Precrime3's Review: Yonex Power Cushion Eclipsion Z (2021)

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by precrime3, Jul 11, 2021.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Just wanted to post this as its own thread, for better visibility for anyone that may have not seen what I posted in the main thread.

There had been a lot of questions regarding these pair of shoes and I had been wearing them since May, so I figured why not give these a review?

The TLDR is that these are comfy, and really grippy. The new sole redesign and more contact surface is very noticeable and I love how cushioned yet responsive they are (use custom orthotics for best results)

The video is here:

intrepid and Guilherme Fontoura like this.
  2. Guilherme Fontoura

Guilherme Fontoura New Member

I really want to buy the Eclipsion Z 2 (or 2021) wide, but do you know if this shoes have in size 13.5US or 14US?? thx!

precrime3 likes this.
  3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I do not - you’ll have to check a badminton stores availability

Guilherme Fontoura likes this.
  4. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

hi @precrime3

I understand that the yellow one is labeled as wide. I'd like to know if the difference in the width between the black and the yellow is noticeable? Or big difference?

Thanks.

precrime3 likes this.
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I'd say there's a difference but it's not like too big. What I mean is that I rotate my shoes everyday (so Monday I wear black, tuesday I wear yellow) and I notice no major difference that affects my playability. It's like black are snug and yellow fit well if that makes sense. I prefer the sizing of the black as I'm used to tight fitting shoes for sports play

Rommel Alastra likes this.
  6. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Got a cyber Monday bargain on these. Tried out today for first time.

A snug fit due to the inner sock. Stability and grip at a new level for yonex. Had total confidence when lunging and pushing back.

Just slightly heavier than the ZM2s but an irrelevant factor for amateur players.

Only issue so far was tightness around my big toes but maybe it's just part of the wearing in process or my oversized toes.

7. kyle618

kyle618 New Member

hows the sizing compared to lets say the comfort z/z2?

8. baronspill

I wear UK 10.5, feels identical.

9. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

I haven't used these for Badminton, but for table tennis I'm moving laterally quite a bit slower in these vs my 65 Z2's.

Maybe I need to wear them in more, but definitely feel like they might be an expensive paperweight...and I'll just end up buying a few 65Z3's when they are properly stocked.

10. baronspill

They can feel slightly more bulky than the Z2s but I find overall they are faster for badminton. My grip and stability are much better.

I think of it as two F1 cars, one on slicks the other in wets. In wet weather the latter is much faster.

11. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

I need to try it out specifically for badminton. I haven't played badminton in just over 13 months - I got a ligament injury so am taking a very graduated return [competitive table tennis seems to be at 100%, so will ease into badminton soon], so I will definitely make sure to amend any opinions if necessary in the next few weeks/months.

The good news is that the Z3's are still a wee while away. I should know by then whether I'm buying several Z3's, or Eclipsions or a mix.

edit:
    The Eclipsion Z2's are very good. I don't know if they have better performance than the 65Z2's, but they are great shoes. They feel very safe and the description you put is pretty apt with the F1 cars, from two sessions [of table tennis]. Very grippy, not too slow. Obviously, the tradeoffs for extra grip and cushioning/bulk exist, but they hopefully aren't too extreme.

For Table tennis at least, Z2's (--> Z3's) with aftermarket insoles will be more than enough. For badminton I can see wanting the extra safety/cushioning of the Eclipsions.

I don't know which ones I'll use, and there's a good chance I just take the best of both worlds and opt for the grip of the Ecl Z2's with the remaining shell of the Z2's, as that's what the Z3's are, but as I said earlier, the shipping delays mean I have plenty of time to make comparisons.

#11 Basquests, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  12. Thang Nghiem

Thang Nghiem Regular Member

Thanks for the review! I hope you have corrected your footwork at the back of the court for late shots (or any lateral feet movement). But in case you have not, you need to turn your foot out to the same direction that you are going, to prevent the foot rolling over. I learned this pretty late, after several devastating ankle rolls. Once this becomes a good habit, your chances of rolling ankles over will go down significantly.

13. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

If you are referring to me, my injury was not an ankle ligament injury, rather a ligament near the sesamoids [ball of foot].

It'll be 14 months at the end of Jan since I played badminton, but I'm back to competing in table tennis, so when a few tournaments for TT are over, I should be confident enough/not need to focus 100% of my sports on TT, and can resume badminton.

In an unrelated note, I just ordered 4 x Astrox 88S's [the older gen, green one] in order to prepare for that moment! I love that racquet since I tested it out in 2020, and its getting hard to find..I hope i don't encounter any new racquets I like, although they were rather discounted!

14. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

any videos to better understand? :) because i would really want to take note on this.

15. Thang Nghiem

Look at the OP's video at 8:15 where he rolled his ankle. He moved his right foot toward the back of the court in a manner that puts his right foot parallel to the back line of the court. This position is the weakest position to prevent a rollover of the ankle. In this case, his right foot should have been turned outward more, making a 45 degree angle with the back line. So essentially you want to create a straight line between your leg and your foot by opening your foot outward instead of inward. It is more comfortable/natural to turn the foot inward, so you would need to do some training to get this into a habit. Take a look at the attached picture and notice her right foot was turned outward. This eliminates the possibility of an ankle roll because the force from the bodyweight is no longer aligned with the rolling axis.

Attached Files:

16. Thang Nghiem

No, I was referring to OP's ankle roll at 8:15 in the video. He did not open his foot outward to prevent rolling.