Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2022 : R/32 - Final (16-20 March)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

yeah cant have everything but a 3rd AE title would be nice i reckon for them.

I wonder if Hendra will be the oldest AE winner in MD if he wins this ( or he already is at 2019?)

2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think CYF now lost credibility in the eyes of Chinese coaches to bestow her of anymore SpecialChineseWalkoverPrivilege opportunities. It is too much of a risk of reputation, careers that is at stake and CYF royally blew it away succumbing to pressure.

nokh88, GoodmintonLover and arjevo like this.
  3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Don't know if this is the right place to write this. But I just wanted to express my views regarding prev and present era dominance of players/pairs.

-> Previous era WC and OG medallists had an X factor, other players used to fear them. Those medallists dominated not only WC, OG but also the tour events

Compare it with present era players, no disrespect to present era WC and OG medallists but they perform well at single major and then fizzle out at tour events. No consistency. Some examples- JC winning Asiad, Sindhu winning major medals, GreysiaAprianni winning OG Gold, etc

-> Among the present era, I see only 2018-19 Momota doing justice to his billing. He not only dominated WC but also tour events. Asiad would be an exception but that's okay. Momota and prev era players had that zeal which I think in current crop it is missing.

-> What makes Saina different from Sindhu is she gave her best throughout her career. She went in SS/SSP with attitude of breaching Chinese wall and winning it. Compare it with Sindhu attitude. How many SS/SSP/500+ does she have ? 3,4,5 ?

Current era players who have done justice- Momota, Carolina Marin, ZhengHuang, WYL/HDP, Daddies 2.0

Prev era players- LCW, LD, CL, Wang Yihan, Li Xuerui, Wang Xiaoli/ Yu Yang, Zhao/Qing, ZhangZhao, Xu/Ma, top MD pairs of that era.

Edit: This post is not to undermine present era players winning major medals but just highlighting that if fans compare, they'll look at the prev era players did more justice to them winning those titles. Who won't like badminton to be exciting again ? Rivalries, doing justice to ranking and winning major titles are something which is really needed for the sport to flourish.

#1003 Baddie lover, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    rajat_remar, Shamwow, Woesi and 6 others like this.
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I love it when you think that the World is revolving around you. I had a friend like you when I was studying college. I remember him whenever I see your posts.
    Posts about How to beat Kento momota?. How to beat Viktor Axelsen and how to beat LKY?.
    Do you really think players would have seen it ?.Nah.

arjevo and mohans like this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

yeah but we know Greysia is at the end of her career. She can never win many titles to begin with against multiple Chinese/Japanese walls.

Sometimes its like Natsir where she have won many titles ans she finally won the Olympic thats more sweet.

Now imagine LeeWang winning OG, where were they in AE? Doesnt feel like they are missed and sounds like they are forgotten Champion. Well its the risk that athletes have to go through.

Maybe in case of Sindhu is she hasnt won that many SS as we will have like to deserve that WC or Olympic medals and its not like all of those are Gold. Like Marin yeah she did justice.

also can one said in the past whether its SusiSusanti era or LinDan era, the path to riches lies in winning Olympic Gold, Rk1 doesnt give much while nowadays there are so many endorsements being linked with winning many tour titles (+ higher prize money even inflation wise its way higher) and being WR1 in the world that winning OG isnt the most paramount ( you can have it you can dont have it)

GoodmintonLover likes this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL
    upload_2022-3-20_11-31-35.png

Yamaguchi-An SY rivalry resumed in new season after recurrent meetings last year, a bit of an oddity amid women's singles health competition. Tai Tzu Ying falters when her comeback didn’t succeed in opener, psychological impact disrupts her overall mood and concentration subsequently, became under pressure and reigniting the inevitable basic errors. Poor start by TPE ace to follow ASY rally game rather than initiating to attack then she regrouped in middle of game but unfortunately her effort wasn't enough to rattle the Korean unwavering play. The titanic clash of Olympic Champion versus World Champion should serve a cracking match instead of one-way traffic scene as the energizer Yamaguchi was too dominant over the sluggish Chen YF who morphed into an average player with slow movement, inaccurate and became easy prey to tame. Rather contrary with He Bingjiao who displayed more impressive performance last week but gave walkover couple of days ago due to back injury.

