What is open play badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SSSSNT, Aug 6, 2022.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I see badminton places in North America has what's called open play badminton. Anyone knows how it works? Is anyone allowed to just come, pay and play with anyone who's there? Who supplied the shuttles? Do you bring your own?

Thanks in advance!

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I much suspect it is similar to "no strings badminton" that is ran in England. Badminton England made an initiative to get people interested in the sport. You would just turn up, pay at reception and play for the time allocated (1hr to 2hrs depending on the venue). When they started it, there was a loyalty program. I still have my Tshirt from getting 8 stamps :D.

They used to provide a "co ordinator" person that would tell who would play with who when people turn up, but not all sessions have that role any more. In my experience most venues provide the shuttles. But bring your own plastic / Feather shuttles just to be on the safe side.

https://www.worldbadminton.com/whereToPlay/unitedStates/index.html I found this website which seems to list just over 100 "open play" sessions with contact details where possible. Hope this helps