Need new toys before the reincarnation of Panda

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by what07, Feb 20, 2022.

1. what07

what07 Regular Member

Short Summary: Looking for a slightly to headheavy 4U (maybe 5U if super headheavy), Yonex Stiff-extra stiff fast swinging racket so Aero-frame ish, none compact frame with all the latest goodies like slim shaft etc. Doubles play / Mixed only. Looking at Yonex or Victor only (sorry Li Ning for now)
    *read below if you want the full story*

Been really happy for the last decade+ using my panda power rackets but after seeing some of the new toys being used and the new tech :rolleyes:. Can't help but feel like its time to treat myself again and want to join the mainstream racket brands again. So the quest started with Yonex as their rackets are pretty easy for me to test or buy and resell if needed and I'm sort of familiar with the current lineup.

NF700 - too flexy
    NF800 3U/4U and LT - pretty good but I gave up after 1 session each due to the compact head shape
    88S pro - something throws me off about the 5mm shorter and handle length / shaft length?
    88D pro - Have rackets that I feel either match or better then this already so don't need another similar.
    100zz - Slightly slower 88S but more power, extra stiff isn't as stiff as I thought but overall my favorite beside maybe the new head design. Only had 2 sessions.

Think out of all those I would try the 100zz a few more times to give it a few more chances. So beside the Arc11pro with ETA unknown that eliminates everything from yonex that I should try?

Victor rackets which I am not too familiar to their product lineup and after reviewing the Victor threads just confuses me more, especially with some product info and specs not fully on the website. The only victor racket I owned was the bravesword 12 but thats close to NF700 flexy for me. I tried an Auraspeed project black and felt very good for the 1 session and adapted to it very easily and feels solid. Anything else I should try? Another auraspeed? Where does the thruster / drive X fit into all of this? Not interested in Jetspeed as most are compact frames?

Thx all

visor likes this.
  2. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

You'd probably like the Auraspeed 90K

what07 and NickifiedNg like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    88D pro is very good for doubles. What racquet do you think is better?

what07 and Budi like this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

no racket are better or worst than others.
    Just that we human love to over complicate thing:rolleyes: why makes it simple if you can makes it hard & challanging:p.

As for OP, try treat yourself Adidas Kalkul A5. Adidas had mention to stop their badminton department, so the one you see would be the last stock available. Would recommend you P8 but you dislike compact head, so well.... Maybe you want to look at it.

what07 likes this.
  5. what07

what07 Regular Member

Gonna have a swing between all the Auraspeeds sometime this week. So will see, I just wonder which Auraspeed the PB is base on. Or which other victor rackets I should consider. The Thurster F enhanced kinda caught my eye with that head shape.

Yes its very good, decently fast for the power. But I feel its lacking something in the shaft, almost like the one I played with was a bit too head heavy so I felt the whip wasn't as crisp as 100ZZ. The resemblance of the 88D pro is very similar to my 3U/4U panda's and slightly less solid feeling. To me the 100zz just slightly edges out the 88D pro in feel and with the added speed and stiffer shaft gives it a bit better feeling to me.

I may borrow the 100zz and 88D pro again as so far those are my only two contenders from Yonex atm.

Don't think I can get any Adidas rackets here beside ordering them, but if I don't like maybe difficult to offload as well.

Note: I always wanted to find an Aero frame like racket before Covid hit but the feel just felt dull and not solid, especially when I tried li-ning rackets about 2 years ago so thats why I'm not looking at any Li-ning as the newest series isn't available where I am yet and I tried the TurboCharging / 3d caliber.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

If considering the Arc 11 Pro, you're probably looking at the 3U.

I also have preference for such specs as yours. I have a few 88D, an 88D Pro, and a 3U Arc 11. Will seriously look at 3U Arc 11 Pro when it comes out.

Victor doesn't seem to have any rackets in this spec space. And I find their rackets specs vary too much in 1 model due to looser tolerances.

I used to use Panda rackets too. Out if curiosity, which one in your opinion is better than 88D/Pro?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#6 visor, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    what07 likes this.
  7. what07

what07 Regular Member

Yea I really like the Arc 11 or even the Arc 10 from yonex. So a 3U Arc 11pro is in the list to try for sure.

Good to note that Victor looser quality control on racket specs, maybe have to try some and weigh them to have a look.

Out of the Panda's that I have, my favorites are the Trinity Pro (300+BP 85-86g) and Ultra Pro (81-83g 300+bp). I felt they are equal or slightly better feeling then the 88D pro.

I'm gonna try another friends 88D pro later tonight. Not sure about stock levels but most shops here are pretty much OOS on pretty much everything. >.<

Cheung and visor like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Check if the 88D pro is 3U or 4U. I find they play differently.

what07 likes this.
  9. what07

what07 Regular Member

Played more this week then usual so maybe a bit more tired but I brought a kitchen scale with me just to see if everything weigh ok. Granted with different grips styles added +- 1-3g here and there.

100zz (that I been trying out) - 89g
    AS PB 4U - 87g
    88D pro (3 different ones all 4U G5) - 86g-91g
    88D pro (3U) - 93g

Think if I had the grip preference set to the 88D's they would all be around the same weight. The BP's are all over the place due to the weight of the handle so had a few timing issues at first. Overall the 100zz that I'm trialing feels pretty head heavy compared to the most head heavy 88D 4U.

Overall the 100ZZ for me feels slightly faster which is kinda what I'm looking for but I feel most comfortable and consistent smashes from the 88D. The AS PB is the fastest because of the frame and head weight and has a very very large forgiving sweetspot for me.

@Cheung your right about the 88D pro 3U it feels very solid and once I start the swing it feels very effortless to me. It actually feels good, solid and very smooth.

Cheung likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That’s quite detailed also measuring the weight itself.

@London_Player

You may want to factor in the weight category of the racquet when you come to choose.

11. what07

what07 Regular Member

Update

Need to try a 3U Arc11pro, most of the ones that are out there atm are 4U. Feels fast but the lack of oomph when I need it is not there. Pretty solid feeling and good shot placement compared to a NF700 tho.

Cheung and visor like this.
  12. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

I had the 77 for half a year and just bought the 88dp. I assure you once you get used to it, ur smashes and everything will feel a step ahead

what07 likes this.
  13. what07

what07 Regular Member

Decided on the AS-PB for now. Picked out 2 that felt the most headheavy and inbetween 4U/3U. Specs varied quite a bit in the 4U range. 3U models were pretty consistent at 88-89g unstrung but felt sluggish to me even with the frame profile and thin shaft. Surprisingly its quite stiff but felt whippy when smashing and clear so power from the shaft felt effortless. Felt I had really nice control around the net, more then usual.

Until I can borrow someone's Arc11pro 3U this will be my main racket for now. Retired 4 other rackets for now to the closet.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-18 at 4.37.38 PM.jpeg

BadmintonDave likes this.