Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton at Commonwealth Games 2022: Full Schedule & Match Timings (All Times in IST)
    Friday, July 29
    Commonwealth Games 2022: Badminton full schedule, squads & live streaming details (sportskeeda.com)

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 1 - England v Barbados, Singapore v Mauritius, South Africa v Jamaica, Malaysia v Zambia - 1.30 pm to 5 pm

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 1 - Scotland v Maldives, India v Pakistan, Canada v Uganda, Australia v Sri Lanka - 6.30 pm to 10 pm

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 2 - Malaysia v Jamaica, England v Mauritius, Singapore v Barbados, South Africa v Zambia - 11.30 pm to 3 am

Saturday, July 30

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 2 - Australia v Pakistan, Canada v Maldives, India v Sri Lanka, Scotland v Uganda - 1.30 pm to 5 pm

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 3 - England v Singapore, Malaysia v South Africa, Jamaica v Zambia, Mauritius v Barbados - 6.30 pm to 10 pm

Mixed Team Event Qualifying Round 3 - Canada v Scotland, India v Australia, Sri Lanka v Pakistan, Maldives v Uganda - 11.30 pm to 3 am

Sunday, July 31

Mixed Team Event Quarter-Final - 3.30 pm to 7 pm

Mixed Team Event Quarter-Final - 10 pm to 1.30 am

Monday, August 1

Mixed Team Event Semi-Final - 3.30 pm to 7 pm

Mixed Team Event Semi-Final - 10 pm to 1.30 am

Tuesday, August 2

Mixed Team Event Bronze Medal Match - 3.30 pm to 7 pm

Mixed Team Event Gold Medal Match & Mixed Team Event Medal Ceremony - 10 pm to 2 am

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Led by Loh Kean Yew, Singapore's badminton team on medal hunt
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew training at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham for the Commonwealth Games, on July 26, 2022. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JUL 28, 2022, 12:01 PM SGT

BIRMINGHAM - After returning from the Gold Coast four years ago with no medals for the first time this century, Singapore's badminton players are back at the Commonwealth Games determined to bring home some silverware.

In 2018, they were a team in transition. Danny Bawa Chrisnanta was 29, the only shuttler over 25, and the lack of experience showed. The Republic lost the mixed team bronze medal playoff to England while there were quarter-final exits in the men's singles, doubles and mixed doubles.

Four years later, the 10-member squad, half of whom are over 25, boasts higher pedigree. Loh Kean Yew is ninth in the world and the reigning world champion, Yeo Jia Min is world No. 19 while the men's and mixed doubles pairings are inside the top-50.

Loh, 25, said: "The hunger is always there. Winning medals for Singapore at any major Games has always been our goal and we hope to achieve that here."

Their campaign at Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre starts on Friday (July 29) with the mixed team event. Singapore face Group 2 opponents Mauritius and Barbados, before taking on hosts England on Saturday.

Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) technical director Martin Andrew on Tuesday backed his players to secure a medal, possibly one with a hue brighter than bronze.

He said: "We have the players to go further than that, but bearing in mind that we are seeded fifth, if we come away with a medal, that would be good.

"We expect two wins against Mauritius and Barbados. We have the players to push fourth seeds England very, very closely. They are strong in the doubles, whereas we are stronger in the singles.

"If we win the group, we will likely avoid the other top-four seeds India, Malaysia and Canada in the quarter-finals, which is an advantage to reaching the semi-finals."

The individual events then start from next Wednesday, with Loh the highest-ranked men's player. Indians Lakshya Sen and Kidambi Srikanth are directly below him at world No. 10 and 11 respectively. Loh holds a 2-3 career record against Sen and is tied 1-1 with Srikanth.

Loh, who lost to eventual gold medallist Lee Chong Wei in the quarter-finals in 2018, said: "There's a lot more expectations from not just other people, but also from myself as I would like to do well too. The pressure will always be there, I just need to learn how to adapt and manage it."

Compatriot Yeo's path in the women's singles is more tricky. India's world No. 7 P. V. Sindhu is the clear favourite, while medal contenders include Canada's 2014 champion Michelle Li (13th) and Scotland's 18th-ranked Kirsty Gilmour.

But Yeo, 23, felt that after recovering from a calf injury, she is rediscovering the levels that helped her reach the prestigious BWF World Tour Finals last year.

She said: "I was competing every other week and I felt I was not really at my best, and it lasted for a while. Now I'm improving again... I'm getting my condition back and I'm ready for the Games."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: Well-rested after smooth arrival in UK, S'pore athletes raring to go
    Commonwealth Games: A speedy Teong Tzen Wei chases a degree in time

The squad spent a week in Copenhagen where they trained with Denmark's top players such as Viktor Axelsen, Line Christophersen, Kim Astrup and Anders Skaarup Rasmussen.

SBA's Andrew felt they benefited from the high-quality environment where the drills were shorter and sharper even though the two-hour duration is same as the sessions back home.

While he acknowledged a podium finish would be tough for his doubles pairings due to the strength of India, Malaysia, England, Scotland and Canada, he challenge the entire squad to spring a surprise.

