HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2022 : Group Stage & Knockout Phase (7-11 December)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes its not really important, if its meant to be , the country will win in the Final.

AhsanHendra faced Fajri in SF in WC and none of them got gold. So the same will happen if both of them lost in SF.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, I won't dignify you with a reply as I refuse to stoop to your level in that kind of remarks. Besides, I never see China and Vietnam as enemies or unfriendly towards each other as that will play into the hands of the American Imperialist; on the contrary, esp after Vietnam joined China's massive BRI (Belt and Road Initiative), the more so with your ruling party chief Nguyen Phu Trong's recent visit to China and meeting with President Xi, I believe the peoples and governments of the two countries will further cement their relations in all respects, and that's great.

Back to badminton, it's the umpire who made the call and stood by it despite AY's protest, in vain, that's it. Like I said, let's hope there's a better mechanism that all can agree on to resolve such uncertain, bad or dubious calls in future. Personally, I feel it's silly for fans to engage in such petty quarrels now and then and be at each other's throats when the players themselves are normally not on bad terms and may even be best of friends off -court, at least they respect their opponents and hardly ever fight with each other except on-court as sportspeople.

I mean, I'd loathe to waste my precious time on such meaningless (esp personal) disputes and would much prefer we have fruitful debates, constructive criticisms, and exchange, discuss or share ideas and information, even if we can't always maintain cordiality with each other. Cheers.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  3. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Can anyone explain why the players in the same group are having a rematch in the semis? Why not top player of group A play 2nd player from group B? Why having another draw for semis? Now Victor is playing Naraoka, and Ginting is playing Christie again, a repeat of group stage?

Simeon and justiceforlcy like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel that Intanon Ratchanok's fitness let her down once again - after stepping up to level things up and take it to a third, she was running on empty in the decider and went down tamely to TTY.

Anks likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The WS is the most competitive, for the semis, any of the four stands an equal chance of winning the championship on Sunday.

So, it's Chen Yufei vs Akane Yamaguchi and He Bingjiao vs Tai Tzu Ying rematch in the semifinals tomorrow.

#125 Justin L, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    rakenrol and Anks like this.
  6. jsteve

jsteve Regular Member

The semi-finals (and in other tournaments also the quarter-finals) are drawn after the end of the group stage to avoid deliberately losing a match in the qualifying group. The departure from the early draw system was decisively influenced by the scandal at the Olympic Games in London, when the women's doubles pairs were disqualified for not wanting to win in the final group match.

justiceforlcy and DinB like this.
  7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Both you and me, didn't mention of Vietnamese and Chinese, OTHERS did. I'm happy for that.

About the rule, I accept the rule. But when look back to Chen's shot, It's not 1 stroke. Chen want to block the shuttle with her racket that mean she will not move her racket, just put racket on the shuttle's flying way.

When that movement took place, Chen realize that the shuttle will not come to Yamaguchi side, then she pushed her racket move ahead.

This is not 1 stroke if you look back the situation and read what Chen wants to do at her first touch.

Anyway, both Chen and Yamaguchi go though semi-final. I hope we can talk about this in easy way. (just like a discussion)

Michael V likes this.
  8. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

No, you clearly mentioned China quite a lot. Don’t use “bad English” as an excuse. Go learn some more English before spouting nonsense.

9. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

what is this "drift" (air stream) commentators mention about ?. Due to this, is there a side the players prefer more ?.

10. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Drift is how much the bird moves in a certain direction while travelling through the air. The amount of drift varies in each stadium depending on the positioning of air vents, how strong the vents are blowing air, and humidity.

The drift can sometimes change on semifinals/finals day since more people watching = more humid = more drift.

Doubles = hitting with the drift is better because it makes your attack stronger.

