Tennis elbow pain and racket suggestion

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Virag, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Virag

Virag New Member

Hello dear forum members.will be helpful if some guys could advise me what racket i should go for.
    I am having tennis elbow pain since 5 months.i could play but with the tennis elbow pain occurs post the play sessions.
    Currently using astrox 77 3U , G5 .head heavy.
    Need help and advise for which racket to go for and what specifications to look for.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Stretch properly before playing.

Adjust grip size

You might also be holding the racquet too tightly

Look up earlier threads on tennis elbow - there’s good advice there.

3. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

Dropping down to 4u helped me with pain, but also grip makes all the difference too

4. Bugles

Bugles New Member

I had this problem long time ago when I started playing badminton. This is what I discovered, it is not the racket, it's the tension.

Started playing badminton and borrowed my friend's racket that is strung at 30lbs, instant tennis elbow, been playing with it for a month thinking if I improve my technique it will go away but unfortunately no. Next month came in borrowed my friend's old racket, same racket, it wasn't restrung for more than 2 years because there is a thin line of crack, next thing I know I had shoulder pain, but my tennis elbow went away after a few days. When I bough my own racket, I strung it with 22lbs, every pain I got went away, every year I went up 1lbs but I settled at 26lbs right now, however, I can now play 30lbs without tennis elbow. It takes time for your muscles to get used to higher tension. This is just my experience though.

ah_lim, Chris Haynes and kwun like this.
  5. LuckyR

LuckyR New Member

I don't doubt your experience, but I wonder if the improvement was in your backhand stroke mechanics and not in the racquet or strings. I mention this because of the relative weights of tennis racquets and badminton racquets.

Chris Haynes likes this.
  6. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Since this is a (the) badminton forum, We can all agree that hitting a white feathered shuttle is by far more addictive then any other inferior racket sport (like tennis);):p.

However tennis elbow don't necessarily has something to do with the sport. If someone is looking for a cure, check this out.
    https://www.masalo.eu/
    I had good success with it.

7. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Yes this.

I've been playing with G4s with yonex pu grip thingies over them for a long time now and had recent elbow pain. It's very noticable if I try and pick up something compact and heavy with just my fingers / hand (cash tin with lots of coins in it, folder full of paperwork).

I replaced my main racquet overgrip with one of the really thin Yonex ones and it doesn't look pretty (due to being on my kitchen table for over 8 years and is now flaking off a bit where I grip it). BUT within 8 hrs of play I have noticed a massive reduction in the pain after playing.

Cheung likes this.
  8. Jay Ng

Jay Ng Regular Member

I played over a year with tennis elbow pain using the AX77 3U G4/G5. Tried all the recommended methods such as changing tension, reducing grip size, rehab exercises, resting etc but nothing helped as much changing the racket.

Went to Nanoflare 700 4U G4 and tennis elbow gradually disappeared. Very hard to say how long it took, I was taking pain killers at the time and I was more focused on trying to get used to going from head heavy 3U to even balanced 4U! Even picking up shuttles wasn’t natural anymore and needed a bit of time to adjust

Best racket choice I’ve ever made, no more elbow pain, faster defensive and offensively just as powerful as before.

You can change and improve your technique to suit a new racket but you’ll struggle to get rid of the pain if you continue to play with the AX77. I was restringing a club member’s AX99 and it felt like a hammer to me, a couple of dry swings and I could feel twinges in my elbow

BadmintonDave and Cheung like this.
  9. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

It doesn't necessarily has to be linked to your racket, string or grip size.

Are you sure you are using a somewhat correct hitting technique? Most injuries are caused by wrong technique, including tennis elbow.

I often see lower level players at our club struggling with this problem, mostly because of wrong use of the wrist during strokes and having too tense of a grip.

If it is a technique related problem, changing rackets/grip size/strings (and string tension) may help but won't be ideal when it comes to long term injury prevention...