Digital pegboard - BaddersPegs

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Andrew Hopkins, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Andrew Hopkins

Andrew Hopkins New Member

I am curious to know how many clubs out there have adopted an electronic-based pegboard systems?

Our club (Ashtead Badminton Club) has just started using BaddersPegs, which was developed by one of our club members, and has just been released on the Google PlayStore and it is completely free (no subscriptions or other costs) and ad-free too. It was designed for our club, which is a non-competitive doubles only club (not-for-profit club) and the app was developed to support up to 4-courts and a maximum of 50 players - more than sufficient for our needs.

We are running the app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+, which has a 12.4" touchscreen, although it will happily work on smaller tablets or even phone sized screens, and so far, our members who are of varying ages from 18 - 70+ have taken well to it.

We wanted a digital pegboard that closely mimic'd the traditional analogue wooden pegboard which so many clubs widely use without having to worry about additional complexities such as having to rate players, worrying about tracking scoring, having complex business rules that does not provide flexibility of a traditional pegboard etc. A must for us was that it had to be incredibly easy to use using just simple drag and drop.

For our club, we found that the benefits of moving to an electronic pegboard were:

1. We no longer have to carry a heavy wooden board back and forth on club nights
    2. We can create legible pegs on-the-fly if we have visitors or new members join
    3. We can visually identify men and women via a blue or pink peg
    4. And surprisingly, we also found it has sped up the transition time between games as the game picker can quickly auto-pick the first 4 players waiting or randomly select a game from the next 6 pegs.

I would be interested to know what other people are using or if most clubs still like an analogue pegboard. I would also be interested in any feedback on BaddersPegs, and any enhancements we should make to it for the benefit of the wider badminton community. For reference, this app was developed using Unity, a 2D/3D gaming tool, and it can easily be compiled to Apple IOS or even a standard Windows PC, assuming there is demand for it in the badminton world!

Here's a link to it on the Google PlayStore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.NAW.BaddersPegs

2. Andrew Hopkins

I spent some time this weekend to create a short video showing BaddersPegs in action. I would love to hear from anyone if they think this app would work for their clubs and what (if any) changes you would love to see? It is best suited for a tablet sized device (ideally the bigger the better). Whilst BaddersPegs is currently only available for Andriod devices, if there is enough interest, I will try and talk the guy at our club into compiling it for Apple devices.

endFX and Woesi like this.
  3. Heidi212

Heidi212 New Member

Hi Andrew,

I’ve been looking around for a digital pegboard because we tend organise things on a whiteboard in our club which can be a bit of a faff. This app seems to be just what we need but it would be really handy if we could get it on the Apple app store, Microsoft store or even the Chrome web store so we could access it on an iPad or laptop as we don’t have an android tablet/phone.

Thanks,
    Heidi

4. Andrew Hopkins

Let me check with our developer to see if he is willing to compile it for some / all of the formats you've asked above.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This will stop sly manipulation of pegs. :)

6. Heidi212

Heidi212 New Member

Thanks Andrew, we’d love to give it a try. I don’t know how complicated it would be to do, but I can imagine in a club like ours (4 courts, sometimes up to 50 people), it would also be useful to have more than one ‘up next’ box to help organise more in advance since so many people are waiting to go on court.

7. Hickton

Hickton Regular Member

My club stopped using a peg-board. It's ridiculous. Boils my p!ss.

8. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Two of the clubs I play at use a pegboard system still.

One club is a League club and has up to 16 members turn up for 2 courts. Classic magnetic board with coloured names onto p touched magnets (I assume they are printed with a p touch machine).

The other club does things a bit differently. It has space for 4 courts and a waiting game and we have 20-30 members turn up each week. What is different is that people get their mugshot taken on a phone and then it gets printed off onto a magnet and says their name below it. It really helps people learn names and puts names to faces.

If you could somehow implement pictures onto the pegs, that might improve the app. I will download at some point and have a play with it.