He added: "I'm confident if our players can perform round after round, they can do some damage."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Lawn bowler Amira Goh on verge of fulfilling dream of competing at Commonwealth Games
    Commonwealth Games: In the day, he heals patients; at night, he breaks rivals

lodoss likes this.
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore showcase badminton squad depth in early mixed team rounds
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttlers Jessica Tan and Andy Kwek competing in Birmingham, on July 29, 2022. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JUL 29, 2022, 7:24 PM SGT

BIRMINGHAM - Singapore demonstrated their considerable strength in depth as they prepare for a deep run into the Commonwealth Games badminton mixed team event.

As they eased past Mauritius and Barbados 5-0 at the National Exhibition Centre Hall 5 on Friday (July 29) morning, they were able to try out new doubles partnerships, blood younger single players and also allow key players to rest for their next Group B match against Barbados in the afternoon.

In the opening mixed doubles match, Jessica Tan was not paired with her regular partner and husband Terry Hee. Instead she teamed up with Andy Kwek for the first time to beat Tejraj Pultoo and Kobita Dookhee 21-8, 21-11.

Amid a light-hearted atmosphere where the Singapore shuttlers cheered loudly for their teammates, Kwek joked that he has more chemistry with Tan than Hee does.

Tan added: "It's encouraging that our team have a pretty strong line-up regardless of who we field."

In the women's singles, world No. 19 Yeo Jia Min cruised to a 21-2, 21-2 win over 381st-ranked Jemimah Leung. Despite the clear mismatch, the Singaporean appreciated the opportunity to test out the conditions.

She said: "Whether the opponent is strong or not, we want to maintain our focus. I just maintained the quality of my strokes because I treat this as preparation for the next match."

World champion Loh Kean Yew then beat 107th-ranked Georges Paul 21-10, 21-12 in the men's singles, going up a gear after being held 9-9 by his fellow Olympian in the first game.

The World No. 9 said: "The shuttle moved quite a bit slower than the court-testing session, so I needed some time to get used to it at the start. My opponent's attack is also quite good, so I'm happy to complete my first match with a win."

Crystal Wong and Jin Yujia similarly cruised past Loma Bodha and Dookhee 21-8, 21-6 in the women's doubles before Loh Kean Hean and Hee beat Alexandre Bongout and Pultoo 21-9, 21-10 in the men's doubles to cap the rout.

In the later match against Barbados, Hee and Tan reunited to beat Shae Martin and Tamisha Williams 21-5, 21-10.

Jason Teh then got his first taste of Commonwealth Games action when he beat Kennie King 21-9, 21-7 in the men's singles, and Insyirah Khan followed suit in the women's singles with a 11-1, 11-4 win over Sabrina Scott.

It was another new men's doubles pairing of Kean Hean and Kwek but they still managed to put King and Martin away by a score of 21-6, 21-10, before Wong and Jin cruised to a 21-5, 21-9 victory over Scott and Williams.

Singapore won a silver in the mixed team event at Manchester 2002 and a bronze at Glasgow 2014.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore's badminton team on medal hunt
    Commonwealth Games: Well-rested after smooth arrival in UK, S'pore athletes raring to go

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore beat hosts England to top mixed team group in badminton
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttlers Jessica Tan and Terry Hee compete against England's Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    11 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - Up against hosts England amid the roars of a partisan crowd of around 2,000 on Saturday (July 30), Singapore needed a big win in their Group G match to land a better shot at a mixed team badminton medal at the Commonwealth Games.

And the Singaporean shuttlers did just that, notching a hard-earned 4-1 victory to top the group and avoid big guns like India and Malaysia in the quarter-finals on Sunday.

Instead, they will face Group C runners-up Scotland.

Ahead of their final group encounter, England appeared to have the upper hand in the three doubles fixtures, while Singapore - with world champion Loh Kean Yew in the squad - were stronger in the two singles.

But in front of home fans armed with shrill whistles inside National Exhibition Centre's Hall 5, husband-and-wife duo Terry Hee and Jessica Tan turned the tie on its head by stunning England's own golden couple Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith 21-9, 21-15 in the mixed doubles opener.

The world No. 36 Singaporeans were not overawed by the occasion nor the difference in rankings as they played aggressively against their 11th-ranked opponents from the start to put the English pair on the back foot throughout.

Hee, who soldiered on despite rolling his ankle in the second game, said: "Surely, we all want to start well and take down the first match, but perhaps the opponents were under more pressure to perform in front of their home crowd."

Tan added: "From the first point, we were very focused as we had prepared for a tough match against this higher-ranked pair whom we have not beaten before, and we are pleased with how we played."

Loh took inspiration from his teammates' blistering start and breezed past 55th-ranked Toby Penty 21-12, 21-12 in the ensuing men's singles tie.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Loh Kean Yew competing against England's Toby Penty in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    Described by Penty as a "bouncing ball", the world No. 9 said: "Terry and Jessica's win earlier definitely gave me confidence and helped to release some tension ahead of my match.

"Toby and I are good friends off the court and know each other very well. He is a tall leftie, has a very good defence and it wasn't easy to kill him off in rallies."

World No. 19 Yeo Jia Min then gave Singapore an unassailable overall lead that confirmed their group winners status after she beat 150th-ranked Freya Redfearn 21-4, 21-8.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Yeo Jia Min competing against England's Freya Redfearn in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    She said: "Hopefully, this good win helps us build momentum going into the knockout rounds. Avoiding the stronger teams is helpful perhaps in terms of conserving some energy, but we will have to meet them eventually and I have confidence in our team.

