Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The Japan Sports Agency, Japan Olympic Committee (JOC), and other associations convened today to determine what penalty should be awarded to the Nippon Badminton Association for the misappropriation of 6.8 million yen of players' prize-money, and subsequent concealment of this fact. The decision has been made to slash next year's Government subsidy by 20%, which equates to withholding 35 million yen from a subsidy of 170 million yen.

This is actually quite a chunk, and may have ramifications on overseas tours. I expect some heads will roll.

CLELY and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

There are "the three" Nishimoto, Tsuneyama, Naraoka on practice court. I didn't see Momota.

But in another video from Jia Yifan, there is a guy with grey cloth who look like Momota (especially his yellow hair near his forehead).

And you know what, Momota's name was still on BWF draw.

In many movie I used to watch, king of gambles always come on time in the contest ^-^.
    31.jpg
    33.png
    32.png

3. terrynguyen121988

it's done, Li Shi Feng changed Momota's position.

Cheung likes this.
  4. terrynguyen121988

They banned Tago for life for gambling.

They cover for corrupt people.

Wow

Cheung and Michael V like this.
  5. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Still fake news or nah?

6. terrynguyen121988

Nishimoto was out, this can be due to the very late match.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Shouldn’t this be some sort criminal proceedings against the individuals who misappropriated the funds?.

Cutting the government subsidy harms the innocent.

I know the coaches are well paid. I wonder if a couple of the overseas coaches contracts will not be renewed, especially in light of less successful title wins recently.

8. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Kodai Naroka will be Japan's number one men's singles player in near future.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  9. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Yuta/arissa withdrew from french open? Why?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yuta didn't seem to be interested in his games in Denmark from what I seen. Both of them making tons of unforced errors. And Yuta making his usual fake one direction but hit another direction shot which fools exactly no one. Injury perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

11. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Naroka improved so much since his thomas cup where shesar pretty much blew him away? He is going to overtake momota’s ranking if it keeps going like this

12. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Japan has gotten itself another WS World Junior Champion in Miyazaki Tomoka! She's is only 16 year old, so she has a chance to repeat Yamaguchi's accomplishments! I've noticed her since the junior tournament in Malaysia last month when she beat a bunch of 3rd year players to get to the final, only to lose it narrowly. I thought that she could go deep in the junior championship, but she went all the way to the end! A more well rounded player than Gunji, in my opinion, so hopefully she can follow in the footsteps of Yamaguchi better than Gunji has been doing!

visor likes this.
  13. yuon

yuon Regular Member

According to Steen, he is at #10 and is the highest ranked Japanese player if only the points for this year are counted, so this is only a matter of another month or so.

Don't know what happened in between the Thomas Cup and the Singapore Open because he totally transformed into a much better player all of a sudden. I almost wrote him off as another Tsuneyama/Nishimoto after seeing his performance in Korea and at the Thomas Cup, but it's nice to see him living up to his potential, finally. However, I am noticing that he's starting to go back to his safe smash placements that got him nowhere earlier this year. Wonder if it has anything to do with the coaching change from Imabeppu Kaori to Nakanishi when he got promoted to Team A.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Hmmm... interesting development, especially as more attention was being paid to Akechi Hina.
    Where are the male players, though? Not too much promise on that front.

trizzforce likes this.
  15. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Miyazaki beat both Akechi and Yoshikawa Sorano, the current high school champion, in Malaysia, so it's not too much out of the blue. Akechi hasn't done well since she won the tournaments in Europe. If I remembered correctly, she lost in the QF at this year's inter-high.

The male players all crashed out by the second round. Tough early draws for all of them, but that's no excuse if they want to medal. Two of them could have won their matches, but, unsurprisingly, if anybody could lose to the pressure, you can count on Japanese players to do it .

16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

True, but the tournaments in Europe were held in June, i.e., not too long ago, and even in Malaysia, Akechi was a semi-finalist.

As far as this year's Inter-high is concerned, Miyazaki fared worse than Akechi, and did not even make it past R3. Having said that, she is still extremely young and, no doubt, very gifted. It will be interesting to see how far she progresses in this year's All-Japan Championships. Let's see if she can get onto the National B Team.

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Guys, it's off topic. But related to badminton players, when I saw the list of players registered in Australian open, I noticed all the male japanese players' names start with the letter 'K' registered in that.
    Koki Watanabe, Kenta Nishimato, Kanta Tsuneyama, Kodai Naroaka and the famous Kento Momota ( not registered)and Kenichi Tago ( not registered, just saying) etc. I want to know is it so majestic in Japan when named with letter K?

18. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I think this is just pure coincidence. You have to read Japanese people's name based on the kanji, and coincidentally these players' names start with "Kou", "Ken" or "Kan".

19. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    I don't know the young Japanese players but I saw Miyazaki san's final on Sunday. It's very nice to watch, I found that she is very motivated, she has a very good technique, a good physique, she moves fast and she plays very intelligently.

20. dbolf

dbolf Regular Member

Software Developer
    Final:

Semifinal:

Quarterfinal:

visor and kurako like this.