Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I hope too. If it is fitness condition that is hampering him, then at least there is hope. What I'm worry is blurry vision, or any long term side effect of Covid (eg, getting tired easily).

Hope to see him back in form before the Olympic qualifying period begin.

Pcyl likes this.
  2. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

He’s playing worse than last year………. so painful to watch as a longtime fan. I think he played okay last year up until that injury at the INA Open. He was still winning against SYQ, LZJ. Now, he can’t even last three games against Gemke. How terrible…

What makes it worse is seeing all these other players coming back from their own hardships succeed: Marin, Axelsen (his injury woes pre-OG), Hirota, ZSW. Why does Momota’s case seem so bleak?

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

He was definitely on the way back last year winning the Indonesian masters. And after his slight injury after, not sure what happened. LZJ has been beating him pretty often now. When SYQ returns later this year, I wonder how Momota will fare..

#1243 Justafan90, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

If anyone can translate his post-match interview here that’d be great:

Pcyl likes this.
  5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I haven't watch the match yet - I only saw the first rally. And I am surprised with Momota - he has everything - defense, neutralising shot and control of the drift (sideways). Second rally idk - whatever happens idk. I am watching now. Just wanted to share my thoughts off the first rally.

Pcyl likes this.
  6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Ok so many errors. But i'm in the opinion that he had better control today. Better defense. But too many errors and his stamina is non-existent.

Part of me kept believing that he would show his next gear in the 3rd game like before. But it didn't happen.

I think it's a bit late now. If nothing changes immediately that is...

Pcyl likes this.
  7. Justafan90

Once rankings are unfrozen, I wonder what will happen. Will he drop a lot?

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Momota is history. Too many chances gone. Many like me wants to see him comeback. Unfortunately he cant.

Adios momota san. ;) He can now eat more sushi. Btw, must be tbh fault for videoing him in ae practice. Kekeke.

#1248 extremenanopowe, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Unfortunately, it was impossible to hear the questions that were being asked. As far as Momota's answers are concerned:

1. My stamina did not hold out.
    2. No, that has nothing to do with it.
    3. With so much cheering from the fans, it is really regrettable that I lost. In that atmosphere, the more games I could have played, the better. I was happy to have had so much support, though.

mehmeh, Quentin11, lodoss and 2 others like this.
  10. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Thanks as always @kurako! Turns out the second question was about whether his eye injury from 2020 affected his game:

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has he burnt out after the Olympics?

12. Justafan90

I dun get it though. Why did his stamina worsen? He’s not injured, so he’s able to train

galaxyduo likes this.
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Thanks! That is exactly the question I was interested in. :)

Quentin11 likes this.
  14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Guys, momota cleared the air about the eye condition. Let's move on from that.
    As he clearly pointed out that his stamina is not good, he has a lot to work on in his fitness.
    And the coach part!, how I wished somebody would have asked that. But we will get diplomatic answer only for that as no player would think to criticize his coach on camera.

15. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Stamina was Momota's strength before. In Momota's run from 2018 to 2019 when he was #1 in the world, his other opponents were gassed by the second half of the 3rd set, and Momota would pull away and win in the second half of the 3rd set.

This is surprising to hear Momota admit his stamina is not good now. And I don't think stamina is related to his car accident at all, unless he suffered lung injuries in that car accident, which was not reported by the news.

17. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

In football, changing coaches, or buying and selling players, is a very common thing.

In terms of professionalism, changing coaches or athletes is not because they are bad, but just because they are no longer suitable for the club.

18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That's why I have been bickering about his fitness since a long time now.

As I said a few posts ago, for me I saw a better version of Momota in terms of defense, offense, footwork, net game, neutralising shot and clears.

That's about it. For me the above improved factors would have been enough to best Gemke easily if he had his stamina like before.

I understand every other things are a bit more difficult to work upon - such as shot quality, read of the game, reaction, guessing of players, offense and defense and that % that not many players have but only the tippity top.

However, I don't understand why he pure physical fitness isn't improving! I was shocked when he appeared in the Olympics looking normal and dull. I expected to see muscles over muscles with endless stamina and I still expect that.

Why do I get frustrated? Because when I see the lack of fitness like I mentioned in above paragraph and I hear reasons like 'body refreshing' training. Then I realise maybe he is not getting the best of support or they have no clue what they are doing with the guy

19. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Remind me of this.
    Seems like he is cruising and won't push as hard as before. Could that explain his lack of stamina?

20. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Well yeah. However I thought he would have had moved on and starting to train hard. But maybe he is not interested anymore.

However if he was interested but they are not accompanying him then it sucks.

He seems to think like manga characters. Rather manga characters are based on how japanese people think im guessing which is what we are seeing. So maybe he needs something mangaesque to make him have that fire again.

But this is the real world and your rivals are training like crazy and pushing to the limit