Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with you.

There will be people quite talented in maths doing calculations but these all include assumptions. The gold standard would be to have a camera at exactly that level showing all the details in 120fps. That's not impossible to do with the technology we have now.

Justin L likes this.
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Accusing somebody of match fixing is one thing , which should be made with proper evidence. CBA dont have any proper evidence . It's more like emotional . These doesn't have to occur to IND pair or anybody of that matter to know that.
    These type of occurrences keep on hindering the beauty of the sport . These need to be addressed asap .

3. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Pan Yi Long, a 16 year old Ms player in the WJC is such an intelligent player. He is always thinking of his next placement. He has good net play and defence. If he can develop a really strong smash and improve his speed to the net, it will make a big improvement to his game. He also needs to gain height and physical strength. Hope to see more of him in the future. I doubt he will be the Champion though.

4. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Zhu Xuan Chen also played well but he lost Alex Lanier.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's for BWF, the governing body, to do the investigation, not CBA, or any BA , for that matter.

Absolutely, such occurrences not only hinder the beauty but also mar the integrity of the sport and needs to be addressed asap.

6. antssantss

Retired
    As expected the Ms players were eliminated in the quarterfinals. I am not surprised. Both of them didn't have a good strong smash. Their opponents scored many points with their smashes. I can't understand why this is so as all the top players need it to win their matches.

7. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Sum chao is badly missed in the tournament. When Liu Liang participated in junior events, he was so good in attacking but he does so many silly mistakes frequently.

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Shankar subramanian who won the Chinese player doesn't have powerful smash , he won it through defensive play. He is a defensive player. He took everything chinese player thrown at him which frustrated him. And also, both of them were so exhausted as their match was longest ofthe day. 91 mins total. Both asked for doctor. And also both of them didn't know how to finish the rallies quickly. Every point , they worked so hard to earn it.

CLELY likes this.
  9. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Pan Yinlong, Hu Zhean and Wang Zijun are 2006 boys participating in an under-19 tournament -- many of the other competitors are 2004. If you look at things from this perspective, there is room for growth. Time will tell.

I think a fair bet for stardom is the 16 year old girl Yuan Anqi. 15 year old Xu Wenjing is also highly rated by some.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yuan Anqi played Leona Lee (who is a year older) of England as a friendly match. It was a dead rubber as China had already won the tie. The video has been removed from YouTube. Leona was comfortably beaten. Comfortable match for Yuan winning in two sets.

Do China regard the WJC as a training exercise to get experience for their younger players?

11. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Could be, in part at least. Especially for the MS, the only 18 year old they sent was Zhu Xuanchen. Actually, Zhu Xuanchen made it only to the QF of the recent China youth championships in his age group. He was beaten by Wang Yifan, who in turn lost to Yang Zipei in the finals.

I think the black and white top is the Wang Yifan who made it to the finals:
    -- https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1s4411G7v4/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click. He's supposed to be a little short (?1.65m, ?1.72m), so some doubt his potential to develop into someone top-flight.

tbgoh288 and Cheung like this.
  12. antssantss

Retired
    Thank you for the videos. Kodai Naroaka is not tall but he is an intelligent player. I rate him the top Japanese player.
    Yes I agree the 15 and 16 year olds are the future but they need the power game. They already have good strokeplay

13. antssantss

Retired
    I will stick my neck out and say that Hu Zhehan has the most promising future. His defence and stroke play was impressive.. When he develops the speed and power he will have a good repertoire of strokes. I am looking forward to see him in future tournaments

14. antssantss

Retired
    Congratulations to the team for being in all the finals except the MS. The XD performed extremely well. I also take the view that the CBA were testing their younger players in the MS discipline. I hope they will send out a team of young singles players for experience

#4314 antssantss, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  15. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

@antssantss @Justin L What d you think about winners of doubles categories in junior world championship??

16. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Liu Sheng Shu Is undoubtedly the star of the WJC with two titles. She made her long awaited international appearance after being touted as the next big thing in the last 1-2 years in the Chinese league.

She’s on a 28 matches winning streak (WJC individual and team) and the German junior in her first three international tournaments. She only lost 1 set (in the finals of the WJC) in the entire streak,

Looking toward to see her in her senior career with Tan Ning next year. China women double is currently weak, so she will be a welcome addition to the senior squad

tbgoh288 likes this.
  17. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

We will see her in next month, Also impressed with Zhu Yi Jun who won two titles.

18. antssantss

Retired
    Just watched both doubles. In the MDs both pairs were very talented and it was a great match. I am amazed at the quality of China's doubles. They play so naturally its a joy to watch. They have speed and power with great combination. However the pace of the senior game is another level so it's difficult to say they will make it,. But they have the talent indeed. Just hope they will have more power to take on the seniors.
    Similarly the WD was a fast game. Both ladies were aggressive especially LSS. I must say I didn't expect China to produce such good players in this discipline. There are some very good coaches evidently, who seem to impart play of high standards in all the doubles.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Excellent, the junior doubles players are doing better than their seniors in MDs and WDs, and just as well in the XD department. It surprised me somewhat because the CHN junior doubles players are not trained by the Korean import coaches, as far as I know.

As for the CHN junior singles campaign at the world junior championships, the results were disappointing without any MS representatives from the semis and only one WS, Yuan Anqi, in the semis and final where she lost to the skinny JPN opponent, Miyazaki.

To me, I find YAQ's game a bit too passive, too much of a stroke player, lots of lifts and clears and drop shots, some net play, too few injection of pace and the occasional smash. In fact, she is more often than not on the defensive, unlike her shorter and very slim ( I almost thought she's undernourished) Japanese adversary who's seizing the initiative to attack most of the time. Yes, I prefer the JPN player's game.

Actually, when YAQ, one game down, came back from the brink of defeat in G2, saving 2 matchpoints and winning the deuce, 22-20, to force the decider, and was pumped up to lead 11-8 by the mid-game interval, I thought YAQ might take the title. But, alas it was not to be, her feisty opponent fought back to take the next 6 points and managed to maintain the lead all the way to the end by continuing her more proactive game to emerge WS champion, scoring 21-14, 20-22, 21-17.

However, as they are still very young, both girls only 16 years old, I shan't read too much into it.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  20. viver

viver Regular Member

If we look in past history, China had excellent WD teams but not always MD. I am not so sure about hiring Korean coach(es) for the WD, I am in the opinion that Chinese coaches have the technical know-how but need some work in the problem solving area. Looking back at the pairing of Fu Haifeng & Cai Yun, Tang Xianfu did mention the worked hard on their first 3 strokes with some technical adaptations to counter the serve especially from the Koreans.

I also watched some matches of the WJC. The Chinese girl is quite tall, 176cm at 16 years old. She might be able to develop into a strong player in the future, but need to be more assertive - she has a good overall technique but not aggressive enough, I think expecting errors from her opponent rather being more proactive and finish the rallies. I am also not quite sure about her frequent shouts, even when for unforced mistakes by her opponent - it's positive to be focused on your match but I believe this over-excitement is not that positive for her focusing, like she is lacking the confidence in herself. The same thing could be said about the boy that lost to the Thai player in the Semis.

Sumanth99 likes this.