Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Why is it so hard to find news about him? Dint he used to have a youtube channel? I hope he plays in Malaysia nxt yr.

2. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Yeah he does but hasn't posted on it in a while. Not that he'd post that kind of information I would think.

3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The entire media apparatus is tip-toeing around the fact that Nishimoto beat Momota in that recent S/J League match. The only newspaper article covering the bout was headlined, "NTT-East beats JTEKT 2-1", thereby avoiding mentioning the players' names altogether. And JSports did not livestream the match, despite the fact that subscribers had an obvious interest in it.

Under normal circumstances, sports news would be screaming out aloud that Momota went down in straight games; it seems that 'special consideration' is currently being given to him.

NTT-East is coming down to Aichi prefecture (my home prefecture) this weekend to play their next S/J League matches. With Koga Minoru currently participating in the Norway International, I wonder whether Momota will feature. Or will it be Takei Riki's debut match? This being the S/J League, no-one will know until the day, but I am hoping to catch a glance of Momota, even be it on the bench.

Michael V and Schultzier like this.
  4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Actually, last weekend was the first time in nine years that Momota had been defeated in an S/J League match. The previous time was to Sasaki Sho. Here is a clip, which shows Nishimoto's moment of victory this month, as well as more extensive coverage of Momota's loss to Sasaki, ... which makes for quite nostalgic viewing.

Michael V, DinB and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  5. Samuel Kirk

Samuel Kirk Regular Member

Mabalacat City, Province of Pampanga, Philippines
    maybe momota is gambling again? like he did in the early days of his career along with Kenichi Tago.

6. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Are they afraid that if they upset him, he might retire?

7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

He is just having fun with badminton that's all.

Renmazuo27 likes this.
  8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Fabulous close up of Nishimoto's split steps! Amazing. It looks a bit exaggerated but this is the mental image I have in my mind to make sure I actually do my footsteps.

Momota used to look different from Nishimoto. Idk - I'm not seeing that difference now. I'm talking about their condition. Nishimoto is looking like he is in a much better condition that Momota.

Pcyl likes this.
  9. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Probably one of the more important things to be honest, the basis of it. Have fun and enjoy it.

Pcyl and Quentin11 like this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I went to see the S/J League matches in Aichi Prefecture this weekend, and the outing proved such a treat. Both Momota and Nishimoto played the singles matches for their respective teams! NTT-East brought along its A-Team, with MD1 comprising Koga/Saito, MS2 being played by Midorikawa/Yamashita (both usually National Team XD players), and Momota sandwiched between their matches.

Momota, a notorious slow starter, ended up losing the first game of his match, and had me worried. But, after the first game, he managed to exert control, and in customary fashion, moved his opponent around the court, exhausting him in the process.

Much more striking than this, however, was the perfection of Momota's form and elegance in movement, traits which, not having seen him play live for so long, had started to dim in my memory. Even now, he plays 'beautiful badminton', and it is simply mesmerising to watch in a live setting. Under normal circumstances, the audience or fans will vocally support their favourite players, but with Momota, everything and everyone falls into silence. He may have lost muscle mass and power, but certainly not his aura. Whatever happens from now, I am so happy to have been witness to this.

11. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Second that. I saw glimpses of his play in a random YouTube clip. I was able to witness some improvement in his footwork & sting in his smashes. Wonder if there are any YouTube videos of these matches available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pcyl and Renmazuo27 like this.
  12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Could it be that it is simply a perspective difference from watching on TV vs Live?

Who was his opponent?

13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Watching 'live' as compared to on a computer screen/TV are totally different experiences. Basically, you are amassing visual information through your own lens, and not that of an unknown cameraman, or simply a camera. And there is so much information/nuances to be had between points, or off-court for that matter.

When it comes to playing, irrespective of results, Momota, and probably Okuhara, play badminton with better form and grace than anyone I have seen (unfortunately I never saw Lin Dan in the flesh); and this comes across more emphatically when one is actually in an arena with them. Yamaguchi and Nishimoto provide great entertainment, but they do not play 'beautiful badminton'; it is a gritty, dogged, less elegant version of the game.

Momota's opponent was Nishino Masashi of Tokai Kogyo.

14. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Was this the same event that Momota played against Nishimoto which he lost or was this his newest match?

Im very curious, do you know if he still used the 77?

15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

This was the newest match. NTT-East (Momota) played against Tokai Kogyo in the morning session, and the JTEKT Stingers (Nishimoto) were pitted against Consadole in the afternoon.

Yes, Momota still used the 77 PRO.

Pcyl, Renmazuo27 and Schultzier like this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Simply explained, the journalists played their part in destroying their Olympic hope.

trizzforce likes this.
  17. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    Momota is the best with Tai Tzu Ying :)

Sundis likes this.
  18. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
  19. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Momota's movement looks quite good here :

Pcyl, Schultzier and lodoss like this.
  20. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Really appreciate if can keep us informed at what point our hero will suffer setback again or will finally rise again. Especially, when meeting Nishimoto or when meeting Naraoka ...

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

akatsuki2104 likes this.