"Our team spirit is high, and our cheers for one another are getting louder by the day. I could even hear them from the warm-up hall, and we are highly motivated to do well."

World No. 19 Ben Lane and Sean Vendy restored some pride when they beat Loh Kean Hean and Hee 19-21, 21-12, 21-18 in the men's doubles, before 82nd-ranked women's doubles pair Jin Yujia and Crystal Wong upset world No. 14 Chloe Birch and Smith 21-19, 21-17.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: Tricky challenge ahead for S'pore paddlers in women's team s-final
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore's Teong Tzen Wei qualifies second-fastest for men's 50m fly final

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore beat hosts England to top mixed team group in badminton
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttlers Jessica Tan and Terry Hee compete against England's Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    11 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - Up against hosts England amid the roars of a partisan crowd of around 2,000 on Saturday (July 30), Singapore needed a big win in their Group G match to land a better shot at a mixed team badminton medal at the Commonwealth Games.

And the Singaporean shuttlers did just that, notching a hard-earned 4-1 victory to top the group and avoid big guns like India and Malaysia in the quarter-finals on Sunday.

Instead, they will face Group C runners-up Scotland.

Ahead of their final group encounter, England appeared to have the upper hand in the three doubles fixtures, while Singapore - with world champion Loh Kean Yew in the squad - were stronger in the two singles.

But in front of home fans armed with shrill whistles inside National Exhibition Centre's Hall 5, husband-and-wife duo Terry Hee and Jessica Tan turned the tie on its head by stunning England's own golden couple Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith 21-9, 21-15 in the mixed doubles opener.

The world No. 36 Singaporeans were not overawed by the occasion nor the difference in rankings as they played aggressively against their 11th-ranked opponents from the start to put the English pair on the back foot throughout.

Hee, who soldiered on despite rolling his ankle in the second game, said: "Surely, we all want to start well and take down the first match, but perhaps the opponents were under more pressure to perform in front of their home crowd."

Tan added: "From the first point, we were very focused as we had prepared for a tough match against this higher-ranked pair whom we have not beaten before, and we are pleased with how we played."

Loh took inspiration from his teammates' blistering start and breezed past 55th-ranked Toby Penty 21-12, 21-12 in the ensuing men's singles tie.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Loh Kean Yew competing against England's Toby Penty in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    Described by Penty as a "bouncing ball", the world No. 9 said: "Terry and Jessica's win earlier definitely gave me confidence and helped to release some tension ahead of my match.

"Toby and I are good friends off the court and know each other very well. He is a tall leftie, has a very good defence and it wasn't easy to kill him off in rallies."

World No. 19 Yeo Jia Min then gave Singapore an unassailable overall lead that confirmed their group winners status after she beat 150th-ranked Freya Redfearn 21-4, 21-8.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Yeo Jia Min competing against England's Freya Redfearn in the mixed team badminton group stage. PHOTO: CMG
    She said: "Hopefully, this good win helps us build momentum going into the knockout rounds. Avoiding the stronger teams is helpful perhaps in terms of conserving some energy, but we will have to meet them eventually and I have confidence in our team.

"Our team spirit is high, and our cheers for one another are getting louder by the day. I could even hear them from the warm-up hall, and we are highly motivated to do well."

World No. 19 Ben Lane and Sean Vendy restored some pride when they beat Loh Kean Hean and Hee 19-21, 21-12, 21-18 in the men's doubles, before 82nd-ranked women's doubles pair Jin Yujia and Crystal Wong upset world No. 14 Chloe Birch and Smith 21-19, 21-17.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: Tricky challenge ahead for S'pore paddlers in women's team s-final
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore's Teong Tzen Wei qualifies second-fastest for men's 50m fly final

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Singapore beat Scotland 3-0 to make badminton mixed team final four
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Terry Hee and Jessica Tan competing against Scotland, on July 31, 2022. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    3 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - It was the first time they experienced having their teammates courtside at Hall 5 of the National Exhibition Centre. And while their opponents came armed with air horns and drums, Singapore had to improvise with inflatable clappers.

On the court, the Republic also managed to think of their feet to beat Scotland 3-0 in their Commonwealth Games badminton mixed team quarter-final on Sunday (July 31).

They will meet top seeds and defending champions India in the semi-finals on Monday, while the other last-four tie will feature Malaysia and England.

World No. 36 mixed doubles pair Terry Hee and Jessica Tan got Singapore off to a fine start when they beat 43rd-ranked Adam Hall and Julie MacPherson 21-18, 21-17.

Tan said: "This is the first time we experienced such a setting at a major Games. It feels really good and we can also hear the advice from our teammates because they are so close."

Hee added: "They helped us take note of our opponents' habits because sometimes when we are too focused in the match, we may miss out on some details. They were like extra coaches, which helped a lot."

World champion Loh Kean Yew then overpowered 497th-ranked Callum Smith with a 21-8, 21-5 win in the men's singles.

The world No. 9 said: "Playing India will be much harder than any opponents we faced so far. We have to be mentally ready and stay focused."

[​IMG]
    Later on, world No. 19 Yeo Jia Min kept her nerve to produce a decisive display to beat Kirsty Gilmour 21-15, 12-21, 21-11 for her first victory over the 18th-ranked Scot.

She said: "I was a bit rushed and inconsistent for the second game, so I made many errors.

