SMART Badminton ASIA Championships 2022 (Manila, 26 April-01 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

So the last few days are not even gonna be on YouTube?

2. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

She had injured her right calf before the tournament. Hopefully she will recover by Uber Cup

Pcyl and Justin L like this.
  3. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Court 3
    gdfgdfg56456ghjghkl;;l890797897.png

4. terrynguyen121988

BWF always said that they do everything for badminton development.

100 billions dollar was used to aim to make badminton popular in Africa, South America,... and another 100 billions dollar to make badminton great again in Asia + Europe.

Then they let badminton crazy fans have to watch badminton matches like the thieves.

How can badminton be popular even in Asia and Europe with this kind of system.

Simeon, Anks, om patel and 1 other person like this.
  5. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

He is now experiencing what he induced in his opponents i.e. lack of self-belief, which in my opinion is why in most matches, his opponents lost with a score below 10 or maximum 12.

He forced his opponents into a state of confusion, which is really why he could play freely. The the mythical "superior" footwork and stamina aren't the reason why he used to win. He did, because he got his opponents to feel powerless. He crushed their spirit, while appearing to be better skill wise than he actually was. He was skilled at bluffing though, like a good gambler.

6. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

It looks as though they are playing inside some old warehouse. The venue leaves a lot to be desired.

7. terrynguyen121988

oh yeah, Badminton Pan Am have two live streams.

Europe badminton have all live streams.

And Asia people have to spy badminton in Asia from BWF

Anks and Gigabit like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks.

9. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

He did not appear to be superior in bluffing, he was superior. Peak Momota was a sight to see, his domination broke down the spirits of his opponents and it took an accident to bring him down to this state. You cannot bluff your way into winning 11 titles in one year, having a 14-3 record against VA, and winning the WC after your ban gets released. He's had several matches that were of the highest quality that badminton had to offer, like in the HSBC World Tour Finals in 2019 against Ginting. It's a shame people are downplaying or forgetting how great he once was.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Erm...I wouldn't put it the way you do which sounded cynical and dismissive, even somewhat smacking of disdain.

In my opinion, Momota is a true master at the rallying controlled game, practically second to none which, with its novelty effect, especially when both Lin Dan and Lee CW, and to a considerable extent Chen Long as well, were past their prime and in their twilight badminton years, he, like a breath of fresh air, managed to more or less sweep all opposition before him for about one-and-a-half to two years after he made a successful comeback from a one-year ban by NBA.

Now that the novelty effect has worn off , not to mention his unfortunate but narrow escape from what would've been a fatal accident in Malaysia, which undeniably put a temporary brake on his career but still he survived with presumably full recovery, his reign extended for a little while more and the rest , as they said, is history as more and more opponents are getting the hang of playing against him, thus resulting in what he is today, partly compounded by his crisis of confidence. To put it bluntly, he really (and literally) has to reinvent himself going forward.

Anyway, right now, if you asked me, I'm not ready to rule him out, Momota is not done yet, far from it. I mean, you don't simply write off a twice world champion cum multiple prestigious titleholder who is still at an age, 27 now, where most players are considered to be in the prime, apart from the fact that his H2H records against the current crop of active top players is veritably quite enviable. I bet even Viktor Axelsen is still wary of him the next time they meet, their overwhelming psychological advantage in their encounters so far, lopsidedly in favour of Momota, is near-impossible to ignore for, as we know, the mental aspect of the game is just as if not more important than the physical aspect of it.

You might want to hold your horses before passing such a hasty and uncalled-for judgement.

Aayoosh, tbgoh288, Pcyl and 1 other person like this.
  11. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Why this negative suspicion if there are upset? This only shows that there are more capable players and depending on matchup and style of play, a great player may do well with most by not with certain style of play or players.

12. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    I think Momota does not have the fitness currently to play at top level.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
  14. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

Of course if there are a few upsets, then maybe what you said is valid.

But then, if you notice, there are quite a number of results that are pretty unusual. It's not just a few it's many. But then I doubt you actually pay attention in general to the expectations and the general abilities of the players anyway.

That is why you notice that I got a like to my comment because someone actually noticed this.

Of course, I will say that the environment may play a major factor whereby the players are not playing in an actual badminton arena and that it's pretty windy. Making certain players not taking the tournament seriously.

Maybe I do observe those things because I actually put money in.

#54 ong huigen, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Pcyl likes this.
  15. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Seriously ? Bro My home Tournament is S300 Syed Modi and in my home tournament we have live streaming of at least 2 courts from day 1 and our Stadium is well carpeted and decorated and I have seen Swiss Open,Spain Masters and many others and quite frankly to compare this so called 1000 to even a S100 event is a blunder and insult.

This worthless crap of a tournament doesnt even deserve to be a S100 event let alone a S300.

Thebestbees likes this.
  16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Couldnt agree more with ever single point you've made...If these ppl cant organize a S1000 event then I highly recommend to shift this event to Indonesia,India,Malaysia ..heck I think even Uganda or Tuvalu would have organized such tournament better than these folks in the organizing comittee:mad::confused:

Feeling frustrated and honestly heart broken as if the crap tarp or thatched roof stadium wasnt much of a disdain already that they also happen to have a crappy YT channel and more crappy coverage over all:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

17. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

Guess that explains why so many players gave up.

And I am talking about established players. That's why so many upsets.

Why would they hold this tournament there anyway.

Anks and Thebestbees like this.
  18. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Watching nehwal vs Wang Zhi Yi

Surprised sainal still on tour. (Thought she'd start a family or go help modi). She looked improved quickness compared 3 months ago.

Wang seemed like regressing or stagnating. Playing style, (lack of) quickness, screams reminds me of Busana. Hope she improves.

19. terrynguyen121988

The man who won Momota yesterday, won Lee Cheuk Yik today.

He played quite well this tournament.

20. terrynguyen121988

Picture from Vietnam coach.

You could see a lot of air-conditioners blowing above the court.

There is a storm in the court ^-^ That's why many players struggle with their shots.
    gfsdhjgdfjg4535345gfdgb112222.jpg

#60 terrynguyen121988, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Cheung, Michael V, Anks and 6 others like this.