K. Srikanth क्. स्रिकनथ्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Congratz to Srikanth for getting at least a silver medal this WC!

Now he has a chance to win gold. I think his last Super Series win was 4 years ago in 2017? I can't remember exactly. Before the WC in 2017, he won back to back Super Series titles and he really looked like a favorite to win the WC, until he got eliminated by Son Wan Ho in the WC. Srikanth lost 4 years worth of time, but he has a huge chance to make it up and achieve the biggest win of his career if he can perform at his best tomorrow.

In any case, whatever the result for Srikanth tomorrow in the finals, he made the best of his opportunity, with a weak upper half bracket. This is what good players do though, they take advantage of the opportunity given to them. Viktor Axelsen could not beat Momota heading into the 2017 WC. Momota was Viktor Axelsen's kryptonite. Fortunately for Viktor, Momota was suspended and did not participate in the 2017 WC. Viktor took advantage of Momota's absence and won the 2017 WC.

For Srikanth, he needed to take advantage of the weak upper half bracket and he did take advantage of it. If Srikanth plays against Antonsen tomorrow in the finals, Srikanth will be the underdog. But you can't say that Srikanth didn't make the best of his situation to get up to the finals because he did it, he won where he was expected to win.

Baddyforall, arjevo and Sumanth99 like this.
  2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

At the start of the match it looked like KS was carrying the weight of the world, but the way he maintained composure was just awesome, especially coming back from 4-8, 10-13, 13-15 in game 3, those comebacks really stood out.

VA got lucky sometimes, but so are everyone who made it big, he also worked hard and truly deserved all that.
    To state a few,
    1. I think KS losing close to LD in OG'16, both KS, LCW tired out LD (35 yo isn't he?) and that played a very small part in VA getting bronze, poor KS had to face LD.
    2. KM not appearing in WC'17, accident in 2020, Chen Long playing with a huge blister in the finals also played a very small part for VA.

KS's luck is on a much bigger scale this time to get a weak draw.

galaxyduo likes this.
  3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

For VA, he did get lucky in the WC 2017 with Momota suspended. But luck also went against VA when he was younger. If my memory is correct, VA lost like 6 or 7 times in the finals of Super Series tournaments, never winning a single time. VA was becoming the king of 2nd place for losing in so many finals of the Super Series. His breakthrough finals win was the World Tour finals in Dubai around 2016 I think. VA got his first win against Tian Houwei in the finals, and both of them played very poorly and both were nervous.

For LD, it's hard to say how much is luck. LD is the best MS badminton player ever for a reason. IMO, this reason is that LD could always turn it up to 6th gear when he needed to, while the rest of the badminton field only had a 5th gear. I watched so many LD matches, and it was obvious that LD often liked to take the match to 3 sets, because LD would keep fresh and try to tire his opponents out in 3 sets. In the same tournament, LCW would just beat his opponents in 2 sets straight. But in the finals, LD would beat LCW.

If you examine the number of 3rd sets LD went to, given he is the greatest MS player in badminton, compared to LCW who often steamrolled his opponents in 2 sets in the same tournament, it was obvious that LD had his strategy of winning in 3 sets. So to clarify: it seemed like luck when LD won in 3 sets. But if you watch LD's matches, LD would conserve energy and stay fresh throughout the match, even though the match look close and went to 3 sets. And in the 2nd half of the 3rd set, LD would turn it up to his 6th gear while his opponent was on their 5th gear, and LD's conserved energy and conserved stamina, coupled with LD's 6th gear, would allow LD to pull away in the 3rd set. LD did this over and over against many opponents, including LCW and Chen Long. It was his way of winning and it worked for him (as opposed to LCW who just beat his opponents in 2 sets straight).

Mind you, this 3 set strategy by LD was used after the 2008 Olympics, and against top opponents. In the 2008 Olympics, he just steamrolled over everyone, mostly in 2 sets I think. But LD was young at that time, had better fitness, and more stamina. LD changed his style of play as he got older, using this 3 set strategy.

#783 galaxyduo, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Sumanth99 and Woesi like this.
  4. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I am pretty sure Srikanth could have beaten Loh KY in finals today had he not made so many unforced errors in crucial moments.
    LKY was fantastic, but Srikanth definitely had it in him to beat this guy. His strategy was also right.
    This is the best Srikanth I have seen in a long long time.

5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    We should be proud of this game.

arjevo, galaxyduo and Airos like this.
  6. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth's Post match interview:

Emotions right now:

Definitely it has been a great week, even today I had my chances in both the sets. In the first set I had a healthy lead, in the second set I had a 18-16 cushion. But yeah, I just wasn’t able to finish off the match today. Credits to him, he played really well. Lot of things to learn from this and I will definitely try to get better.

Frustration with the errors:

Going into this match, I wanted to very positive. Try to avoid mistakes. Sometimes, it happens. One has to win and one has to lose. Couldn’t really do much, I tried to stay in the match throughout. It really worked in the second set, but important to finish things off. Something that I will work on.