"I then tried to refocus and take things slower in the decider, which worked. This is my first win over Kirsty in three matches, so it is definitely a boost for me going forward.

"India are top seeds, so the draw was not too kind for us. But I believe our team have a decent chance to win in each match-up, and we will give our all to try and create an upset."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore showcase badminton squad depth in early mixed team rounds

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Singapore beat Scotland 3-0 to make badminton mixed team final four
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Terry Hee and Jessica Tan competing against Scotland, on July 31, 2022. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    3 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - It was the first time they experienced having their teammates courtside at Hall 5 of the National Exhibition Centre. And while their opponents came armed with air horns and drums, Singapore had to improvise with inflatable clappers.

On the court, the Republic also managed to think of their feet to beat Scotland 3-0 in their Commonwealth Games badminton mixed team quarter-final on Sunday (July 31).

They will meet top seeds and defending champions India in the semi-finals on Monday, while the other last-four tie will feature Malaysia and England.

World No. 36 mixed doubles pair Terry Hee and Jessica Tan got Singapore off to a fine start when they beat 43rd-ranked Adam Hall and Julie MacPherson 21-18, 21-17.

Tan said: "This is the first time we experienced such a setting at a major Games. It feels really good and we can also hear the advice from our teammates because they are so close."

Hee added: "They helped us take note of our opponents' habits because sometimes when we are too focused in the match, we may miss out on some details. They were like extra coaches, which helped a lot."

World champion Loh Kean Yew then overpowered 497th-ranked Callum Smith with a 21-8, 21-5 win in the men's singles.

The world No. 9 said: "Playing India will be much harder than any opponents we faced so far. We have to be mentally ready and stay focused."

[​IMG]
    Later on, world No. 19 Yeo Jia Min kept her nerve to produce a decisive display to beat Kirsty Gilmour 21-15, 12-21, 21-11 for her first victory over the 18th-ranked Scot.

She said: "I was a bit rushed and inconsistent for the second game, so I made many errors.

"I then tried to refocus and take things slower in the decider, which worked. This is my first win over Kirsty in three matches, so it is definitely a boost for me going forward.

"India are top seeds, so the draw was not too kind for us. But I believe our team have a decent chance to win in each match-up, and we will give our all to try and create an upset."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

lodoss likes this.
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore takes bronze in badminton mixed team event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games
    This is Singapore's fourth medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew in action at the Commonwealth Games on Aug 2, 2022. (Photo: Commonwealth Games Singapore/Andy Chua)

02 Aug 2022 09:22PM(Updated: 02 Aug 2022 09:27PM)

SINGAPORE: Singapore took home the bronze medal in the badminton mixed team event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games after beating England 3-0 on Tuesday (Aug 2).

Terry Hee Yong Kai and Jessica Tan Wei Han went up against England's Lauren Smith and Ben Lane in the mixed doubles, with the Singaporean pair winning the first match 21-17, 25-23.

In the second match, the men's singles, Singapore's Loh Kean Yew faced Toby Penty, with the Englishman taking the first set 25-23.

Loh won the second set 21-11 to equal the score, before narrowly beating Penty 25-23 in the third set.

With Singapore in a 2-0 lead, Singapore's Yeo Jia Min defeated Freya Redfearn 21-18, 21-14 to secure Singapore's bronze medal.

This is Singapore's fourth medal at the games, with the previous medals coming in table tennis and swimming.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Singapore clinch bronze in badminton mixed team event
    1 of 2
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew celebrating during the badminton mixed team bronze medal match at the Commonwealth Games on Aug 2, 2022. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
    [​IMG]

Kimberly Kwek

PUBLISHED
    11 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - Singapore's shuttlers claimed a bronze medal in the badminton mixed team event at the Commonwealth Games on Tuesday (Aug 2), after beating England 3-0 in the third place play-off.

This was the Republic's second victory over the hosts in this year's competition - they won 4-1 in the group stage - and also avenged their loss to England at the 2018 Gold Coast Games where they finished fourth.

Despite a vocal home crowd at the National Exhibition Centre, mixed doubles pair Terry Hee and Jessica Tan kept their composure to defeat Ben Lane and Lauren Smith 21-17, 25-23 and give Singapore the early lead.

The next match, a men's singles clash between world champion Loh Kean Yew and 54th-ranked Toby Penty, was equally tight despite the difference in world ranking.

Loh is ninth in the world and had easily beaten Penty 21-12, 21-12 in their group stage encounter. But the Englishman was in inspired form in their rematch.

He won the first game 25-23 before Loh recovered in the second game 21-11 to draw level.

Penty then saved five match points before Loh eventually prevailed 25-23 in the decider to put Singapore 2-0 up.

Yeo Jia Min then secured the bronze as she beat Freya Redfearn 21-18, 21-14 in the women's singles.

Singapore's shuttlers returned empty handed at the 2018 Games in Australia. At the 2014 edition in Glasgow, they clinched two silvers (men's singles and doubles) and a bronze (mixed team).

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore's badminton team on medal hunt

lodoss likes this.
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    India maul Singapore 3-0 to storm into Mixed Team Badminton Championships final at Commonwealth Games 2022
    India maul Singapore 3-0 to storm into Mixed Team Badminton Championships final at Commonwealth Games 2022 (sportskeeda.com)
    [​IMG]
    Lakshya Sen beat Loh Kean Yew 21-18, 21-15 to guide India to 3-0 win over Singapore in the Mixed Team Badminton Champinships semi-finals in Birmingham on Monday. (Pic credit: BAI)
    [​IMG]Suhas Nayse

Modified 02 Aug 2022

India trounced Singapore 3-0 to enter the mixed team badminton championships final at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on Monday (August 1).

