Pain just above the elbow & triceps. Grip or Tension?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by gazelights, Jan 22, 2022.

1. gazelights

gazelights New Member

Hi all.

I've been experiencing some pain for quite some time now when I'm playing. Not really sure of the cause. Have ignored it for weeks but it's getting worse. Tried circling where it hurts:

For the past 2 sessions I've been experimenting if it's the racket or not. I've swapped between my Victor SW 35 and backup racket Voltric 5. When I play with the Voltric there's barely any pain at all.

Victor SW 35 is 3U G3 w/ original grip + overgrip - 27 lbs BG 80 Power
    Voltric 5 is 3U G4 w/ original grip + thicker victor fishbone grip - unknown, haven't used it for a while so probably around 22lbs BG 65 Titanium

I had the same fishbone grip on my Victor SW35 and it still hurt. Do you guys think it's the tension? or the grip size? I'd like to think my grip esp backhand is good so I don't think it's that.

2. gazelights

gazelights New Member

3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Are you using your arms for anything else? Lifting at gym, lifting at work, gardening etc?

Tension does seem to be the biggest difference between the racquets. Is there the same gap between your fingers when holding each racquet?

Are you exerting the same force with all the strokes with both racquets?

4. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

Without seeing you closely it's hard to determine but I will guess the common problems.
    1: string tension 2: racket (stiffness and grip) 3: technique (gripping the racket too hard all the time and hitting technique).
    Tension and racket are something you can quickly fix. Technique will take some time to change. Highly recommend to train with a coach for that.
    With the rackets you mentioned I don't think it's the stiffness so that can be ruled out. Start with a tension of 24-25 bg65 ti. G3 grip with original grip + over grip would be too thick for me. Grip is personal but there's room for experimentation there.
    This will take some time to heal and fix. In the meanwhile, you can try those bands that you put couple of inches below the elbow. It will help reduce all the force from hitting the elbow. Just Google tennis elbow bands.
    Good luck!