Need help on Smash Technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by csandres, Aug 14, 2022.

1. csandres

csandres New Member

thanks for the tip! @Cheung

here are my shots for today adjusting based on your comments

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good improvements

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree. Adjusting pretty fast.

Keep doing that because you need to get used to it.

The other major thing I would try to adjust is when you raise your left arm behind you, the position of the left elbow is too low. Try to put the elbow just below shoulder height - that would help your ability to hit the shuttle at a higher striking point.

Other than that, keep practicing for a few weeks. Later there will be some more minor refinements but spend time to get these major basic techniques into muscle memory. It will pay off in the long run.

Mason likes this.
  4. csandres

csandres New Member

hi guys been on a holiday for a week and returned to the court today, here is my current progress.feel free to comment!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This area you haven’t made any progress. Get the elbow higher.

When you swing to strike the shuttle, try to stretch the elbow higher towards the ceiling.

6. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Look at a video of a left hander like Lin Dan or Kento Momota if you want a visual guide TC.

7. csandres

csandres New Member

thanks guys!!!

8. csandres

csandres New Member

hi guys this is my current progress. i think i have a solution not to tuck my arms down, i ensure that i can see the rackets head forward and that is my indication that my arms are raised. here is my current progress.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I am not a coach but I think you should practice throwing shuttles (without a racket ) along with some basic footwork. You had the same problem I had of not using my body and the kinetic chain in the stroke. By throwing shuttles it will force you to learn that. Can you show us what it looks like you throwing shuttles ?
    Also I think it would be good for us to see some basic rear court footwork using your racket but without shuttles.

10. csandres

csandres New Member

thanks for the tip. i think with the footwork, i should ask my friend to send it at my back as the shots i made for the latest video are somehow in front of me already and full footwork can only be seen once it is send at my very back. but will take note of this thank you!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Would like to see this as well. It would be useful.

#31 Cheung, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well it’s easy to see your footwork from the video you showed us. But you are not doing proper badminton footwork. It’s actually fairly easy to see the main issues. For example , you should be loading your left leg to start your “swing” . The power from your shot will start with your left leg. Right now your are just stepping on your left left and not really using it .
    That’s just one example of where the footwork is improper. Trust me as person who started from the ground up with no proper coaching , getting your footwork together will give the best improvements to your stroke and your game !
    :)

13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yeah, i'd add though that footwork is a HUGE subject.. A big percentage of the game is footwork, and even that is an understatement..People spend years learning it(to say the least)

Even within that little half court exercise, there's the footwork to get it when it's a bit to the left, or a bit to the right or directly behind you.. flatter ones, higher ones.. The idea of a scissor kick. Recovery to a base.

And of course one can't normally go from not knowing much of those things to trying to do them all at once, so i'm just pointing out some of the breadth of the task re footwork, So to say footwork will help, it's a bit like saying 70% of Badminton will help your Badminton. Saying "footwork", is easier said than done.

14. csandres

csandres New Member

thanks for the tips! I am also aware that footwork is the game changer, will do practice it definitely but for the mean time im doing baby steps. one by one. there are a lot of factors to consider, like timing, power etc. but will definitely practice this aspect along the way

15. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

You can break down every shot into what happens at and below the waist. And everything that happens above the waist (head, arms. shoulder, elbow, hands etc).

So with clear, the top half of the body would have you practicing the racquet carriage (arc motion from start of swing to end of swing), hitting point, grip etc.
    The bottom half would be waist (starting sideways on), getting to the shuttle and everything else the legs and feet do during the shot.

You can do exercises to learn the top half, learn the bottom half, put them together, and complex ones to improve efficiency and technique once combined.

16. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

ralphz, Signature and Cheung like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is exactly what he should be doing ! He could do this without a partner and just line up 12 shuttles in the front court and then go back do some the rear court work with throwing it !

18. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Looks good, some might suggest something heavier than a shuttle.. 'cos some people can hurt their shoulder if trying to throw something really light..(or if trying to throw something a lot lighter/heavier than what one normally throws/uses in their sport). Perhaps there are shoulder warm ups.. But throwing shuttles is common, so that aside.

In the throwing exercise shown, the player is only going straight back..

If we look at the video where he is doing the exercise in the half court, you wrote that his footwork is at issue.. You mentioned his scissor kick.

A footwork issue he has in the half court video he showed, was that the shuttle is lifted sometimes a bit to one side of the half court. or a bit to the other side of the half court.. That won't be touched on in the throwing exercise shown.

And, not to suggest that the throwing one would only help footwork, but the aspect of footwork that that throwing one could help , is the scissor kick, which you mentioned, Though i'm not sure that the scissor kick was the main footwork issue he had in that exercise he did. Worth bearing that in mind.

#38 ralphz, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  19. Signature

Signature Regular Member

I think throwing shuttles is great, not only to teach footwork but also to illustrate how to generate power in badminton in general. The speed from the shuttle throwing will be build bottom up, like an actual stroke, but you won't be able to cheat by only using your arm.

I would start to seperate the throwing and the footwork. Maybe do an exercise like 4 corners for the footwork, see our Youtube friend Play faster than your shadow or Tobias wadenka etc, and start slow. Quantity of Quality will do the trick.

Next for throwing shuttles, do a standstill shuffle for the throwing focusing on the chain of rotating the hip into torso into elbow. This video should illustrate the concepts but we are always here to help aswell!

Mason likes this.
  20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is also a very good video