The defending champions made short work of dark horse Singapore in a one-sided semi-final at the Birmingham Arena. India will now take on Malaysia in the final on Tuesday. Last edition’s silver medallist Malaysia outclassed England 3-0 in the other semis.

Lakshya Sen emerged as the chief architect of India’s sensational 3-0 win over Singapore. World No. 10 Lakshya stunned reigning world champion Loh Kean Yew in straight games to clinch a 3-0 win.

World Championships bronze medallist Lakshya surprised world No. 9 Loh Kean Yew 21-18, 21-15 in the men’s singles.

The match was the most crucial encounter of the tie as Singapore were expecting to bounce back in the men’s singles. However, the ace Indian shuttler shattered their hopes of making a comeback with a top-class performance.

Satwik and Chirag laid the foundation with impressive win in the men's doubles
    Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty trounced Yong Kai Terry Hee and Andy Jun Liang Kwek 21-11, 21-12 to lay a solid foundation for India's win.

World No. 8 pair Satwik and Chirag needed 40 minutes to get the better of the Singapore duo. In both games, Indian Open champions Satwik and Chirag were absolutely in control of the situation. Gelling well on the court from the start, Satwik and Chirag provided India with a brilliant win and a crucial 1-0 lead.

Sindhu consolidated India's position with a quick-fire victory over Jia Min Yeo
    PV Sindhu consolidated India's position with an excellent win in the women's singles.

The world No. 7 shuttler thumped Jia Min Yeo 21-11, 21-12 to put India 2-0 ahead in a best-of-the-five-match encounter. Double Olympic medalist Sindhu had no trouble in dismissing world No. 19 Jia Min Yeo. It was the second straight win for the Indian star against the Singaporean player.

Sindhu, who was rested for the quarter-final match against South Africa on Sunday, was in full control against Jia Min Yeo. Using her height to her advantage, Sindhu outclassed her rivals in all departments.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Shuttlers clinch 3rd gold for Malaysia
    Chia Han Keong - Yesterday 10:12 am

upload_2022-8-4_7-46-25.png
    MALAYSIA clinched its third gold at the 2022 Commonwealth Games on Tuesday (2 August), when its mixed badminton team defeated India 3-1 in the final at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.

[​IMG]

Commonwealth Games: Shuttlers clinch 3rd gold for Malaysia
    In doing so, the shuttlers also reclaimed the gold the had lost to their Indian counterparts at the 2018 Games in Gold Coast.

The first tie was the men's doubles match between Malaysia's world No.6 Aaron Chia and Soh Wooi Yik and India's Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty, who are just a spot below in the world rankings.

Despite the closeness in rankings, it turned out to be a comfortable win for Chia and Soh, who claimed the first point of the final 21-18, 21-15.

India held the advantage in the second tie, however, as world No.7 Pusarla V. Sindhu was the favourite to win the women's singles tie against Goh Jin Wei, ranked world No.60. And Sindhu made the advantage count, as she defeated Goh 22-20, 21-17 to level the final at 1-1.

India again held the rankings advantage in the following men's singles tie, as world No.13 Srikanth Kidambi faced Malaysia's world No.42 Ng Tze Yong.

The time, however, it was Ng who rose to the occasion to clinch a vital 21-19, 6-21, 21-16 victory to give Malaysia a 2-1 lead.

It was left to women's doubles pair Pearly Tan and Thinaah Muralitharan to seize the winning point, and they duly did, defeating Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand Pullela 21-18, 21-17 to seal the gold medal.

Malaysia has so far won three golds, two silvers and three bronze at the Birmingham Games.

lodoss likes this.
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore's Loh Kean Yew admits struggling with form, is working on being consistent
    [​IMG]
    National shuttler Loh Kean Yew will face Mauritius' world No. 333 Alexandre Bongout on Aug 5. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    11 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - Since becoming world champion last December, Singapore's star shuttler Loh Kean Yew has realised that heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Expectations of him have become sky-high and the 25-year-old has also come under increased scrutiny. Being born in Penang has added to the intrigue as Malaysian media are also keen to track his ups and downs. On Wednesday (Aug 3), Malaysian newspaper The Star published a story headlined "(Ng) Tze Yong must grab chance as Kean Yew struggles with form".

Loh and Ng are in the same quarter of the Commonwealth Games men's singles draw, and the Malaysian No. 3 had played a key role in his country's mixed team gold medal win on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Loh lost to world No. 10 Lakshya Sen in India's 3-0 semi-final victory at the National Exhibition Centre.

And even after the world No. 9 had held his nerve to beat an inspired home favourite Toby Penty 23-25, 21-11, 25-23 in Singapore's 3-0 win over England to claim bronze, The Star called it a "huff and puff" scramble.

After overcoming South Africa's world No. 212 Robert Summers 21-16, 21-9 on Thursday to advance to the round of 16, Loh told The Straits Times that while he has not been reading the news, he is man enough to admit his struggle with form and consistency. It is just that this is nothing new.

He said: "I have been struggling all the time. It's just that not many knew who I was even at the Olympics, and after becoming world champion, more people know about me and expect me to win all the time, but it doesn't work like that.

