Yonex Nanoflare 800 (End Aug 2019 release)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by esppy, Jul 13, 2019.

1. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Can someone please measure the head-weight and overall-weight of a strung NF800 (4U) vs NF800LT (5U).

2. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

just did for you ma man. 4u nf800 89gr and 40gr head; nf800lt 84gr and 38gr head. both strung with exbolt and same grip

endFX likes this.
  3. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Many thanks!

4. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

NF800 coming in the mail soon! Hopefully it brings back my love of headlight and Yonex racquets. :D

Shamwow likes this.
  5. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Review: Yonex Nanoflare 800, the racquet that made me love Yonex again

Background: I've been playing on and off since the early 2010s, and during that time I've owned and played with a couple of Yonex racquets. Of those, I've used the Armortec 900 Technique, Arcsaber 3FL, Arcsaber 11, Voltric Z-Force 2, Nanoray Z-Speed, Nanoray 100, Astrox 77, Astrox 100ZZ, and Astrox 100ZX. While I could acknowledge them all to be good (except for the NR100, that thing sucks), none of them were quite for me, and I would always either sell them off or relegate them to the bottom of the bag. While they performed well, I didn't enjoy the feel of them. There was always a slight dullness with each shot that I didn't enjoy.
    As such, I gravitated more towards the smaller brands such as Victor, JNICE, and Ashaway as they simply felt better in my hands during play. Just recently, however, drunk me made an impulse purchase of a Nanoflare 800 in 3U, and I must say that this thing has absolutely become my new favorite racquet for reasons I am about to get into.

Review: Nanoflare 800 3U with BG80 at 11.5kg/25lbs

PROS

Feel - This racquet feels SOLID and that slight dullness I've felt with previous Yonex racquets is not there at all. Every shot feels very natural and comfortable. A good drop feels like a good drop. A good smash feels like a good smash. I'd argue it has the best feeling out of all the current racquets I own, but I'd need to do more on-court testing to confirm. 9/10

Control - Control is crazy good, but hard to get used to at first. This racquet is very VERY fast thanks to it's ultra slim shaft and razor frame, and it took a good hour of missing shots to finally get used to it. Once I put in the work though, it was fantastic. Everything landed where I wanted it to with little effort thanks to it's amazing stability and balance. A note about the balance: while it's advertised as headlight, I would say it leans more towards the even balance side. 9/10

Power - Now this part surprised me. I've never gotten along with headlight and even balanced racquets due to the lack of power I could squeeze out of them, but the NF800 is a banger. Every smash felt and sounded like exploding rockets, and I was able to blast out more power with this than my previous main racquet (JNICE Black Panther). I'd attribute it to the increased speed and stiffness. Could I squeeze out more power with an Astrox 100ZZ? Yes, but the feel I get from smashing with the NF800 is much more satisfying and the amount I get is more than good enough for me. 8/10

CONS

Difficult (for some) - If you're like me who prefers and has mostly only used head heavy racquets, this thing can be tough to adjust. It took me about an hour, but your mileage may vary.

Thin as heck - That frame is THIIIINNN. While the racquet as whole feels very solid and sturdy, I can't help but feel a bit paranoid about the frame snapping. I've seen a handful of breakages reported online, so be aware of that. I'd assume you'd have a better time durability-wise if you go for the 3U version like I did instead of the 4U model.

Conclusion: I love this thing. It has surprised me in so many ways and has completely changed my opinion on Yonex and racquets that are anything other than headheavy, so much so that this is my new main. The thin frame does somewhat worry me, but so far the racquet has felt absolutely solid and high quality. If it were to break, I'd happily buy another. Thanks for taking the time to read my amateur review. If you have any questions or want me to go into an area I didn't discuss, feel free to ask in the comments. Thanks.

#525 John Xina, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Nuno G. and visor like this.
  6. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

In terms of the durability.

At where I work. We have a bin for broken rackets. And we just cleared it maybe October of last year. The new broken rackets till now. I've seen atleast 5 broken nanoflare 800 and 800lt, 1 astrox 88d and alot of broken apacs and victor rackets.

visor likes this.
  7. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

That comes to show that nanoflare 800 and the Victor jetspeed/auraspeed rackets probably have similar durabilities. Maybe because of the 'speed' frame concept

8. Rammler

Rammler New Member

Got my 4ug5 Racket yesterday. Very fast indeed. Smashes are okay. i am wondering if i should try the 3u version for more smash power. But imo the 4u smash quality was good enough.
    It seems like most people in this forum went for the 3u version. i am little bit worried if the 3u version is too heavy and slow compared to the 4u version.

9. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I had a 3U, liked the feel, but felt the racket was too heavy for me. Sold it and bought a 4U. Love it, fast and powerful

10. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Has this racquet caused any elbow pains in players?

I've been playing with a 5u G5 NF800lt for 3-5 months now and I am convinced this racquet is causing me elbow pain.

I was speaking to a good left hander player at a club night and he also experienced elbow pain with a 4u G5 nf800.

He also said he had shoulder pain caused by Astrox 100ZZ and that mirrored my experiences with the racquet too.

I went back to my Nanoray800 for my first league match of this season last night and I came away with almost no pain after playing 7 games with it. It could just be because I didn't have a lot of opportunities to smash, but I would still like to hear others' experiences.

11. Rammler

Rammler New Member

hmm, could be due to the light weight and grip-balance. you are swinging the racket faster and so maybe you are stressing your arm more? i am not sure, but a lot of people who complain about elbow pain had stiff, headlight rackets with high tension.