India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This baddy guy loves to hit on fellow forumers. I hope he blocks me Lol

He shd have comment on the subject to prove otherwise like BAI, or anyone he is a fan of. It sure tells all about his character. Not crutisizing forumers. Let forumers read and be the judge. Lol ;)

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth makes so many unforced errors

3. Baddyforall

4. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Which channel/app?

5. Baddyforall

Sonyliv

6. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Disappointed by Jolly/Gayatri performance yesterday losing to Australian scratch pair. Maybe they need some time to settle on court. But they certainly have not capitalised on their all england performance.

7. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Was looking at the history of Commonwealth Games. India's performance, that is.
    In 1974 and 1978 India won a gold medal through Prakash Padukone and Syed Modi respectively. These were the only medals that India won, but the important thing was that they were gold.
    1998 was a good year for India. India won 4 medals, but no gold. Aparna Popat won silver. Gopichand won bronze. It was also an unusual year in that instead of the usual mixed team event, they had the men's team and women's team events - meanining there were 7 events instead of 6. India's Men's team won silver, Women's team won bronze.
    The next 2 CWG games weren't that impressive, but starting from 2010 India really started to shine.
    In 2010 India won 4 medals - with 2 golds. The golds came from Saina and Ashiwini/Jwala.
    In 2014 Indian won 4 medals - with 1 gold. The gold came from Kashyap who repeated this feat in MS after P Padukone and S Modi.
    In 2018 India was the top badminton team with 6 medals -including 2 golds. Golds came from Saina and Mixed Team.
    Traditionally it has always been England or Malaysia who have been the best performers at CWG in badminton; but in 2018 - for the first time - India was the best performer. I hope we can repeat that feat once again this time.

Speaking of Saina - I thought it was unfair to drop Saina like that. Nothing against Akarshi Kashyap, but her ranking is still over 50 while Saina is not only still a top 25 player, but looked like she was getting her touch back in Singapore open. Not to mention - she is the defending champion in CWG. She has 2 WS golds + 1 team gold in CWG. I think she deserves a bit more respect than being dropped for simply not showing up for a sudden selection test. Fortunately, thanks to Asian Games being postponed, she might get another chance there.

Anyway, I am hoping for another mixed team gold today. Our weakest event is probably the WD with Trisha Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand. Only they have lost so far. If we can win at least 1 of 3 doubles, then I think we have very good chance.

#4847 Airos, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    rajat_remar, Baddie lover and Cheung like this.
  8. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

People also forget that Saina winning gold in 2010 CWG made India surpass England in medals tally which was a huge huge feat. Before that, England was leading by 1 gold. After Saina won, golds became equal but due to India winning more silvers, they bagged the second position. After the final, Kashyap said “fortunately Saina didn’t know how her win would have made India leapfrog England. Had she known it before the final, she would have come under immense pressure”.

CWG might not be a big event for other countries in badminton. But for Indian players, it’s a matter of pride especially MS. Kashyap reaction after winning CWG 2014 says everything as he finally achieved what Syed Modi and Prakash Padukone achieved. Not even his mentor could be win the gold. So that gold was huge for him.

Also, I think Lakshya focusing on CWG was due to a legacy thing that his mentor Prakash won gold. So yeah, for Indians CWG is still a prestigious event.

Airos and rajat_remar like this.
  9. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Saina was also a match point down in that match against Wong Mew Choo. As far as I remember it was in 2006 CWG that Saina started to show promise as a great player when she was selected ahead of Aparna Popat to play in team events.
    I think CWG also gets a lot of media exposure in India, so it is a good event to gain national recognition.

Airos and Baddie lover like this.
  10. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

he is just another brainwashed indian BAI fanatic with half a brain cell

11. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It is a pity we don't have a world class MD pair.

12. Baddie lover

It’s been a long time they haven’t played to their potential. I could only reminisce their 2018-19 days. There is sth wrong. There should have been upward trajectory, man. Seems Satwik still not found his old mojo back.

Anyway, Sindhu and Srikanth have to get points and then hope for Satwik Ashwini to spring a surprise.

13. Baddie lover

I’m quite interested to know about the reasoning behind the master stroke of not letting Sen play today.

Any reason apart from injury is totally bogus to me. Any reason. If anyone finds out the reason, please share it here.

14. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Price you pay for being cocky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Different academies where they play perhaps?

16. Baddie lover

I was really trying to not think about that reason coz it would seriously f**k my mind. Sigh, man.

17. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Damn! We lost!
    Srikanth's loss was the turning point I think. He looked nervous. Made too many errors. His opponent also played well.
    Had he won that match we still had some chance with Ashwini and Satwik .

Baddie lover likes this.
  18. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I think all countries that take part in CWG take it seriously. Sure, the competition in badminton may not be as as high as, say, in Asian Games, but national pride is still at stake. LZJ got a lot of criticism in Malaysia for not coming. Even Lee Chong Wei criticized his decision. LCW himself has 2 CWG MS gold meds.

19. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I don't see any evil plan here. I think they were just playing in rotation. Srikanth being the senior player got the honour of playing in the finals.

20. Baddie lover

I see no point why they should rotate players that too in final. I would have loved to see Chen Jin playing in place of Lin Dan in Thomas Cup or Sudirman Cup final or let’s say Nishimoto in place of Momota. If MS1 is fit, it’s always him who is given chance to play. Whatever the management did, it was a blunder. And we have become too vulnerable to making blunders time to time, man.

Cheung likes this.