"I'm working on my consistency and I'm still in the midst of finding it. It hasn't been easy, and it's not going to appear magically after I win the World Championship, but I'm working on it."

The 25-year-old will face Mauritius' world No. 333 Alexandre Bongout on Friday and even though possible meetings with 42nd-ranked Ng and India's world No. 13 Kidambi Srikanth loom large, the expectations are high as he is the top seed here.

Loh said: "It is something I have to manage, and I just take one match at a time.

"Major Games pressure is different from World Tour events because here we are are representing Team Singapore in a Games that come only once every four years, whereas there are World Tour tournaments every other week."

Later in the day, Singapore's world No. 35 Terry Hee and Jessica Tan, the mixed doubles third seeds here, eased past Zambia's 650th-ranked Kalombo Mulenga and Ogar Siamupangila with a 21-6, 21-4 win.

They will meet Scotland's world No. 96 Christopher Grimley and Eleanor O'Donnell in the round of 16 on Friday.

[​IMG]
    Singapore shuttlers Terry Hee and Jessica Tan competing against England at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on Aug 2, 2022. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

Tan said: "The most difficult thing about matches like today's is to maintain our speed and not follow their momentum. Every match is preparation for the next match so we still need to bring our best condition."

Hee added: "If we are not focused, we can get injured easily because the shots they execute can be quite unexpected so in a way we have to be more ready than we play against opponents of about the same level to protect ourselves."

It has also emerged that after testing positive for Covid-19 on Sunday, Loh Kean Hean did not recover in time to play in the men's doubles with Hee.

Hee said: "It's pretty disappointing but this is unexpected and out of our control. Kean Hean was already very responsible - when he felt a bit unwell, he distanced himself from the team. I wish him speedy recovery and try to look on the bright side, which is I can now concentrate on one event."

In the women's singles, Singapore's world No. 19 Yeo Jia Min also managed to keep her focus to beat Cyprus' 297th-ranked Eleni Christodoulou 21-12, 21-8.

The fourth seed will play England's Freya Redfearn in the round of 16 on Friday, having beaten the world No. 141 twice in the mixed team event.

Yeo said: "This is the first time I have played the same opponent so many times in a week, but I have to treat this as a new match and prepare well. She has some nice skills from the back court and doesn't give up easily, so I have to be ready."

13. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Yeo Jia Min wins S'pore's first badminton women's singles medal since 2002
    [​IMG]
    Yeo Jia Min won 21-14, 22-20 over Scotland's world No. 17 Kirsty Gilmour, on Aug 7, 2022. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
    [​IMG]

Kimberly Kwek

PUBLISHED
    8 HOURS AGO

BIRMINGHAM - After clinching the winning point in the women's singles third-place play-off at the Commonwealth Games on Sunday (Aug 7), the usually mellow Yeo Jia Min let out a shout as she fell to the floor at the National Exhibition Centre.

With her 21-14, 22-20 victory over Scotland's world No. 17 Kirsty Gilmour, Yeo clinched her first individual medal of the year - a bronze - and Singapore's first in the women's singles at the Commonwealth Games since 2002.

The Republic's last medal in the event was the gold that Li Li won at the Manchester Games.

World No. 18 Yeo said: "I feel like this year hasn't been easy for me. I haven't been getting to the level that I want to play and I've been missing out on opportunities and I know that this opportunity in front of me is something I can grab so I just didn't want to lose this chance again.

"Through the journey, there are little stepping stones and this is considered a good stepping stone for me, challenging the top players and now really believing that I can, so I hope I can bring it to the next competition."

At the previous edition of the Games on the Gold Coast in 2018, Yeo made it to the round of 16, where she lost 2-1 to India's Gadde Ruthvika Shivani.

Yeo, 23, wants to keep building on her feat, saying: "Definitely getting a medal for my country is something I want to achieve. It's been a fruitful week, whether I won or lost, I hope that I can go back and learn from every match and keep growing as an athlete in and out of the court."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Badminton: No need to press the panic button over Loh Kean Yew's form

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: Singapore shuttlers in mixed doubles final after stunning Malaysia
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttlers Terry Hee and Jessica Tan will now face England's Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith in the final. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]

Kimberly Kwek

PUBLISHED
    AUG 7, 2022, 5:06 PM SGT

BIRMINGHAM - Bleary-eyed and exhausted after a restless night spent tossing and turning in bed, mixed doubles pair and married couple Terry Hee and Jessica Tan were certainly not in prime condition ahead of their biggest match at the Commonwealth Games.

Standing between them and a first-ever mixed doubles gold for Singapore were their semi-final rivals, Malaysian top seeds Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing.

And it took a huddle for the pair to re-energise and psyche themselves up as they stormed to a 25-23, 21-18 victory over their higher-ranked opponents on Sunday (Aug 7) to secure a medal and book a spot in the final.

Holding back tears in the post-match interview, an emotional Tan said: “Before the match was really tough... we both couldn’t sleep at night because too many thoughts were creeping in.

“It was very hard to think about how the match would turn out.”

While world No. 35 Hee and Tan had beaten the 11th-ranked Malaysian duo in their previous two encounters, they last met six years ago and the Singaporeans knew they had to bring their A game. Over the course of 56 minutes, supporters from both teams were treated to a badminton thriller at the National Exhibition Centre.

