Anders Antonsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Petersen, Oct 26, 2017.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Fair comments by AA.

#101 nokh88, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  2. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Wow! I have found a real gem of a video. This one will be an absolute pleasure to watch :D

3. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

What happened to Anders Antonsen? He looked poised to play the Denmark Open. Last I saw was his podcast with HKV and LZJ. Then I see that he gave a walkover to his R1 opponent.

What's going to happen as a result of all these missed matches? His ranking will certainly drop right?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Rules are there though.

The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of the service is attempted.

5. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    s_mair likes this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it can be funded in numerous ways. do you think viktor is paying 100% of his setup out of his own pocket? do you think viktor's training partners are training for free?

anders may not be using the same approach or structure as viktor. however, there's no way we can know how it's getting financed unless anders or viktor care to lay it out.

s_mair likes this.
  7. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Very good news!! Good for Anders. I suspect that he and Victor benefit from training with eachother greately. They are at least close. Not to forget that Dubai is a place that will burn your skin right off if you manage to fall asleep on the beach after a flight. Europe is cold and dark.

I saw that Victor released a new Auraspeed 90k. I am a little disspaointed that they did not talk about it in the podcast? It would be so interesting to know how much the players are involved in the design process when it comes to releasing a new racket :D

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Good work AA! He made a video about his decision and adressed the economic and Viktor Axelsen question I asked in my previous post. (He probably didn´t do the video because of my post, but I like to think so hehehe:cool:)

s_mair, samkool and Woesi like this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    his economic explanation is very vague, but that's the auditor in me talking.

the important thing is i hope it all works out for the better. the window of opportunity for success as a professional athlete is short and narrow.

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Very interesting developments. The sceptic in me has serious doubts, if AA has the required level of professionalism and determination to run such an operation on his own. I had the same doubts when Viktor made the same move and he proved me very, very wrong. So I guess we will have to wait and see how this all plays out. I just hope that he has a full picture of what a huge thing he is getting himself into.

That's a very important point. And imo this move is a one way street - at least I can't see AA creeping back under the roof of the Danish Federation in case his Dubai plan doesn't work out.

11. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Am I reading this right? You doubted if Viktor had the required level of professionalism and determination? (Mandarin says wtf?)
    If so, then you didn't know VA at all back then :p.. He is probably one of the most dedicated players our sport has ever seen. But I guess many of the small details that have led me to believe that never reach foreign press so that's fair enough.

Also.. what happened to AA's hair?? :eek:

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I had my doubts if he really could thrive in this new environment without his usual coaching team (especially Kenneth Jonassen) and without the daily sparring possibilities with other world class players (https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/viktor-axelsen.84219/page-44#post-2811718). As time has shown, this proved to be a much bigger loss for the other Danish players.

I started following him in 2014 when he was still an enormous hot head and went through a number of ups and downs. Viktor has matured a lot since then and has become a very organised and disciplined professional. But the way he nailed that move to Dubai and how he has developed since then in every aspect was just mind blowing to witness. He made it look so easy and I really hope that Anders doesn't fall into the trap of believing that a move like that actually is that simple.

13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'll just add that what works (worked) for one player doesn't guarantee it will work for someone else.

A bit dubious about AA's move too. I do not doubt his motivation but the possibility to sustain such an expensive and pressuring system over the years. It'll work if he gets results soon. And if he does, after the results he has obtained lately, that could pave the way to a new environmental system for players, still fully dependents of their respective federation/association. May be not a bad thing to wish him some sort of success.

s_mair and Cheung like this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If Anders gets consistently good results from this move, Lee Zii Jia has some serious thinking to do

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

@Hassefar60 I’m inclined to think Danish MS players are starting to like having more money in the pockets. Is that how the Danish media/people feel about this trend of players moving out of Denmark?

For me (all my personal opinions), the other reasons don’t make much of a sense

1. Yes, winters could be gloomy in Denmark. But summers can have the same same impact in Dubai
    2. Yes, Dubai is kinda in the middle for travel to both Asian, and European leg of tournaments. But the average travel time will not differ by much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

@mohans I wouldn't say that. There were some negative comments when Viktor moved but I think the majority were positive. Viktor also addressed many of those comments and their issues in his new book.

When it comes to money and taxes, the matter of the fact is that creating their own setup is simply not possible with Danish taxes considering the amount of money in the sport. And they are not doing anything new. Athletes from other sports have followed the money and moved to countries with lower taxes for decades. No one seem to complain about that.

1. Winters/summers. I don't know how it is to have asthma.
    2. You are, in my opinion, underestimating travel times, jetlag, travel expenses, availability of training partners.

There is a lot of talk between Danish players, commentators, experts about what badminton needs. They all seem to agree that the national associations need to have less power, players more. When a player from an Asian country tries to break ties with his/her overly restrictive national association we welcome it. When a European player goes solo, even though his association is not very restrictive, we (=some) are sceptic.

I think most of the negative comments have come from people who have not done their research properly. They are afraid that this is a risk to the Danish "food chain" of players, and then they play either the greed card (taxes) or the human rights card (Dubai). But let's be honest, MS is the only category where we are doing well at the moment (so focus on the others maybe?), our tennis players all move to Monaco (no complaints?), and our companies and government still do business with UAE (hypocrites much?).

I think this is a step in the right direction for the sport.

Woesi, Cheung, LenaicM and 1 other person like this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Listening to his latest podcast, his setup is far from defined yet. He is considering training in Asia and Danemark too from time to time. Also with VA when in Dubai, or at least he is hoping to do so occasionally.

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

He revealed in the badminton experience that his new coach will be former Danish player Joachim Pearsson.
    I was a little bit dissapointed to be honest as I was hoping for AA to hire a more fancy coach.
    Part of his explanation for moving, to my understanding, was to try new (non-Danish?) ways of training. If I´m AA I will try to appoint any of the following to be my coach :D : Li Mao, Kenichi Tago, Lee Hyun Il, Sony Dwi Kuncoro, any of the Sidek brothers or Tien Minh Nguyen.

Baddyforall likes this.
  19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Tin min Nyugen, I love to see him as a coach.