How different is Kean Yew now since last meeting:

Well, we played four years back or something [three years back at the CWG 2018]. A lot can happen in such a long time. He’s improved his game, matured as a player, physical strength... he’s been playing exceptionally well last few months. Playing really well.

Coming late to the tournament and whether he exceeded expectations:

I didn’t know if I will able to come here till last Thursday. Got to know Thursday around 5-6 pm, that I got my visa. Until I wasn’t sure. So yeah, just happy to be able play this tournament and it has been a great week for me, I was able to play really well throughout. Would’ve loved to win even today, but will definitely try and get better.

Looking back at 2021:

Few tournaments I played really well, few tournaments I couldn’t play. Again, at a such big event, to be in the final and get this opportunity at the World Championships to win silver... something that I worked really hard for. I’ll just try and continue to work hard, it’s a process. Lot of tournaments next year with Asian Games, CWG, another Worlds. Big year... will try and learn from this experience and work on it.

Message to fans:

Definitely would like to thank everyone back home. They have been wonderful, they’ve supporting me throughout the week. I’ve been getting a lot of good wishes. Just very happy for that.

Kowalski and samkool like this.
  7. Baddyforall

'Have you eaten well?' Kidambi Srikanth reveals conversation with his mother, who never watches his matches, after historic World Championships silver

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...championships-silver/articleshow/88451949.cms

"My mother doesn't watch any match, both my mom and dad, from the beginning, not just now. Either I will call after my my match or my brother tells them the result. But in general, they don't watch," said Kidambi

#787 Baddyforall, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    samkool likes this.
  8. Baddyforall

https://english.sakshi.com/news/and...lakh-cash-prize-5-acres-land-tirupati-kidambi

AP CM YS Jagan Announces Rs 7 lakh Cash Prize, 5 Acres Land In Tirupati For Kidambi Srikanth

Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has felicitated Badminton Player Kidambi Srikanth for creating history by becoming the first Indian male shuttler to win a silver medal at the World Championships and announced a cash award of Rs 7 lakh and five acres of land at Tirupati for setting up a badminton academy.

Kidambi Srikanth paid a courtesy visit to the Chief Minister at the camp office here on Wednesday. He has won a silver medal in BWF World Championships 2021 held in Spain from December 12-19. Kidambi works as a Deputy Collector in the government of Andhra Pradesh.

galaxyduo likes this.
  9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Today was a very nice accomplishment for Srikanth. I know a lot of Indian fans have been very harsh on Srikanth (I am not from India). He was a top 3 player in the world before, and going into the 2017 WC, Srikanth was also one of the favorites, having won so many SS before the 2017 WC. But Srikanth did very well to get to the finals in the WC last year. And now he has sealed the deal for India in this Thomas Cup. Srikanth played a perfect tournament this Thomas Cup, winning all 5 of his matches.

Hope you Indian fans can be a little less harsh on Srikanth. I mean, I bet Srikanth feels awkward enough, losing his #1 spot to Laksha Sen. I know Srikanth has had a few rough years since 2017, but you got to admit, with the silver medal at the WC, and now winning the Thomas Cup with a perfect 5-0 record in his matches, Srikanth has delivered in for India in the last 6 months

Loh, Airos and arjevo like this.
  10. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

MVP for me is Srikanth. I'm happy for him. He went through so many things. First he didn't accept and was doing the same mistakes again and again. Then he got the self belief after winning WC silver. And now this Thomas cup performance. Winning that match for India will be sweeter for him I guess than WC silver. Let that moment sink in, Srikanth. You totally deserve it

Loh, arjevo and galaxyduo like this.
  11. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

So much was said about him choking at crucial moments.
    But in the past few tournaments, he is playing with a lot more maturity.
    In this tournament particularly, playing the important 2nd singles, he showed supreme mental fortitude and proved most of us wrong regarding his handling pressure.

galaxyduo, Airos and arjevo like this.
  12. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Airos and Sumanth99 like this.
  13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He is still smashing blindly like wc final. Now with the cg blunder, he is gg downhill with his fitness. 29yo gonna have uphill climb.

Most good, fit or younger players will make him smash to tire him from now. ;)

#793 extremenanopowe, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  14. browning

browning Regular Member

Why has KS switched back to this spaghetti Lining Tectonic again after winning Thomas Cup in style with new Axforce? Many players lose that critical last 1% of their attack (both power and precision) after switching to Lining - PVS, ASG, JC, KS, Praveen Jordan needed an "extra stiff" variant (probably had to import that shaft from Japan).

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This 2nd lost to NTY in cg proves that his fitness is a big problem going forward. 3rd game will be brutal for him.

He made so many mistakes in g3. No fitness to think clearly. ;)

#795 extremenanopowe, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  16. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

slipped to wr19 now....

17. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

SK has improved under Parupalli.. Seeing his good game after long time.
    But LCY (HK) played very well yesterday. But SK on progressive path..