Will double pulling affect durability of the string?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Antxn, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Antxn

Antxn Regular Member

Hi BC,

Recently i notice that my strings have been bursting within 8 to 5 sessions of play. Location of breakage is sweetspot, cross string.

I strung a N80 with BG65 TI 24lbs 3 weeks ago. The racket was used for only 3 session and it snapped halfway while playing. There was a bit of fraying but not significant enough to snap...

I checked the grommet and it doesn't seem to be the culprit.

My current setup
    - Crank Machine
    - 1lbs higher on first 4 main strings
    - Double pulling on first 8 main strings and all cross strings

As of now, i can only think of one possiblity
    - Tensioner

Any help or feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#1 Antxn, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  2. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

By double pulling do you mean pulling the string twice before clamping it? And you didn't do this before your strings started snapping quicker? This was always your setup?

IMO it's always hard to tell why strings snap quickly in the middle. BG665Ti at 24 lbs should last a "lifetime".
    I can only assume you stretch the sting more by double pulling, making it a bit tighter. But how much more would that be? I don't know. It could make it snap a bit quicker, but I can't imagine it would suddenly break within 5-8 sessions (assuming it lasted a lot longer before).

Perhaps you damaged the string somewhere during stringing. Or are you maybe playing more aggressively lately? Maybe more hard slice shots from the backcourt?

3. Antxn

Antxn Regular Member

Ya pulling the string twice. I notice that the durability of the strings regards of which model seems to drop after i started using this set up.

That's why i was wondering is it the double pulling causing the durability to drop.

At the same time, i also suspected that my tensioner gripper might be too tight.

I just adjusted it, going to try stringing again tomorrow.

4. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    Check your clamps to see if there is any sharp edges. On my very first machine I had clamps that had a sliver sticking out and it would cut the string a tiny bit.

5. Antxn

Antxn Regular Member

Just cleaned my machine yesterday, so far so good.

xZhongCheng likes this.