Which racket to buy?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kevindd992002, Oct 28, 2022.

1. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    So I consider myself an intermediate player and nowhere near advanced, yet. I've been using the Panda Power Titan since 2018 and it started to have a crack line in the top part of the head so I need to replace it. I'm not an expert in racket specs and is why I'm trying to ask for recommendations here on which racket to buy.

- I'm more of a smasher than a drop/net player. Does that mean I want a head heavy racket?
    - I'm not sure about stiffness too. I definitely don't want a flexible racket but I also don't want a super stiff racket
    - Would a 4U weight be more sensible?

I've done a bit of watching in Youtube and came about the Victor Thruster F Enhanced Edition as one of the best rackets one can buy but I think it's too expensive for my level. Any suggestions?

2. Raju

Raju Regular Member

If you really like smashing then you will love head heavy balance racquets. You can give it a try with OG astrox 77, Apacs assiliant pro, Astrox 88D pro.
    TKFE is more of an even balanced racquet.

pootisfoib likes this.
  3. kevindd992002

Engineer
    I see. I do like smashing a lot but it's about time to improve my game more by adding more drops and net plays in it. If this is my goal, would an even balanced racket make more sense?

Also, the TKFE has a more Isometric head that makes the sweet spot larger, right?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It makes complete sense. I don't have a recommendation - my racquet is a Yonex 88D Pro 4U which some people say is quite stiff. It is said to be head heavy though for me, not overtly so. My game style is more counter attacking.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The downgrade of TKF are TK Hawk, but idk how it perform.
    There also TK Legend that likely its downgrade of TK Ryuga & again idk how it play.

On Yonex list there is 88D Tour or Games that might fit your budget. Or 77 OG/Pro/Tour/Games.

6. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Choosing a badminton racket is super hard. At a non-pro level, it's not like you can try your choices first before you buy. I do have the budget but I'm not sure if going full on with the Victor Thruster F Enhanced Edition would give me the benefits of the racket itself.

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For non pro its all about ego. We love the feel or not. Performance wise, nothing on our player skill that would be improved or at most it wont be much significant to tell the difference.
    I own TK770, my pure power racket.
    I also own P8, my all rounder.
    I own UC5000, my lazy games racket.
    & Last i own AVP, my speed racket (dislike it & rarely used)

Doesnt mean im become an idiot when using AVP, but i just dont like the feel. TK770 are very addictive i term of smashing feel yet P8 had very satisfying control & stability.

So its not easy to ask others review as its all about how it satisfy our feel & different people had different feeling & perspective. Better for you to test it yourself like borrowing friend racket of possible.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I used to use the Titan. I found it very stiff. Mad power on drives and touch play but couldn't tame it for the big smash.

I think head heaviness is user preference, but usually smashes prefer head heavy. I do. If you can handle a titan in don't think you need to worry about anything being too stiff.

Is there anything you would change about it? I found it too light. Mine was 83g and I prefer 3u. I'm currently on S pro 3u, similar solid feels and responsiveness from short stiff shaft, "weak smash" apparently but finding it fine.

I have to ask, can we see photos of the damage? It sounds like high noon issue.

9. Raju

Raju Regular Member

Head heavy racquets do perform well for drops, net play. Only area where they lack are fast flat drives and defence under difficult situations.
    If you are looking for all round racquet then TKFE fits your needs. Head shape is different compared to Yonex but larger sweet spot I am not sure about it.

10. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Come to think of it, I don't think I can really handle the Titan. I tried my old Yonex Nanospeed 300 earlier during a match and I can say I can smash better with it. I just don't like its weight. I think I'm better off with a racket that's:

4u
    a bit head heavy for smashing
    not too stiff like the Titan
    isometric head for a larger sweetspot (more forgiving since I still tend to mishit significantly)

FWIW, when I was using a Precision Pro in the past when they were still available, I liked it better than the Titan.

Here are the pics of the damage, you can't really miss it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kevindd992002

Engineer
    I see. Yeah, I do want an all around racket because my skill level is still at a point that I need to improve my consistency and technique in playing, and still do mishits here and there. Is the TKFE one of the newer rackets around too?

12. kevindd992002

Engineer
    @Raju do you have any more comments? I already inquired locally and saw that I can pre-order the TKFE for $185.

13. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

I’d say go for it. TKFE is relatively newer and is very popular. It’s a good all-around racket with a slight lean towards attacking-focus. One thing to keep in mind is the unique head shape. It’s taller than average, but also not as wide. It may take a little getting used to.

#13 pootisfoib, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  14. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Thanks. Yeah, but it tends to be more forgiving, right? I kinda am biased towards forgiving since I still do mishits.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

15. Raju

Raju Regular Member

Don't worry about mishits and clashes. I have clashed my TKF enhanced thrice and not even a paint chip. It's relatively new racquet and quiet popular among badminton lovers. I am more of doubles, back court player and I currently use 88D pro as my main racquet. I switch between 88D pro and TKF enhanced depending on my opponents game. TKF enhanced feels easy on shoulder and forgiving.

I would definitely recommend you to try it out before buying.

16. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Got it. I don't have any way to try it out because I don't know of anyone here that uses it but I'm pretty much convinced by you guys to buy and try it out for myself. I'm just not sure, at this point, if I want the 3U or 4U version. 3U is more for attacking in doubles, right? I'm really more of an attacker than a defender.

17. Raju

Raju Regular Member

I have both 88D pro and TKFE in 4U. Compared to 88Dpro, TKFE feels light and swings faster. Never played with 3U till now.
    As said before if you are back court player or likes play offensive game your best bet would be head heavy racquets. Astrox 77 OG, 88D pro.

18. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Are there any published values for the TKFE's BP and stiffness?

19. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

The BP won't give you the best picture of the actual balance of the racket as the free core in Victor Rackets kinda changes how the racket reacts. But based on having played with the OG 88S 88D Pro and TKFE Claw - the TKFE is close to the OG 88S in BP but have more of a snap in the flex without being medium in flex.

Raju likes this.
  20. Carlson99

Carlson99 Regular Member

coach
    I've tried most of the Yonex series and always thought I'd stick with the brand...then I tried Li-Ning Axforce 90 (terrible), then Victor Thruster F (amazing). It really just does everything well. Some Astrox are good with certain shots, but rubbish with others. This Victor can do everything the Astrox can and more. Highly recommended.