Chen Yufei (陳雨菲)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

Chen Yufei’s posting on weibo after successfully defending her title by winning China National Games WS .

:

Something to say

After finishing my first World Championship in 2017, I went to Tianjin to participate in my first National Games. I remember very clearly that my waist was strained on the first day, and from the first day I played to the final with the idea of abstaining and won the championship by accident.

After finishing my first Olympic Games in 2021, I came to Xi’an to participate in my second National Games, and I accidentally injured myself at the beginning of the game. Many people told me that you took a break at the National Games, but I still went to the final with the idea that one more game is one game. As I said in the interview, injury will not be an excuse for my loss, and injury is not a reason for me to escape.

I have always wanted to say something to everyone, but I think it’s too deep hahaha. I have always been a very ordinary person, not as talented as others, and I have come to the present with persistence and determination. What I want to say is, if you are not so outstanding like me, and you want to give up when you encounter difficulties, you must believe in the power of faith. Persevere for a while, believe it once, and maybe it will be different. Come on together, friends ❤️

Avoidance may not be avoided, and facing may not be the saddest

Simeon, tbgoh288, Sumanth99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

may I know how much the athletes earn by winning the national games medal ?

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I haven't come across any published figures but my educated guess is it's significant but not that much from the state, which certainly pales in comparison with their counterparts in Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) or HKSAR. In fact, for the Chinese Olympic winners, their biggest rewards come from the private sector companies, particularly those from the athletes respective cities or provinces, and that depending on how much they appreciate you for your contributions in bringing glory to your place of birth.

I recalled Li Xuerui for her London'12 OG gold was rewarded by some private companies in Chongqing, her birthplace, with a private apartment c/w renovation costs, household appliances and furniture.

As for Chen Yufei, refer to Ukfbk's post #171, thanks to him, as below:

Get two suites and million prizes# On August 1, badminton player Chen Yufei won the gold medal in women's badminton singles at the Tokyo Olympics and became the first Olympic champion in the history of his hometown of Tonglu County. #Olympics#
    Two well-known private companies, Yunda Express and Zhongtong Express, from Tonglu, Zhejiang, announced that they would give Chen Yufei a set of real estate to congratulate her for winning honor for the country and hometown. At the same time, Zhefu Holdings decided to award Chen Yufei 1 million yuan in cash.
    Among them, the real estate donated by Yunda Express to Chen Yufei is located in Tonglu Fuchun Future City "Tongyun Home", while the real estate donated by Zhongtong Express to Chen Yufei is located in the "Zhongtong Blue City" of Fuchun Future City, covering an area of 170 square meters. According to a Baidu search, the housing price in Tonglu County is about 20,000 yuan per square meter.
    Not only that, Zhefu Holdings also decided to award Chen Yufei 1 million yuan in cash, and also specifically stated that it was the after-tax amount.

Not to mention that the bonus she just received is not including the government , national , province and so on . I believe more to come . Congrats Chen Yufei

#171 Ukfbk, Aug 6, 2021

Cheung likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Whoops, sorry, my bad. I misread your post, you're referring to the China National Games, not Olympic Games. Hahaha, I even quoted your own post #171. Mea culpa.

As for the China National Games rewards, I have no idea. Let's wait and see who can answer your query.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

That's an interesting question. I have not really followed up regarding this, until the 90's, badminton players and coaches were like any government employees. Players were allowed to retain part of their money earning through tournaments, and the government would continue to take care of them after they retire from the competitions.

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At today's Sudirman Cup quarterfinal match between CHN and DEN, Chen Yufei showed that she can suffer from nerves in G1 and to a lesser extent in the decider against Mia Blichfeldt before coming out on top, that after the Chinese scratch MD pair of He Jiting/Zhou Haodong mishandled the deciding third set despite being 19-16 up against the Danish pair Rasmussen/Sogard.

Fortunately, she was able to steady herself somewhat and keep calm just enough to get a grip on herself after dropping the opening set to turn the match around. In the decider, CYF's jangled nerves were less obvious and not too much of a problem as she was able to maintain a lead, albeit a small one most of the time; only briefly was the gap closed at 15-all, thereafter, CYF pulled away to the finishing line.

To me, the match is more a battle of nerves than anything, for under normal circumstances I'm sure CYF is more likely to best her opponent without much of a hitch at their current respective levels. I should think so.

Admittedly, though CYF is a more mature and stable player now, I have to say she is mentally not as strong as I'd like to see of her. Still I hope it is from experience such as this that would over time help her to grow from strength to strength and, hopefully, even develop nerves of steel one day. The sooner the better.

