Loh Kean Yew / 骆建佑

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    12. Enjoyed riding a camel in Dubai
    [​IMG]Source

Right after Tokyo Olympics 2020 ended, Loh Kean Yew went on a month-long training stint in Dubai. As someone who knows how to work hard and play hard, Loh Kean Yew didn’t miss the chance to take a break from his 30 hours of weekly training. This included checking off some of his bucket list goals like riding a camel.

Also on Instagram, he shared photos of him with his friends having fun in the desert when they tried dune bashing and riding a quad bike.

13. He is IndoCafe Singapore’s ambassador
    [​IMG]Source

Look out for the face of Loh Kean Yew next time you pass by the supermarket aisles when you do your grocery shopping. As the ambassador of IndoCafe Singapore, you will find Loh Kean Yew appearing on the brand’s shelf in local stores.

[​IMG]Source

Since Loh Kean Yew spends a fair amount of time overseas for training and competitions, he is no stranger to homesickness. However thanks to IndoCafe Singapore, he can now pack some instant beverages like teh tarik to satisfy his cravings when he is overseas.

14. Sponsored by Li-Ning
    [​IMG]Source

As a badminton player with incredible potential, it is only expected for sports brands to sponsor Loh Kean Yew. As early as 2017, Loh Kean Yew has been receiving sports equipment and apparel from Li-Ning, a premier sports brand from China. While Li-Ning may not be commonly known among Singapore, perhaps more people will get to know the brand through Loh Kean Yew.

15. Played with the Danish badminton team for 3 months
    [​IMG]Source

One of the perks of representing Singapore as a national athlete is that you get to spend time overseas as part of the training. For Loh Kean Yew, he spent 3 months in Denmark playing with the Danish badminton team, Langhoj Badminton Club in 2018.

[​IMG]Source

According to an interview with The Straits Time, he mentioned that he was excited at the opportunity and hoped to become a better player through the training. It appeared that he did enjoy his stay there as he managed to play against and learn from various players, and even explored the beautiful country with them.

16. Went through an emotional slump
    [​IMG]Source

No one can be in a perfect state of mind 24/7, and the same goes for Loh Kean Yew.

Back in 2018, he shared through a post on Instagram that he wasn’t in a good form, “but life goes on” and hoped for the best. During that time, he participated in the Austrian Open 2018 and although he did not bring home any medals, it was a valuable lesson for him.

Fast forward to 2 years later in 2020, Loh Kean Yew shared an insightful post on Instagram on how he handles hiccups in life. Compared to his younger self, he now suggests to “slow down, take a step back, [and] take a break.” Through such actions, they show how much he has matured and also helps others to stay positive with his words.

These Loh Kean Yew Facts Show That He Is No Longer An Underdog
    Despite his young age, Loh Kean Yew has only been making Singapore proud with his consistent achievements as a badminton player. Apart from his serious side, we are glad to see that he also knows how to relax and have fun with his friends and family.

Hopefully in the near future, we will be able to watch him achieve even more in his sports career and for Singapore.

Cover: Source, source, source

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Loh Kean Yew to train with Axelsen again in Olympic medal push
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew was on a month's training stint with Viktor Axelsen after the Tokyo Olympics. PHOTO: AFP
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED

11 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - The one-month training stint with Denmark's world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen post-Tokyo 2020 has been widely credited as a huge factor in Singaporean Loh Kean Yew's rise to become world champion.

And the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) confirmed on Monday (Dec 20) that this winning formula is set to be repeated in January, as it plots his path towards winning a medal at Paris 2024.

Axelsen had approached Loh to train with him in early 2020, around the time when he had pushed the Dane to three games at the Spain Masters' round of 32. But the plan was put on ice after the one-year postponement of the Olympics due to the coronavirus pandemic, before materialising in August.

SBA technical director Martin Andrew told The Straits Times: "Kean Yew will travel to train with Viktor and others in Dubai prior to the tournaments in India in January, and he may also return to Dubai after those events for another couple of weeks."

Other than further improving on his game play with such high-level sparring at the Nad Al Sheba Sports Complex, the Englishman hopes Loh can emulate Axelsen's gold standard of consistency in terms of shot-making and tournament performances.