Although Malaysia started strongly, Hee and Tan dug deep to claw back from five points down to get back into the game. They then held their nerve to win the first set 25-23.

The combination of Hee’s aggressiveness and Tan’s superb defence saw the Singaporeans take a 14-8 lead in the second game against their rivals, who looked hapless after the first game.

Despite a late charge from the Malaysians as they rescued three match points, Hee and Tan held on, sinking to the ground in celebration as they notched victory in Birmingham.

The Republic’s previous best result in the event was a bronze at the 2006 and 2010 editions of the Games.

But the duo can go even further on Monday (Aug 8), when they take on home favourites Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith in the final – victory will give Singapore its first Games gold since Li Li’s women’s singles title in Manchester in 2002.

The odds may appear to be in Hee and Tan’s favour as they beat the world No. 10 English pair in the group stage of the mixed team event, but the Singaporeans are not getting ahead of themselves.

Hee said: “It means a lot (to reach the final) because we’ve worked very hard for it and it’s a dream come true. But the job is not done yet – tomorrow we have a final match and we need to keep our focus, regroup and hope for the best. The pressure is always there for each match that we play but it all boils down to our performance on the day itself, who can manage the nerves better.”

Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew hailed the duo’s performance and insisted that it is anyone’s game. He said: “The English are very good in the first three, four shots, so we have to match them on the quality on that, which we did for the team event.

“We’re better on the attack, with Terry and his speed so we’re good on that. We’re probably a bit better on the defence as well because (Tan) holds her own there, but we have to make sure we control all areas of the court.”

Teammates Yeo Jia Min and Jason Teh also fought valiant battles in their respective women’s and men’s singles semi-finals but instead had to contest for a bronze after losing yesterday.

Yeo was beaten 21-19, 21-17 by India’s world No. 7 P.V. Sindhu and played Scotland’s defending bronze medallist Kirsty Gilmour.

She said: “There’s definitely still a gap between me and the top players... But I’m trying to reflect on every match and I prepared much better for this match so hopefully I can keep up the momentum and do even better the next time.”

World No. 87 Teh, who fell 21-10, 18-21, 21-16 to India’s second seed and 10th-ranked Lakshya Sen, was due to face Sen’s teammate Srikanth Kidambi in the third-place play-off. He said: “I just want to leave everything on the court in my last match at the Games.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Loh Kean Yew shocked by Malaysia's Ng Tze Yong in Commonwealth Games

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Who is Yeo Jia Min dating?
    By
    James Barrow
    -
    August 8, 2022
    [​IMG]

Who is Yeo Jia Min dating?

Yeo Jia Min, a Malaysian badminton player born in Singapore and once ranked world number one, will not compete in the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

In a tough match on August 7, veteran Indian commuter PV Sindhu defeated Yeo by a score of 21-19 in the opener. In the second match, Sindhu won by a score of 21-17.

Yeo Jia Min played badminton for Singapore and was the best junior player in the world. She is also the first Singaporean to make it into the BWF Junior or Senior Rankings.

In 2022, who is Yeo Jia Min dating?
    Yeo Jia Min, a 23-year-old rising badminton player from Singapore, is believed to be dating Pang Sheng Jun. Pang, her boyfriend, was a swimmer for the Singapore national team.

Even though neither of them has said anything about their relationship in public, they share photos of each other on Instagram all the time.

Yeo posted a photo of them on Valentine’s Day this year. In it, he holds a gift from Pang and hugs her from behind. She wrote in the caption, “Happy Valentine’s Day, b. Thank you for taking the time to do these things when you really don’t need them.

On February 1, Jia’s birthday, Pang posted a photo of them hugging and kissing while vacationing in Singapore with a long caption.

Pang Sheng Jun swam for the Singapore national team and now calls himself a badminton analyst. As Pang suffered from asthma, his doctor told him to start swimming when he was four years old. At age six, he started swimming to earn money.

The 29-year-old won gold in the men’s 4 x 200m freestyle and set a new record at the 2015 Southeast Asian Games. He also won his first individual medals at the SEA Games, a silver in the 400m individual medley and a bronze in the 400m freestyle.

Where is Yeo Jia Min from? Her parents and racial background
    Yeo Jia Mi, who is 23, was born in Singapore to Chinese Malaysian parents who had moved there from Malaysia and are now citizens. She and her father both became citizens of Singapore when she was a child.

Yeo started playing badminton when he was seven years old. She had played there with her parents when she was younger. Yeo, who was just nine years old, won first place in the under-11 age group at the 2008 Cheers Age Group badminton championships. Then, in 2009, she played for Singapore at Li-Ning Youth International, where she won the Under-11 singles title at the age of 10.

But she didn’t tell anyone who her parents are. Also, unlike her boyfriend Pang, she hasn’t posted photos of her parents on Instagram. Yeo also posted a photo of herself with her parents in August 2020.

Pang, meanwhile, is the eldest of Agnes Ng and Pang Boon Teng. Her two sisters swam competitively until they were 16, when they decided to focus on school.

How much will Yeo Jia Min earn in 2022
    All Famous Birthday says fortune athlete Yeo Min is worth around $1.5 million in mid-2022.

Similarly, she earns between $80,000 and $85,000 a year. She makes most of her money from tournaments and badminton. She also has deals with a lot of different products and brands.

