Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you think a joint decision might have been made? Preparing for world championships must be a priority given its also held in Japan

2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Japan should not skip Korea Open, I think.

Why players (like Nishimoto) didn't pay to play Korea Open by their money.

3. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I wonder if it's more a case that he is a niggle that requires treatment etc. I would have thought Momota needs matches to be match fit.

4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Am I a huge idiot to think that they are somehow messing with him? Like a sabotage?

5. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I juz felt if he could hav done well the swiss open and maybe korean open, it would greatly help his confidence.

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I doubt that it is much of a joint decision. And this is reflected in Momota's often quoted, "I will do my utmost in any tournament that I am entered for".

The NBA's schedule for the year, as well as which category of players will attend each tournament (Team A; the blurry line between A- and B+; B) is made as early as January of the given year. A few tweaks are made to this schedule, but only in so far as tournament cancellations or budgetary considerations impact it.

Japan works in an extremely 'egalitarian' way (to put it as nicely as possible). Public funding (where it is not embezzled) will be split between Teams A and B according to a pre-determined formula, and every effort will be made that each national team player, however, unpromisingly he/she may be playing at the time, will get his/her 'hour upon the stage'.

That Momota was not going to feature at the Korean Open and Masters had already been decided at the beginning of 2022. Please find below the latest update (dated February 22) of the yearly schedule, which proves the point. Although I cut off the latter half of the agenda, tournament participation, as divided between the varying levels of the national team, has already been determined until December 2022.

They need permission to do this from the NBA, ... and giving permission to do so would not only run counter to the concept of egalitarianism, it might also prevent the up-and coming players (cough, cough) from earning much needed points.

upload_2022-3-28_23-2-2.png

Nonconvex and Cheung like this.
  7. Justafan90

Wait, but there is no players going to the korea open/masters at all? Why is that? I mean its not about giving ask players equal time if no one goes right?

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

An old way of doing things.

The glory of the current Japanese team is brought by foreign coaches.

Japan has only one thing: "the people", and it is being wasted by the old system

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Some of the Team A-/B+ are apparently participating. Both tournaments are marked down as B+ on the table above (highlighted).

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Unfortunately, PJB also seems to have become part of the establishment.

11. Justafan90

But momota is the defending champion in korea right? To not let him play so they can send another team is cray.

12. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Any news on our favorite badminton player? :rolleyes:

13. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Yeah, she and her teammates got honored for winning the AE. :cool:

Cheung, yuon, Desireless and 4 others like this.
  14. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Really surprised that top Japanese players are not playing in the neighboring country of Korea in a top tier tournament. Are they short of funds or what? Kento needs more international matches than anybody else right now, after his dismal performance in AE and long absence.

I noticed that he was slow on the courts and his pre-accident solid defence which he was known for, has faltered and he looks very nervous when opponents smash at him and he often can't return these smashes back!
    I do feel sorry for him, as the accident wasn't his fault in Malaysia on his way to the airport, the Malay driver was napping before he hit the back of a lorry!

15. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Maybe the plan is to skip Korea Open in order to get enough rest and to prepare for the Asian Championship at the end of April and the Thomas Cup at the beginning of May? Hopefully the Asian Championship won't get cancelled so Momota can get some match practice in before the team events. He is the defending champion there.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Is your cat head-heavy?

17. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

He is head light from all the rage. His name is Astrox 8)

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

String him at 33 x 35 and see how it goes

Schultzier likes this.
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

In a pre-departure interview (Badminton Asia Championships), Momota confessed that his current form is roughly 50% when compared to his heyday. He stated that he does not have the courage to move to the front of the court, and rather than technique, it is confidence, i.e., the mental aspect of the game, that is proving an issue.

Momota, apparently, is saddened by comments insinuating that "he is off-form" or that "the Momota of 2019 is gone"; but tries not to take them to heart too much. He comments, "I am nothing more than who I am at the moment". Momota intends to play his best according to his current ability. He feels that there will be quite a number of tight matches, but aims to pull through.

Head Coach Park agrees that Momota is not back to his best, but believes that the player's condition will improve once he amasses more matches under his belt.

20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    So deep, pure gold.

shadishv, Schultzier and Renmazuo27 like this.