Four consecutive All England final for contemporary MS prominent player, Viktor Axelsen who had undisturbed path towards last destination, all in straight-sets completion including how he knocked out well-known foe, Chou TC who forced the tall Dane brought out tougher effort in second game. Hard smash, analytical skill and good defense among Axelsen advantage but he will get trouble if he meets agile player with excellent netplay and defense. A giant leap of badminton career for Lakshya Sen who realized dazzling hope for Indian fans after edged past defending champion Lee Zii Jia in nail-biting match. The tenacious Sen shows his real potential here particularly mental strength while Lee ZJ succumbed to huge pressure, the Malaysian was unable to keep focus and stay composed in critical moment rather than being passive, played quite monotonous and readable shots and found the deadlock. It's been long time to witness IND MS entering All England final, the last one was 2001 edition when Pullela Gophicand surprised Chinese player Chen Hong at that time.
    • A smooth regeneration for INA, the onus on Fikri/Maulana to continue glory in this category, this bravery challengers disappoint the Minions with faster game and steel determination to balance world #1, most interesting part was the net battle. Next, the respectable seniors Ahsan/Setiawan await them to end All England with happy ending. The Indonesian veterans outsmart China power play, to avoid lifting shuttlecock that will punished by He/Tan lethal smash. This Chinese pair will end their partnership, He JT will start new chapter with Zhou Haodong in next tournaments.
    • Barring any major upset, another Japanese combination will triumph WD category, the impressive Matsuyama/Shida who configurate efficiency style of play, to attack more combined with creativity placement that design women's doubles more attractive to watch. Their last stumbling block is the unheralded Zhang SX/Zheng Y who beat Indian pair straight forwardly, perhaps this new combination is prepared to be CHN second pair in future years.
    • The defending champions play superbly to halt Thai duo winning streak, their marvelous placement and monstrous speed really scrambling and brought misery for Bass/Popor who practically flat footed and powerless to stem the vigorous opponents. Watanabe/Higashino will meet nemesis to extend All England victory, Wang YL/Huang DP who have fallen off the radar since bagged Olympic Gold medal, their last encounter won by the Japanese in Odense last October.

#1006 CLELY, Mar 19, 2022
    Woesi, It'sMeMeMe, Cheung and 4 others like this.
  7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I'm still sad and shocked because my king, Lee Zii Jia, lost last night. :D :D :D

HOW DARE YOU!

Baddyforall likes this.
  8. Baddyforall

Even Lee zii jia in his post match interview praised Sen that he was good at net which made the difference .
    Just small difference between two. It would have gone either way. Yesterday, it went in favour of sen

#1008 Baddyforall, Mar 19, 2022
  9. Baddie lover

Yoji, it's totally your view. I'm no one to tell you how dare you have this view. But I respectfully disagree. I've read your this view countless times but everytime I read I shake my head. For me, for 99 percent players and fans, winning titles and accolades is much more than just money. Money is no doubt important but why do you think Messi says he'll want to exchange all his Balon D'ors and UCL titles with Barca for 1 WC with Argentina ? Do you think your favourite Kevin won't rue the fact he hasn't won WC or OG medals yet ?

arjevo likes this.
  10. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    I have always felt the same way. I still maintain that Saina was a much better player in her prime and had she not injured her knee in Rio we would still be seeing her spring surprises here and there. Definitely would have remained in the top 10. She is so much better than half of the players in current top 20 but ever since her surgery post Rio I could always see this fear of aggravating or re injuring herself on her face and that fear restricted her movement even more. Sindhu isn't half as good as Saina when it comes to tactical aspects of the game.

11. terrynguyen121988

Momota also did the same thing (the net) in the second game to disable his smashes. This is the key to win.

Baddyforall likes this.
  12. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Lol

Btw, India needs an MS coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1012 mohans, Mar 19, 2022
    Baddyforall likes this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

I want to see how to beat king Lee Zii Jia. :D :D :D

14. Baddyforall

He has written something in his blog.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

Momota is not the same one what I have seen of him.

16. Baddyforall

Momota is not at all in his element. Hope he realises it and pull his shorts accordingly asap. Otherwise time is running out.
    Why Japan could not produce another Momota?. That's another topic. But I was curious.

17. backhand_slice_drop

backhand_slice_drop Regular Member

Saina previously struggled with pace when she played against Marin back in 15 and it’s the pace at which the WS is played these days. With all due respect to Saina I think she would struggle a lot against tai/akane and Marin. Saina always struggled with a few players (li xuerei and yihan and then Marin) while doing well against a few others (RI or NO) which explains why she doesn’t have any big title (AE or WC or year end finals)

Sindhu is tactically never as good as Saina but she really has the goods when she shows up at the major events. I don’t think Saina could ever do what Sindhu did at WC19 (beating tai and sprinting to the title). Although her professionalism is a big question mark. Everyone has fed her this big tournament player and she just doesn’t show up at the tour tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anks, GoodmintonLover and Baddyforall like this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lakshaya Sen has completed his PHD from Chen Jin's school of Badminton, perhaps even outdoing Master Jin in the process. Plus his physical built is better suited for this genre of badminton than Chen Jin.

So, we depart from the traditional endless rally masters aka Kashyap, Prannoy, Praneeth, GuruSaidutteshwar, Chetan Anand etc etc.

and hopefully work towards the success oriented play-style.

Badminton's very own Ferrer(Sen) vs Murray (Vidditsarn) are on the horizon.

19. Baddie lover

Haha grinders. I just wish he becomes Djoko or Federer or Nadal achievements wise. Ferrer had a great track record against outside top 5. He always seemed to have missing against top 3. So in that aspect, I wish Sen becomes better than him :D

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  20. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Why did LY/WCL skipped All England? Would hav been nice to have the Olympics champions here