 to now 0 upcoming players capable of reaching top 10? the next potential good period would be after paris 2024 . we should have anupama , unnati, tasnim in full flow then .
    MD:
    MD1 is very good. satchi wr6 and looking to go upwards .MD1 for paris sorted. But the urgent question is of MD2. no good candidate for MD2. dhruv/arjun also not improved as much as required. cannot make the top 20 as things stand. Garaga/Panjala not looking good enough to make top 25 even in the next few years. we need our md2 to be top 16 and make the cut for paris atleast. Urgent improvement needed. we have to defend thomas cup as well and MD2 to be top 15 atleast is essential. looking forward to dhruv/kapila improvement as no upcoming MD as of now.
    WD: WD1 treesa/gayatri improving well and looking on course to be top 10 sometime before paris. WD2 remains a big issue with no one as of yet. Doubles needs huge focus from india ; not good shape. Paris 2024 will have atleast 1 representative - Jolly/Treesa. hoping for gradual improvement in WD.
    XD: Ishan is not upto intl level. tanisha is good , but needs better partner. absolutely no one in sight for next 2 years. dk if sai / tanisha will do enough to be a top 10 pair. we need atleast 1 top 10 pair in xd and need to focus on doubles. Probably no one in olympics 2024 in xd.
    I know the change in XD and wd cannot be sudden but hoping for a bright future

badmuse, Sumanth99 and Baddie lover like this.
  14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This.

I had this level confidence and ambition, but then life happened.

nilesh123 likes this.
  15. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Thanks for taking your time out for this.
    I'll keep it short

MS: Lakshay (ONLY). It'd be a pity if he doesn't medal in Paris.
    HSP is doing great by his standards but he has never looked like someone you can expect a medal from, could just be my prejudice, could just be his inconsistency.
    KS is gone.
    Priyanshu is fine, that's the apt word for now. He has however dramatically changed his style of play, hope he transitions better into the senior circuit.
    Everybody else unfortunately don't have the pedigree to make any noise in the senior circuit.
    Kiran, Gulshan, Mithun - it's already late.
    Meisnam- does he have good coaching and other facilities the former have? Always seem to be an outsider.
    Sankar- looks like a dialled down LS, good footwork though, and still very young to say anything about.

WS: PVS (ONLY) She outshines in majors, this time around it looks just that much harder but won't be surprised if she pulls off another bronze.
    Akarshi is waste of tax payers money, she has somehow cracked the code to beat her compatriots but that's that, no comment worthy victories against foreign players.
    Association should know, just because she beats these girls in domestic doesn't mean she deserves all this attention while others don't get any. Asmita is still technically more sound but doesn't participate much, Malvika has a longgg way to go and I'm afraid it's late for her.

Plenty of promise here, Tasnim, Anupama and Unati are all very promising, need to work on physical strength though. Miss farooqi is another Ira, Purva or Akarshi sadly.

Doubles: Would be a great disappointment if Satchi don't medal in Paris
    Tanisha needs a good partner. Would be great if she could pair Satwik, but why put a MD medal in jeopardy. Alas Ishan is what Jwala was to Ashwini. Same goes for Sai Pratheek.
    Ashwini doesn't have many years in her but hopefully she'll pass on as much as she can to Tanisha. The partnership is late.

Treesa is amazing, as they mature more I can see her and Gopichand make a consistent place for themselves in top 10.
    Tanisha's former partner (forgot her name) also has potential but unfortunately she's now paired with Sikki. The Reddys are just no good.

Dhruv/Arjun can become a top 15-20 pair.
    Garaga needs a new partner, maybe Sai Pratheek.

badmuse, Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  16. ChildrenOfBadminton

pretty much agreed, just 1 thing. I believe mithun is one of the best from the upcoming batch in MS just like priyanshu. he is 24 now, and many others also started to rise a bit late , eg- LKY, Wardoyo, etc. I believe he can still make it to top 20 by year end

17. Baddie lover

Chico has been a WJC silver medalist. Good player, but still not reached that level. In that case, Mithun lags. Hope, he becomes more consistent and rise in rankings.

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    So Ashmita Lost a see-saw battle to Line.
    I'm not saying Line K is a top player, but safe to call her a top 25 for few years now.

She had 5 GPs couldn't convert but I wish it was enough for the authorities to see, her potential against foreign players as compared to Akarshi, and hopefully she'll participate in enough tournaments now.
    On paper it's fairly late already for her aswell.

Kiran choked against LCY, who imo is another solid top25 player. But atleast he put up a good show. Hope he gets to partipate more now.
    On paper, late again.

Tanisha needs a better partner for XD, alas there's no one. Expected her to win with AP against the unknown CHN duo, disappointing.

Very disappointed by Treesa/Gayatri.
    Hopefully BSP goes far in this tourney, can get some faith back in himself.

Baddie lover likes this.
  19. ChildrenOfBadminton

LCY more like top 20 easy
    BSP showing some streaks of getting back his form but at 30 idk how much further he can go
    Kiran showing a bit of potential
    Akarshi is a lost cause imo. Bansod , Ashmita, Tasnim , Unnati, Hemanth have to be developed now.
    Rajawat is also playing well but need to work on closing out games a bit.
    MS upcoming is Rajawat , Kiran , Manjunath imo. Sankar and meiraba gotta improve to be considered.
    MD no upcoming guys atleast for now.
    WD same as MD.
    XD ishan /tanisha need to improve

20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member