Keep it up, Chen Yufei. Way to go!

8. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

sh
    She played well and more calm in the third game despite been in disadvantage situation , when there was no challenge left after the interval .

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In today's Sudirman Cup semifinals versus Korea, Chen Yufei started tentatively against An Se Young, obviously somewhat nervous despite Team China two-nil up as evidenced in the simple errors she made which duly cost her G1, 14-21.

Luckily, to her credit, she was able to once again as in her previous two matches, with Busanan in the group stage and Mia Blichfeldt in the QFs, find her footing as she kept calm and reasserted herself to take the next two sets by the identical score of 21-15.

To me, this is a remarkable phenomenon for the 23-year-old Chen Yufei as she continues to mature and develop as a player, for once she has acquired the art of self-control in the sense of being able to steady herself and handle the pressure of the occasion thus allowing her to perform up to her normal standard, at least if not better , then, I believe , her ascent to the summit is not far off - that's what mental strength is about, one of the hallmarks of a true champion.

Great job, Chen Yufei !

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Luckily for Chen Yufei, she must've heaved a sigh of relief when her compatriots, Chen/Jia, finally sealed the winning point for China to lift the Sudirman Cup for the 12th time in 17 participation. Or else, she might be blaming herself for a long time to come and even let it affect her self-confidence in future team championships.

Credit to her opponent, Akane Yamaguchi, who fought like there's no tomorrow and her forte, her renowned retrieving ability, was very much in evidence today that enabled her to rise to the occasion.

Chen Yufei, on the other hand, looked visibly the more tense of the two and was clearly nonplussed by her opponent throwing everything back at her, sometimes with interest. What to do, just one of those days, I supposed.

Maybe, CYF could try to think of a way to break the opponent's rhythm and stop her momentum, perhaps by the use of deceptive shots to keep the opponent guessing and running all over the place to exhaustion. Certainly easier said than done, but worth a try, except that it takes time and a natural inclination to play trick shots, not something one can easily acquire if you don't have the instinct. Just wondering.

Last but not least, to be fair to CYF, she is overstretched both physically and mentally for playing almost non-stop since the Olympics, i.e. three major events in as many months; for Chinese players, the China National Games is big and it lasted more than ten days for both team and individual events.

#210 Justin L, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  11. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

With all the talks about CYF's so-called passive style, it was very interesting that the outcome of today match against AY hinged on CYF's ability to attack!

When the grinders meet, it is a war of attrition. CYF was running empty and desperately needed something to break the stalemate ASAP. However, AY was too tough of a nut to crack today.

The 1-11 head-to-head record must have scared the Chinese Team off from using HBJ in this match. But with a spent CYF, it might have been wise to try their luck with the new HBJ anyway. With two more tournaments to go before the Chinese Team returning home, let's see if we will get a HBJ vs AY match.

Justin L and Cheung like this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what I thought too, with the benefit of hindsight, of course. After all, HBJ played only one easy group match and we're talking about a much fitter HBJ now who at the Olympics bested another superb retriever and runner, Nozomi Okuhara, in style. Furthermore, in internal competitions, HBJ won two out of three encounters against CYF recently.

Anyway, the good thing that came out of it was that we were treated to an astounding joust between Shi Yuqi and Kento Momota with neither having a psychological advantage as the team score stood at 1-1 then, unlike their previous 2019 Sudirman Cup meeting where CHN was 2-0 up meaning SYQ was under much less pressure than Momota who was in a must-win situation. And, boy, was I swept away by Shi Yuqi's rousing performance of scintillating attacking badminton a la Lin Dan or Lee CW in their prime, just what SYQ needed to uplift his spirit and engender the inner belief that he can reach the apex one day.

As Sun Jun once tried to instill into him," Shi Yuqi, believe in yourself. Just do it ! " Right, it's high time SYQ starts dispelling his self-doubts and go for it. It's been more than two years already since his ankle injury at the 2019 All England tourney, don't keep us waiting any longer.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Yufei reflecting on her loss to Akane Yamaguchi on social media:
    https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2021-10-04/doc-iktzqtyt9588178.shtml

[​IMG]
    "I really wanted this win and I really tried my best. This match made me have a taste of what is meant by 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak'. It also meant there's still a big gap in my game and I am far from being strong enough. Thank you to my teammates for winning the championship in my behalf. Although I wasn't my best tonight, as long as the championship belongs to China, it is enough."

14. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Does anybody know why CYF turned down the invitation to play the WC?