On the other hand, her boyfriend Pang Sheng Jun has almost the same amount of money as Yeo. His total fortune is around one million dollars.

The post Who is Yeo Jia Min dating? appeared first on theancestory.com.

[​IMG]
    James Barrow

James Barrow is an experienced lifestyle reporter currently contributing as a lifestyle correspondent at The Nuherald. He wirtes extensively regarding lifestyle and wellness topics and holds a degree in International Journalism. James Barrow covers a wide range of lifestyle topics with a keen interest in all things to do with the lifestyle industry.

Note: I think it is inaccurate to describe Jia Min as a "Malaysian badminton player" in the writer's beginning sentence.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth Games: S'pore clinch historic badminton mixed doubles gold after beating England in final

[​IMG]
    Kimberly Kwek

PUBLISHED
    AUG 8, 2022, 3:52 PM SGT

BIRMINGHAM - Singapore mixed doubles pair Terry Hee and Jessica Tan clinched a historic gold medal at the Commonwealth Games on Monday (Aug 8), after they beat home favourites Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith 21-16, 21-15 in the final.

Having beaten the English world No. 10s in the badminton mixed team event, the odds of Singapore's world No. 35 pair, who are married to each other, winning were high, but they refused to get ahead of themselves.

The partisan crowd that had arrived at the National Exhibition Centre with England flags cheered the home pair each time they got a point.

And as the 5,000-seater stands began to fill, the support for the home team grew louder.

But there were also supporters for the Singaporeans. Among them were Hee and Tan's teammates as well as a Malaysian fan, who backed the duo with chants of 'Let's go, Singapore, let's go!'

Hee and Tan held their nerve to take the first game 21-16 despite making several mistakes along the way.

But the second game was a lot closer, with the Singaporeans having to claw their way back after trailing at the start.

The English and Singapore pairs exchanged the lead several times, but with the scores level at 11-11, the visitors began to pull away and were able to seal the win.

Hee said: "We cannot believe that we are the Commonwealth Games gold medallists right now, we're still in disbelief.

"It looks comfortable from the score, but I can tell you it was really hard. We really had to focus towards the end, nerves were creeping in. My wife was fighting alongside me, reminding me to stay calm and focused, telling me, 'It's not over yet, let's not think about winning'.

"(So) we focused point by point, and we are really happy with the result."

Tan added: "It feels extraordinary to stand on the podium and sing the national anthem because it's the first time we've managed to win a medal in an individual event at major Games, especially with many Singaporeans supporting us. It means a lot to us."

[​IMG]
    Singapore mixed doubles pair Terry Hee and Jessica Tan beat England's Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith 21-16, 21-15. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
    [​IMG]
    Singapore mixed doubles pair Jessica Tan and Terry Hee clinched a historic gold medal at the Commonwealth Games on Aug 8, 2022. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
    This is Singapore's first Games gold since Li Li's women's singles title in Manchester in 2002.

In the mixed doubles specifically, the Republic's previous best result in the event was a bronze at the 2006 and 2010 editions of the Games.

Hee and Tan's gold is the nation's third badminton medal at this year's Commonwealth Games. Singapore had clinched a bronze in the mixed team event last week, before Yeo Jia Min added another bronze when she beat Scotland's Kirsty Gilmour in the women's singles third-place play-off on Sunday.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Commonwealth Games: Feng Tianwei bags 3rd gold in table tennis women's doubles
    C'wealth Games: S'pore 'overperformed' as badminton, table tennis, swimming get kudos

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Terry Hee and Jessica Tan win Singapore’s first Commonwealth Games badminton mixed doubles gold
    Terry Hee and Jessica Tan win Singapore’s first Commonwealth Games badminton mixed doubles gold (todayonline.com)
    [​IMG]Andy Chua/Commonwealth Games Singapore
    Jessica Tan and Terry Hee celebrate after winning the mixed doubles final at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham on Aug 8, 2022.

Published August 8, 2022
    Updated August 8, 2022

SINGAPORE — Terry Hee and Jessica Tan won Singapore’s first Commonwealth Games badminton mixed doubles gold in Birmingham on Monday (Aug 8).

The gold is Singapore’s first in the sport at the Games since 2002 and only its second overall.

The husband-and-wife pair beat England’s Marcus Ellis and Lauren Smith 21-16, 21-15 in the final at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.

Hee and Tan, ranked 35th in the world, reached the final on the back of an upset win against Malaysia’s top-seeded pairing of Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing on Sunday.

Their clash with the world number 10 Ellis and Smith marked Singapore's first appearance in a badminton mixed doubles final at the Commonwealth Games.

After taking the first game, Hee and Tan found themselves 11-12 down in the second before they went on a run of nine consecutive points. This took them to gold medal point.

Hee and Tan faltered momentarily as the English duo picked up three consecutive points of their own, but the lead proved to be too much to reel in.

Hee finished off the tie with a smash to ensure that he and Tan joined 2002 women’s singles gold medallist Li Li on the list of Singaporean Commonwealth Games badminton champions. CNA

lodoss likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What sort of nonsense article is this? Why is the ethnic background so important that it needs to be specifically addressed ? The player represents Singapore. The ethnicity of the player is irrelevant. This is subtle reinforcement of ethnic boundaries.

This James Barrow might be an experienced writer but seems he’s experienced at writing a load of codswallop.

BTW, congratulations for the married couple on their gold medal!