Singles = hitting against the drift is better because it's easier to play lifts/clears to move your opponent around the court.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Knockout phase result display many rematches, leaving XD and MD group winner swap different opponent.

upload_2022-12-10_7-15-49.png
    Prannoy created biggest talking point yesterday to outlast the semi invincible Axelsen, the Indian is one of only few players who could challenge and plunged the Olympic Champion into high degree intricacy. The prominent Dane was tense, moderately loose and misjudgment in some moments, had been tricked by Prannoy shot. Meanwhile Naraoka through to semis, a giant leap for the rookie in World Tour Finals debut, the Japanese disposed 26 years old Lu GZ who running slow-development career.

upload_2022-12-10_7-6-33.png
    WS semifinal represents powerful competitive field, interesting to wait whether the Chinese could replicate their group-stage duel against arch rival. He BJ scores clean sheet including the indecisive last clash against Busanan who nearly upset the sturdy Chinese, just two points away for home hopeful to reach finish line but He made inspiring comeback to derail losing plot. Tai TY beat Intanon in do-or-die match, both players own exquisite skill and identical disadvantage aspect to lose point casually, the Taiwanese was on her element in opening game then transformed into careless player completely in the second before regained her focus in deciding, what a weird chronicle to watch three lopsided games.

upload_2022-12-10_7-19-28.png
    All INA finals in the making?

upload_2022-12-10_7-19-52.png
    Another final and crown for Chen/Jia, sole title contender.

upload_2022-12-10_7-20-9.png
    Rivaldy/Mentari had dramatic ending to snatch semifinal spot, their fighting spirit quelled the shaky Gicquel/Delrue. Highly likely Zheng/Huang will confront home favorites in finale.

It'sMeMeMe and kurako like this.
  12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Prannoy's matches against Naraoka and Lu were such narrow defeats, and really could have gone either way. It is a shame that he has been eliminated, but he has proven his dark horse credentials again; it is dangerous to count him out at any level of the game.

This is really what I like about India's top MS players. Despite inconsistencies, they bring unpredictability and excitement to the game; it is difficult to foretell the winner, irrespective of world standing.

Martynas likes this.
  13. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    Ha
    haha what a lie. U are cursing the whole China team as if they deserve to have bad luck because of this incident. Are u trying to escape from the racist comment u made?
    Of course u don’t have to mention Vietnam because u have to cover up yourself. Shame on you, rather than apologising, making so many excuses with language barrier. it doesn’t seem you have issues with English LOL

Justin L and justiceforlcy like this.
  14. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Zheng Yu is throwing the G2 and the match. OTOH, Zhang Shuxian has improving a lot, hopefully she can become a next CQC. Semi-finalist is an encouraging position for this new debutant pair :confused:

15. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    I always think Zheng Yu is a good player and she deserves someone better than Zhang Shuxian
    Somehow China coaches have good hope for Zhang Shuxian, playing her both WD and XD with Guo Xinwa , but her XD result is really bad

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Many empty seats in the stadium.

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If CYF wins this semi final, she will take the title.

18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    The H2H between CYF and AY is now 9 -16 !!

Im frkin Upset with CYF and the only hope remaining for me to watch tomorrow's final with some pop corns etc is HBJ...Whatever happend to the charisma of the Great Wangs like Miss Wang Yihan,Miss Li Xuerui and Miss Wang Shixian.

The level of frustration with this chinese SINGLES squad is such that I,being a hardcore China Fan have just one MS ( Shi ) as my fav and no WS favs since the retirement of 2012 Gold n Silver medalist.:(

Sorry CYF you just dont deserve to be in the Finals.:mad:

Dont wanna jinx but Guchi is winning tomorrow she is winning very easily...Congrats in advance Yamaguchi !

19. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

jupe does not like a rematch in one tournament

20. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Racist ??? My great grandpa was Chinese. How can racist occur :D:D:D

You should know that there are people who name 阮 in China.

.Anyway, I think the situation 19-19 between Chen vs Yamaguchi in game 1 in semi-final match was a "reverse" for what was happened two days ago.

I will not mind it anymore.