Deep pain around the thumb and index finger

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by the_crab, Sep 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. the_crab

the_crab New Member

Hi,

I have had a pain deep inside my hand around the thumb and index finger. It started about 2 months ago and I've been going to a physio for 1 month but it doesn't improve at all despite all the massage and ultra sound.

I've illustrated the pain in the attachement, it is especially painful when I clear and smash.

I feel the same pain when I open a bottle of water or when I unlock my door.

Has anyone had that kind of pain or know what it is?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Did Badminton cause it?

Have you tried using a lighter or head light racquet?

Have you tried a larger grip on the racquet?

Has the physio given you any exercises to do? It's quite worrying if they haven't given you any exercises to do to make it better.

I'm seeing one for tennis elbow pain and they have been very knowledgeable so far.

They've done massages, given me several exercises to try, told me about K-Tape (probably won't help with your injury), braces etc.

Have you tried using a "powerball" ? It's a hand held device with a gyroacellerometer in it. You start it by pulling a cord, and grip it in one hand and move it in circles to keep it spinning or make it spin faster. Good for strengthening wrist / fingers.

3. Alexious

Alexious Regular Member

this is just my guessing
    but perhaps did u do wrong handgrip?

i have injury like that because i didnt know how to grip properly
    i used my thumb and index finger to hold the grip when i smashed or clear
    it's been better when i learn how to grip properly and my smash's been more powerful

but if u do grip properly
    then i dont know what's wrong with u

4. senthilprakash selvaraj

senthilprakash selvaraj Regular Member

Oh yeah...i am just recovering from exact same issue bro. along with the pain, you should notice an abnormal lump below index finger and where the thumb finger join .. am I correct?

well if yes, that lump is because of the fluid from inside the bone leaking out and solidifying. i took a rest from badminton for more than 2 months but I could not recover.

I did two things, I changed to a lighter racket and strengthened my wrist using hand grip exercises.

I think this happened (stress fracture) because I was flicking using a 180gm training racket and at some point it got stressed. rest and strengthening your wrist is the only option. now touch wood I think I have recovered from the injury but I am very cautious still.