Side Support Issues

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Jonno22, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

I seem to be running into an issue with my bottom left side support whilst stringing in that when I get about halfway up the crosses, I can see a gap between the frame and the support and I don't know what is causing this to happen?

It is always bottom left regardless of if if I switch the turntable around. Wasn't sure if it is a mounting issue or support placement etc

I string bottom up and typically follow the Yonex stringing pattern unless the racquet states starting the crosses on B8.

Any advice what I can do to stop this?

Thanks

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    without any details, we can only make guesses.

If you give us more info, what stringing machine, racket, string, tension, etc, then we can make better guesses. ;)

s_mair likes this.
  3. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

I use a Gamma X-Stringer ST, it is happening on all racquets I get, at any tension (+2lbs on crosses) but is more pronounced at a higher tension and with any string. I go bottom up when doing the crosses. I will try to post a picture of my set-up later.

This never used to happen and has only recently been occuring so I'm not sure what's caused it to start.

I am considering upgrading the standard supports with the Chudek ones if they are still available

kwun likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And it's always the 8 o'clock support, no matter in which orientation you mount the racket, did I get that correctly?

5. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

Yes that's right.

I always do 3 mains to the right first then 3 to the left before alternating after every pull with a double pull at B10 for the loop into B12 and back to B10.

I might see what difference reversing this and going to the left first makes.

s_mair likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    check the tightness of the 8 o'clock support.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    +2 on a Gamma base is probably a bit too much. try +1 and see if that helps, or at least make the gap smaller.

8. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

I'll check the tightness. I do them all finger tight, just enough so I don't have to apply pressure when turning to tighten

9. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

Will do, thanks

10. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

You can also try this new method that is getting a bit more popular.

Do not add extra on crosses at all but instead tighten lower supports by 2 mm more after you thought that the racket is tightened normally. You will need to retighten the 12 support a little but try not to re-tighten the upper supports much.

This method is developed to help keep the racket shape and avoid getting upper part of the frame squeezed and at the same time solves upper supports getting looser and the racket is not getting round when done correctly.

11. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

I have just finished stringing a racquet trying this and the amount it came away was certainly smaller & went back flush against the frame 2 crosses later which was sooner than previous. Obviously still not ideal as I don't want it coming away at all haha.

I'm about to string another and realised that on the rail the tensioner runs across, it has a bolt which limits how far down the rail it can go. I've moved the bolt out to see if having the tension head closer to the turntable when under tension will make a difference rather than being as far away as it can go. Fingers crossed!

12. Jonno22

Jonno22 Regular Member

Update:
    No gap between frame and grommet! This seemed to work, I have a couple more to do tomorrow so fingers crossed found the solution.

Think I'll try +2 crosses and releasing the bolt on the rail so the tension head stays closer to the turntable on one of my racquets, if that doesn't work I'll drop it back down to +1

kwun likes this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The extra for the crosses can be as much about compensating for "settling" of the 12/6 as for the other reasons :)

I always nudged the 6 after the first two mains, then the 12 after the next two (around half the movement), then carried on as normal - all the 12/6 slack was pretty much out after the first four mains.

14. stradrider

By "nudged" do you mean tightened? I am a little puzzled why would it be necessary? All the supports are in compression when you tighten mains, and especially 12 and 6 ones. What would be the reason to need for them to be "nudged"?

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Loadspreaders introduce some play, and there is some possibility of 12/6 angle "self-adjustment" and "tower lean", depending on the machine's build quality - the Eagnas/Pro's Pro 12/6 (the square ones) had a lot of up-down wiggle in their housings, for example

16. stradrider

Ah yes, that makes sense. On my gamma, load spreaders sit quite tight over the support column and badminton specific side supports work really nice - I don't think I ever saw any vertical wiggling.