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    jyeung likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

jyeung likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Yufei, I'd have thought that after her previous defeat to Tai Tzu Ying at the Thailand Open last month, also a three-setter, where she had a taste of TTY's attacking prowess in the backline who was practically smashing at every opportunity to control the rally until CYF caved in, that Luo Yigang would've wise up to it and help CYF come up with a better strategy to counter it.

Apparently it didn't work out the way he and CYF had expected in the end. Yes, at first, in G1, CYF's strategy was to keep TTY at the backline by lifting and clearing most of the shuttles as TTY wasn't attacking much and was out-rallied by the former to go down easily, 10-21.

Then, in G2, TTY, probably with her back to the wall and after discussing with her coach, decided in a do-or-die situation to go all out attacking as in their previous encounter. And it gradually began to show result as CYF more or less continued in the same vein until the turning point where despite holding two matchpoints, she failed to convert and again lost each of the following four matchpoints opportunity at deuces from 21- to 24-all, only to drop the next two to allow TTY to force the decider.

Apparently, CYF was so rattled by that close G2 miss that it must still be playing on her mind in G3 to affect her mentality such that it didn't occur to her she had to adjust her strategy to deal with TTY's all-out attacking game by being proactive, seizing the initiative more, inject pace now and then so as to limit TTY's attacking opportunities. Alas that didn't materialize as CYF was reduced to passivity and could only react to whatever TTY threw at her until her resistance broke down to lose just as tamely in G3 as what happened to TTY in G1. The match ended in painful defeat for CYF, almost a repeat of their earlier encounter at the Thai Open.

I trust the CHN coaches know what is to be done for CYF to better handle TTY's game in their future meetings. Come to think of it, I actually thought it's better for CYF to be stunned by TTY's fightback this time than to prevail with the "wrong" strategy only to be taken aback by TTY's aggressive offensive game the next time they meet which could be a much more crucial match, such as the world championships ahead.

CYF, be well prepared, stay strong, believe in yourself. Better luck next time.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, Chen Yufei did it this time after two previous losses.

At the ongoing MAS Open 2022 semifinal clash with TTY, Chen Yufei showed a better reading of TTY's game than their last two meetings. In addition, CYF's defensive ability and counterattacking skill have improved remarkably to match and more often than not get the better of TTY's attacking prowess to the extent that it reminds me of her illustrious senior male counterpart, Chen Long, who is well-known for exactly such defining characteristics, in my opinion.

Of late, TTY's somewhat flat but down-the-line smashes executed abruptly from the backline proved very effective, scoring either outright winners or allowing her to follow-up at the net to put it away , if not, then letting her continue to control the rally while maintaining the advantage - this coupled with TTY's trademark disguised drop-shots and deceptive net-play as a whole constituting her cutting edge arsenal that she often uses to put all her main rivals to their place.

Excellent, Chen Yufei ! Your stirring defeat of TTY today demonstrated a never-say-die spirit, grit determination, and resilience that I believe should bode well for your future, continuing to grow from strength to strength and scaling greater heights in your badminton career. Go for it !

19. viver

viver Regular Member

These last 2 matches in the Malaysia Open against Tai and Ratchanok may tell what Chen YF needs to work on in order to defend her Olympic title.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Congratulations, Chen Yufei, for beating Tai Tzu Ying in two straight sets, 21-13, 23-21 (after holding 4-matchpoints) for the second time in their head-to-head encounters, the first occasion being at the 2019 All-England Final, by 21-17 identical score.

It's worth commending on my part because it appears to me that today's victory as well as last week's also in the semifinals over her archrival, Tai Tzu Ying, demonstrated Chen Yufei's increased familiarity and better reading of her most difficult opponent's game.

The other tricky opponent for CYF is Akane Yamaguchi who at her running and retrieving best is a tough nut to crack as shown in their last two encounters where CYF were run to the ground, unable to overcome her opponent's uncanny ability to throw everything back at her. But the two aforesaid main rivals have different strengths and require different approaches to handle them.

We'll have to see how CYF handles AY the next time they meet, preferably when both are on top of their game, for if one of them is off-form, the puzzle remains unsolved, in my opinion.

This coming Badminton World Championships in August in Tokyo, Japan, should prove to be keenly contested in WS more so than in MS for which it's quite clear VA is more or less the hot favourite whereas in WS, apart from Tai TY, Chen YF, I would also count among the main contenders, Akane Y, Intanon R, C Marin, PV Sindhu , An Se Young, He BJ, Nozomi O, Wang Zhiyi, and, perhaps, one or two others who might surprise us by rising to the occasion. Can't wait for it.