Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

I love Momota and would want him to win tomorrow but lets be real. Momota had the smoothest ride this tournament with one player not turning up and the other getting injured. Only two games whereas Axelson had 3 sets since round 16. If VA wins then that just shows real bad news for Momota fans. If Momota can't take advantage of this fatigue and dominate then this just shows that the gap between him and Axelson is just growing more and more...

Woesi, visor and justiceforlcy like this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Imo, the lower part of the draw was much weaker and I don't think his chances are great. I know you only meant it tongue-in-cheek, but the "current order" is that Axelsen is clearly and deservedly the best player at the moment. Especially post Denmark Open, he has planned his career much better and got results where Momota barely turned up.

justiceforlcy likes this.
  3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Bless you

Schultzier likes this.
  4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yes for sure I don't foresee Momota winning tomorrow but I am glad he is playing much better.

I hope tomorrow's match ignite some fire inside him.

5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

When I watch Momota playing with Yamaguchi before the tour begins, I saw that Momota's performance was better.

With the performance he showed in semi-final. I believe he will win Viktor.

#1325 terrynguyen121988, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Quentin11 likes this.
  6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Nan I refuse to set my expectations that high.

All I want is to see him play well and give Axelsen a tough match tomorrow and get a boost in confidence and fire from this match.

7. tuomastoppila

tuomastoppila Regular Member

As if one game of 3 sets would tire out their bodies. They train each day like 100x harder. A complete rest day would kill their bodies and make them unable to play. Lee Yong Dae famously played like 2 hours of doubles before going out to play his real matches. How they got to the final thus does not matter. Whoever wins, wins. And even if Momota is not yet in perfect shape and manages to lose (meaning match fit), he is still a lot stronger than Axelsen imho.

8. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

That's where you're wrong. If you know anything about competing, playing to win is a huge strain on their bodies, and especially at high levels. It's not just physically, but also mentally. Playing one set will be a small toll on their bodies, and it'll slowly accumulate over the course of the week.

While I've never competed in higher level tournaments for badminton, I'll use swimming instead as I swim at a higher level than I play badminton.

The amount of training is a lot. In season, we'll swim hard of anywhere between 3000-7000 meters a session (generally two hours), twice a day, six times a week. In the case we don't swim twice but only once, we have weightlifting instead. Naturally, the volume swam will lessen as we near championship meets.

For me personally, the events I swim in only consist of 100 and 200 meters. Let's say I have four events total, two 100 meters and two 200 meters. For simplicity's sake, each event will be on consecutive days, with a prelims session in the morning and a finals session in the evening. With this lineup, my total volume is only 1200 meters not including the ~2000-3000 meter warmup/cool down I'd do. As such, the amount I swim competing is significantly less than the amount I train over the course of four days. By your logic, I should not be fatigued when competing over the course of the week.

The thing is, when you compete, you push your self to the absolute max that your body can handle, that you can mentally push yourself to. I didn't swim much, but it's gonna feel incredibly tiring after and I feel exhausted. I'll feel better the next day, but I'm no longer at the 100 percent I started off on before my first race. Reason why is the accumulation of lactic acid that builds up despite my efforts of recovery.

Competing and training are not exactly the same in this aspect. With training you can help improve your recovery when competing, but there's still a bit of fatigue that remains which can only be cured by taking a day off. This is why we have rest days.

I can only assume the same is for badminton (as well as many other sports). Some have better recovery than others, but I can assure you that playing at the highest level, there is definitely an accumulation of fatigue.

Pardon this rant of mine, seeing someone say that competing shouldn't affect their fatigue compared to training got me off on the wrong note.

Now I believe that if VA can beat Momota in an absolutely convincing manner, despite having played tougher sets, it would mean that he is currently the stronger one of the two. If it was 2019 Momota vs 2022 VA, I would have absolute confidence that Momota would come out on top. At the moment, I have to give the edge to VA.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I trust my intuition.

Anyway, it's just a super tour 750, enjoy it.

Quentin11 likes this.
  10. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

11. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Can't hear u guys!!

DSC09549A.jpg

12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Just saying I went to play badminton today.

Sundis likes this.
  13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Just do a good match Momota. Thank you

14. thasan

thasan New Member

Momota lost the first game 21-4. Did not work Axelsen at all. Typically, he beats Axelsen through extended physical/gruelling rallies. I am not sure how not working Axelsen in the first game will fit into his game plan. Wondering what his game plan is. However, Momota does not look worried...

15. thasan

thasan New Member

I hope he doesn't get too complacent. He has to take into account losing points to bad luck and errors.

16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

No, he looks scared and clueless. Is that better?;)

17. thasan

thasan New Member

Momota's defense against hard smashes seems to be quite strong.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Please retire sweetheart.

Cant move, cant attack, cannot defend, never had raw power, Cannot see(eyesight), your soul is broken.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I used to think his eyesight issue was ordinary nuisance.

Nope, MAJOR PROBLEM!

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

its alright. keep on working hard.