I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I've no doubt that badminton is or would be very enjoyable when visiting other countries!!

And I would agree that statistics can have limitations and can become irrelevant. But in this case, the statistics don't claim that badminton is not enjoyable in other countries and neither have I. I agree with you that it is so i'm very confused as to what question you are referring to that you suggest I asked, or what you are trying to demonstrate or why!

All i'm saying is that there's a good badminton culture in the phillipines , and it'd be very possible for him as a D player to find some C players that will play with him sometimes, . I'm sure you'd agree with that!

If you are referring to this statement

So you might interpret that as me asking a question of why can't he find any.. Well.. look, I know that in some clubs there might not be any. But there's lots of clubs! So yeah I understand the problem can exist of not finding better players.. Some people drive quite a bit for a badminton evening that pushes them. So all i'm saying is it seems like a solvable problem.. Now, one might say, maybe he has found a particular area of the phillipines that by chance happens to have no good badminton players. Or maybe there's only one club in that particular region of the Phillipines that he is in. Well, this would be getting very hypothetical now.

#461 ralphz, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Have you looked at the atg program? In my opinion it is the best athletic program on the market. Full body program , amazing for longevity and injury prevention. I highly recommend it for all badminton players

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I do ATG as well.

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    For some reason the korean team wants to spar with me and my coach tomorrow. So looks like we getting rekt tomorrow

Cheung likes this.
  5. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Do you want to get rekt? Are they THAT much better than you are currently?

Take a pen or two and some paper to write down on, put it in your badminton bag. Write down things you did well, and things you didn't do well when you have time between each game or when the day is finished.

Think of it as a flowchart, or problem solving.

"I didn't do this, so this event happened and this outcome happened"
    "I played this shot / was late and had to play this shot, then this outcome happened"
    "I won this point because this happened"

Make sure you have good sleep tonight. More than once I've gone to bed too late (tired) when I have a match I am nervous about and it shows in my gameplay and ability to read the game etc.

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yes, they're the team representing a city in Korea, and by looks of their play def A tier.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Great opportunity to assess how far you’ve come from a couple of years ago.

8. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Let us know how it went and what you learnt

9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Would be nice to have yes :)

ralphz likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Been training in Singapore since Dec 26, Under loh Kean Hean, #1 doubles player in Singapore and yes, brother to LKY.

Just gonna say.... its amazing what 1-2 hours of 1:1 with coaches/players of this caliber can do. I miss training/playing at this level. Really gonna suck when I go back to PH on the 10th.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have been watching some of the footage.

You strike the shuttle much better - however, you will probably find your forehand drive more inconsistent compared to the backhand drive, even though it's improved a lot with the training in Singapore.

13. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah I think it has to do with me still bringing the racket up too slowly on the forehand side. It's easier to get away with that as the action is much smaller on the backhand side so it appears better on that side. I'm also not used to the small explosive action on the forehand side, I think up till now I've been getting away with just swinging really big and me naturally being bigger it having the desired results. But yeah, if I want to elevate to that next level, gotta rework the bad habits.

Cheung likes this.
  14. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic

I realise that it's been a while since this was posted but seeing as I watched it I'll post some feedback anyway.

The main thing that stood out is that your partner here is quite selfish, you continually put them in an attacking position with some good returns off the serve and counterattacking net shots but they don't do the same, they mostly go for attack, flat or lift. This will really unstick you at higher level. You are the stronger one at the back and your partner is weak. I don't think they know what a net shot is. See 17.32 for an example, this is going to kill your rythmn.

Would be having a chat with my partner and pointing this out if you are continuing to play. I think you are ahead of your partner all around and if they can't accept they should setting you up more then you'd do better with someone stronger.

However you also need to block more on smash defence and vary, you almost continually lift back.

Rotation is poor also, see e.g, 5.26 your partner needs to rotate out right probably on the first smash, definitely on the second, look how big a gap got left. You literally need to shout during the rally to switch here so you can move forwards. Conversely 5.45 you unecessarily rotate out.

Also, more minor the first game where your opponents are not attacking the serve, there is never any point varying the serve in this instance, .e.g, 12.12, look how far back they are. If you lose points from a serve error in this game you've not thought about it as there's really no pressure on you. It's a simple percentage shot to the T all game unless they start moving forwards. You really need to think about these things in competitions.

#474 UkPlayer, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023