Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The time difference prevented me from watching any of Momota's matches; not to mention the enthusiasm-sapping event occurring in Eastern Europe. Let me just add here, however, I doubt that having contracted Covid impacted Momota's game; he was already seriously derailed by that devastating accident, followed by a prolonged period of erratic training due to the NBA's mishandling of the pandemic. Then add to this Momota's mental fragility, and this is what you get. I am inclined to think that what he probably needs more than anything is a strong and supportive "better half"; I am sure that would cure at least half of the problem. :D

A liberal translation of Momota's responses in the heavily-edited Badminton Magazine goes as follows:

March 16 (Match against Vittinghus):
    Q. Tell us about today's match.
    However many times I play, I still get nervous on this stage. I didn't get off to a good start, but found my self relaxing little by little. I wanted to spend more time on the court, and it is a shame that the match was cut short. I enjoyed it, though.

Q. Looking back on the match, what do you think went well?
    I think my court coverage was good. My footwork was solid, and I was able to move around the court.

Q. What about tomorrow's match?
    The next match is going to be a tough battle. I hope to have the willpower to return one more shuttle than my opponent, and to enjoy playing.

March 17 (Match against Heo)
    Q. This is an opponent to whom you lost twice consecutively, including at the Olympics.
    As I lost to him consecutively, I approached the game with the feeling of being the challenger.

Q. Today, you played a wonderful game.
    I believe that stepping in properly when my opponent attacked from near the net worked well.

Q. Next, you are up against last year's AE champion, Lee Zii Jia.
    I lost against him in the last time we met so, once again, I will approach the match from the stance of being a challenger, and give it my all.

Q. You spent two and a half months resting following an injury. Did you do any training?
    I didn't do any particular training; I spent each day so as not to have any regrets.

March 18 (Match against Lee)
    Q. What did you think about the match?
    I wanted to play aggressively in game one, but was unable to control the drift and pulled back. In games two and three, deciding that it didn't matter if I lost, I played all out.

Q. In the final game, it was close until the 11th point.
    Until midway I was able to play well; thereafter, I think my level of concentration dropped.

----- :):)

#981 kurako, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Nonconvex, Cheung, justforfun and 3 others like this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

[​IMG]

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Hbmao @Cheung

I think the accident definitely had an effect especially someone in the same vehicle was killed. That alone is enough to have lasting effect on someone.

As if the above was not enough - he came back and started training only to find that he has a problem with his eyes. Let's not forget that. And I think this is one of the major factor affecting his gameplay because ever since the read he had on his opponents was no longer the same.

Then you have covid which could potentially have an impact and if you add the above two experiences to that for me it gets worse.

But I think there are some other factors such as his mental strength which needs to be looked at.

When he had the accident he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to play badminton at all anymore. So in his mind he would be zero. Maybe he has that in the back of his mind. And in my opinion and based on my speculation, it can be seen clearly base on his comments where his mindset is.

This cannot be the mindset of a 2 time world champion and record keeper on tournament wins in a season. This is the mindset of someone doubting himself and mentally weak.

4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Hbmao @Cheung

I think the accident definitely had an effect especially someone in the same vehicle was killed. That alone is enough to have lasting effect on someone.

As if the above was not enough - he came back and started training only to find that he has a problem with his eyes. Let's not forget that. And I think this is one of the major factor affecting his gameplay because ever since the read he had on his opponents was no longer the same.

Then you have covid which could potentially have an impact and if you add the above two experiences to that for me it gets worse.

But I think there are some other factors such as his mental strength which needs to be looked at.

When he had the accident he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to play badminton at all anymore. So in his mind he would be zero. Maybe he has that in the back of his mind. And in my opinion and based on my speculation, it can be seen clearly base on his comments where his mindset is.

This cannot be the mindset of a 2 time world champion and record keeper on tournament wins in a season. This is the mindset of someone doubting himself and mentally weak.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What people forget from the accident is that a person died in the accident. That person must have only been three or four metres away from KM at the most.

KM went through a close life threatening experience. I don't know how many people here have been through a life threatening situation but again, it's unpredictable and not easy to bounce back from. You get times of flashbacks and suddenly freezing. Sometimes the effects of traumatic experiences last a lifetime. Would a normal person on the street be called mentally weak because they had a life threatening experience and had flashbacks or post traumatic stress disorder?

Of course not. So to say KM is "mentally weak" because his psychological status after a life threatening accident has been affected is very unfair. Remember he is also a human being.

Nonconvex, Sirppi, samkool and 2 others like this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

His physicality also appears to be a shadow of his former self.

Look at how meaty his legs, glutes and quads are in this following video.

and compare it with his match against Zee Lee Jiaa

His upper body is looking remarkably contracted. Legs have barely any muscles to them and are more like his teen years of 2012 and 2013.

So, the big question,in my mind is what is preventing him from hitting the gym and getting bigger?

7. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Yeah, but has he been re-traumatized after winning Indonesia 750 and playing really well and confident there? Or is it maybe his piss poor career management that has lead to two injuries last winter and a subsequently bad form right now?

Quentin11 likes this.
  8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

His new-found focus on 'refreshing' the body, rather than 'punishing' it. This also seems to be the advice of PJB.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I've just seen the QF match vs Lee Zii Jia and here's my two cents on this.

I think the Momota we all know and love is still in there. As many of you mentioned, the 2nd game and 1st half of the 3rd game showed glimpses of it. At this point, there seems to be a lack of a plan B or C when plan A does not go well. Momota seems to give up and become indecisive, costing him initiative and making him passive. He seems to let the game meander along until something clicks and he'll go again from there.

He still has the ability to read the opponents shots but ultimately he seems to be down on confidence on his game. His attacking game has lacked penetration so when this doesn't work, he gets passive. Footwork seemed sharp in the 2nd and 1st half of the 3rd game. Momota also seems to be very worried about that sharp angled attack to his backhand, exploited by the bigger hitters (Heo Kwang Hee on his day and of course Lee Zii Jia). He always seems to be looking for it, thus making him susceptible to the attack down his forehand side.

I would think that doing a few of the 300 or 500 level events, get a good run of tournaments going, get used to winning again and boosting his confidence would do wonders for him.

I actually enjoyed that match against Lee Zii Jia for one. I'm hoping Momota can look back on the 2nd and part of the 3rd game and say to himself, "I still have the game to beat Lee Zii Jia, I can still beat everyone else. I just have to believe in it and want it more than the other guy on the other side of the net."

10. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I mean I did mention about the accident and saying that this alone has long lasting effect. I am perfectly aware of that.

But at the same time he is a 2 time world champion, the former no. 1 and the current no.2. He is not a nobody. He is a freaking megastar.

So he has to have access to some sports psychologist to iron out all these issues. But I do agree even with a psychologist it is not guaranteed that he could completely eliminate these 'memories'.

I feel for the guy of course and i'm still one of his biggest fan. But it pains me to see him like that and saying these things.

Now @kurako is saying about refreshing the body? What is PjB thinking?

Refresh the body? No wonder why Momota has the strongest smash in MS currently.

11. Nine Tailed Fox

When Novak Djokovic looked like a skeleton post his elbow surgery in 2018 ,he had three to four first round exits in Masters 1000 tournament and had a love and peace (guru/fraud) Pepe Imaz in his team/corner.

[​IMG]

His original 2011 coach, Marian Vajda said this

“Tennis can‘t be based on philosophy, it‘s a sport, man vs. man,” Vajda said. “If you want to be the best, you do that by repetitions in practice, by matches and strong mentality. When you see an opponent, you have to focus on where to send the ball, not to think about Buddha.”

Quentin11 likes this.
  12. Nine Tailed Fox

So, Momota should quit this pseudo-science/anti-science stuff

and hit the Gym focusing on proper reps and muscle building.

GironPapi, Cheung and Quentin11 like this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

wrong thread

#993 terrynguyen121988, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My guess is his lung capacity maybe affected by covid. His is not young anymore, there are a lot of pounding for a defensive player like him. He hardly smash.

So, we will see in a few more tournaments; and if he cant make it to finals, then he is gone.

All the younger players will be grinding him to the 4 corners since he doesnt smash much. Psychologically, it is tough for him after one another.

Oldest player in top 10 is ctc, the rests are younger and not affected by covid. Lky just got infected recently. Wonder if he will be affected as well. ;)

In badminton, its either you smash or use your stamina superiority to beat your opponents. He doesnt have the pre 2019 stamina anymore. ;)

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I got Covid-19 early this month and have recovered. The symptons were mild, only cough and sore throat but the effects are still here.

I can't do the >350km/h smash continuously anymore. The chest is tight and breathing is difficult. Need to take 2 breaths for a complete cycle. These days, I rally more and hoping for my opponents to make the mistakes.

Hopefully these effects will slowly go away and I am back to my pre Covid-19 levels.

Just sharing and looks like everyone who had Covid-19 are feeling the effects and the fans can be more understanding.

#995 nokh88, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Cheung and Cunning Linguist like this.
  16. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I agree too about the lasting effect. I have recovered since two weeks but it is as if my body has become lazy. It's weird stuff.

Cunning Linguist and nokh88 like this.
  17. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Former AE champ Tan Boon Heong casually waltzing in on Momota's warmup

Cheung, terrynguyen121988 and Woesi like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Really like the way TBH was explaining how the warmup works. I felt I could understand Bahasa. :D . He said "sini" quite often.

19. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Why is it so hard to find any news about monota? How is he doing? I dont think he should have skipped the Swiss open and the upcoming korean open.

20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I don't think he has too much choice in the matter. These type of decisions are generally not made by the players themselves.