India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It's not rocket science. Srikanth is the sole reason for our loss. We predicted already , we have to get 2 singles to go for final tie. But he ****ed up big time. Dont have to imagine the atmosphere over there in the dressing room. Though they comfort him, they must be cursing him. From what I have seen yesterday in srikanth's match, I must say, this is the best he could give. He aged already. The biggest blunder is selecting him instead of choosing the best indian player. Who did this selection?. I am done

2. Airos

Airos Regular Member

The point of rotation is that the players get less tired.

Now that we have lost, even I wish Lakshya was playing. Maybe Srikanth would have been better option for semis. But I think nobody could have known how it will turn out. Srikanth was clearly nervous and making too many unforced errors. His opponent NTY also played really well. Even the commentators said he is underrated and should be ranked closer to Srikanth.

Also, I don't think your comparisons are fair. Chen Jin is actually junior to Lin Dan and Nishimoto's accomplishments are nowhere close to Momota's. Lakshya and Srikanth are only a few rankings apart.

Anyway, I hope we make up for the team event loss in the singles and doubes events, and win at least 2 golds. It will not be easy. Only Sindhu looks like a favourite, and even she has to face the likes of Michelle Li and Goh Jin Wei.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I was pointing out about the rotation thing. Not the age factor or accomplishment. It was mainly a thing bw MS1 and MS2.

Even before the lineups were released, I was thinking Lakshya will play. And if Srikanth plays, I thought of giving him 70 percent chances of winning. But, I would have surely used Lakshya for final.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Srikanth fitness now exposed. ;)

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

OK, I am really happy today!
    India has surpassed all my expectations.
    Even after the disappointment in the team event finals, India has managed to win 3 golds and 6 medals overall. Last time we had our best ever performance at CWG with 2 golds and 6 medals, and we have even surpassed that with 3 golds and 6 medals. Once again we are the best badminton nation in CWG. Super!

This commonwealth was really good in general. Despite not having shooting which gave us maximum golds last time, we still won over 20 gold medals. Had shooting been there, we would surely be in top 3 nations in CWG.

I feel like watching all the gold medal finals full matches again - especially the one of Lakshya. Is there any link to see on internet?

6. browning

browning Regular Member

If you can get UK VPN/proxy/Tor node (any email to register will do):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...on-gold-medal-matches?seriesId=b00v7pls-today
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/commonwealth-games/60855420#

Nice way for India to end, hope they have success at World Champs and rest of tour that's far more important. Also nice to see Thinaah (Tamil heritage right?) win.

(As an aside I question whether India should be in the Common"theft" Games in the future seeing the shenanigans the organisers have pulled and are planning but that's for another time).

Cheung, Airos and Sumanth99 like this.
  7. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Thanks for the links. Will check them.
    (As for Commonwealth:D, from the discussions I have heard, most people think India will eventually get out of the commonwealth group. It could be 10 years, or it could be 50 years, but we will probably get out of it one day. And that is what a self respecting nation should do. In any case, despite all the shenanigans, I think it is fun watch these games.)

Cheung likes this.
  8. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I understand your point regarding self respect, but I think CWG gives opportunities for a lot of players who would not have gotten any attention or exposure otherwise. Even Badminton got a lot of attention once Saina and Jwala/Ashwini won gold in 2010. I mean I never thought I would have watched Lawn Bowl if not for Indians performing well in CWG. Excelling in CWG is also a great stepping stone to excel further in tougher multi-sport games like Asian games and Olympics.

Airos and Cheung like this.
  9. rajat_remar

Sindhu did great but not so impressive outing for Akarshi Kashyap losing very tamely to Gilmour after struggling to win against Mahoor Shehzad of Pakistan. To think that she qualified after beating all other Indian WS players is a bit disappointing. The coaches really need to focus on WS. Only Tasneem Mir and Unnati Hooda and looks promising as of now.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pluses and minuses for the commonwealth games.

Airos, Baddie lover and rajat_remar like this.
  11. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Yes, there are pros and cons to quitting CWG. In fact, in several sports like Athletics, Hockey, Squash etc. the competition in CWG is actually much stronger than Asian Games. In badminton AG gives a tougher challenge, but only because we live in Asia which is the toughest badminton continent. But CWG badminton is still tougher than many other continents. For example, Michelle Li won 3 consecutive Pan American Games gold in badminton in 3 appearances, but even after 4 CWG appearances she has only 1 gold and 1 silver.

It does not have to be very soon, but I think we will need to quit CW one day. We will still have Olympics, Asian Games etc. May be we can even form new kind of alliance games.

I will say this again - until we have a new WS player who can break into at least top 25, it will be utter stupidity to replace Saina. Currently we don't have anyone(except Sindhu and Saina) even in top 50. The argument that Saina will be 34 and hence too old in Paris is utter rubbish. Look at Sharath Kamal, the Table Tennis star; he just had his career best CWG at the age of 40. Saina will still be 6 years younger in Paris and even younger in the next Asian Games. Saina had 2 bad years due to fitness, but who knows - she might again bounce back to top 10 with a couple of good tournaments.

As for Sindhu, Sindhu now has the full set of WS medals in CWG(gold, silver, bronze). I hope she can do the same for Olympics. But I don't want to put too much pressure on her - I will be happy even with another bronze.

12. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I would also like to make some corrections. I noticed I made some mistakes in the info I provided last page.
    Prakash Padukone and Syed Modi won CWG gold in 1978 and 1982 respectively(not 1974 and 1978).
    And Lee Chong Wei won 3 CWG MS gold medals(not 2).

13. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Tough draw for all Indian players at this year's world championships. I hope we get at least one medal. And I hope Sindhu can beat An Se-Young this time.

And speaking of CWG, I learned that they are planning to remove wrestling next time. After 2010 they removed archery. Then they reduced the number of events in shooting and wrestling. Then this time they removed shooting. And now they are planning to remove wrestling also next time. What's next, badminton?

14. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No, India.

Airos likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

Indirectly, they are saying that stop Indians in getting medals. See, swimming is the one which brings more golds to australia. Why cant they remove that sport?. This has spoiled players who were very eager to win medals in categories like archery and Greco Roman wrestling and shooting. But this will also enhance the possibility of getting medals at different sport which is new. I think Badminton wont be removed as they found this game. Unless India produce facilities for swimmers in india, we csnt expect more medals. No medals in swimming. Incredible. We won 66 medals last time with 13 medals in shooting but this time even without shooting we won 61 medals. Fencing got a gold medal. Would you believe it.

Badminton gave 6 medals including 3 golds. Proved that India is Top badminton country than Malaysia even with weak WD and XD.

Airos likes this.
  16. rajat_remar

A WC medal confirmed by Chirag/Satwik.
    It's great to see that India has never returned without a medal in any WC/OG since 2011 when Jwala/Ashwini unexpectedly won bronze.

Baddie lover likes this.
  17. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Choked big time. :rolleyes:

18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    When ever they squat to play a drive as if they were playing an overhead shot, it annoys the f out of me.

19. Baddyforall

Thanks to Sindhu

20. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Any news about upcoming junior players who can carry the baton of KS,BSP,HSP ? Only LS is young. KG hasn’t shown any indication till now.