Statistics from the Badminton World Federation show that prior to losing to Loh in the first round of the World Championships, 27-year-old Axelsen won 61 out of 66 matches and clinched seven titles this year.

In comparison, Loh won 23 out of 30 matches and picked up three titles in his most prolific year to date.

Andrew said: "Kean Yew's shot consistency has improved significantly, and we want him to play with less errors while maintaining the risk level.

"He has also managed to be consistent in terms of tournament performances at a high level recently, but it's been quite short term and we have to expect and manage some peaks and troughs with that.

"Viktor has had a great run through 2021, and (Kento) Momota had this previously through 2019 (when he won a record 11 titles). Kean Yew should be aiming to maintain his level as much as possible, but he is now playing at the top tier of world-class tournaments, so the challenge is greater."

Other targets the SBA has set for the 24-year-old include winning medals at next year's SEA Games (May 12-23) and July 28-Aug 8 Commonwealth Games, as well as making a strong push at the Sept 10-25 Asian Games, while continuing to climb the world rankings.

The SBA will also work with the Singapore Sport Institute on biomechanics and match tagging to understand more about his strengths and weaknesses, and enhance psychological support to help Loh cope with the demands of touring at a high level.

World No. 22 Loh is expected to rise to 15th in the new rankings on Tuesday, and Andrew said: "Kean Yew has got to aim to get into the top 10 in the world next year and maintain that position throughout to ensure advantageous seeding at tournaments.

"To do so, he must maintain his physical condition, which he has done well so far. We will also work with him on analysing opponents and developing game plans against them, as well as keeping a focus on his mentality so he can be tough in challenging situations."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Badminton: Watch out, world champion Loh Kean Yew is 'just getting started'
    Nothing should be left to chance in helping Loh Kean Yew to achieve Olympic glory

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Loh Kean Yew to train with Axelsen again in Olympic medal push

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew was on a month's training stint with Viktor Axelsen after the Tokyo Olympics. PHOTO: AFP
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED

11 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - The one-month training stint with Denmark's world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen post-Tokyo 2020 has been widely credited as a huge factor in Singaporean Loh Kean Yew's rise to become world champion.

And the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) confirmed on Monday (Dec 20) that this winning formula is set to be repeated in January, as it plots his path towards winning a medal at Paris 2024.

Axelsen had approached Loh to train with him in early 2020, around the time when he had pushed the Dane to three games at the Spain Masters' round of 32. But the plan was put on ice after the one-year postponement of the Olympics due to the coronavirus pandemic, before materialising in August.

SBA technical director Martin Andrew told The Straits Times: "Kean Yew will travel to train with Viktor and others in Dubai prior to the tournaments in India in January, and he may also return to Dubai after those events for another couple of weeks."

Other than further improving on his game play with such high-level sparring at the Nad Al Sheba Sports Complex, the Englishman hopes Loh can emulate Axelsen's gold standard of consistency in terms of shot-making and tournament performances.

Statistics from the Badminton World Federation show that prior to losing to Loh in the first round of the World Championships, 27-year-old Axelsen won 61 out of 66 matches and clinched seven titles this year.

In comparison, Loh won 23 out of 30 matches and picked up three titles in his most prolific year to date.

Andrew said: "Kean Yew's shot consistency has improved significantly, and we want him to play with less errors while maintaining the risk level.

"He has also managed to be consistent in terms of tournament performances at a high level recently, but it's been quite short term and we have to expect and manage some peaks and troughs with that.

"Viktor has had a great run through 2021, and (Kento) Momota had this previously through 2019 (when he won a record 11 titles). Kean Yew should be aiming to maintain his level as much as possible, but he is now playing at the top tier of world-class tournaments, so the challenge is greater."

Other targets the SBA has set for the 24-year-old include winning medals at next year's SEA Games (May 12-23) and July 28-Aug 8 Commonwealth Games, as well as making a strong push at the Sept 10-25 Asian Games, while continuing to climb the world rankings.

The SBA will also work with the Singapore Sport Institute on biomechanics and match tagging to understand more about his strengths and weaknesses, and enhance psychological support to help Loh cope with the demands of touring at a high level.

World No. 22 Loh is expected to rise to 15th in the new rankings on Tuesday, and Andrew said: "Kean Yew has got to aim to get into the top 10 in the world next year and maintain that position throughout to ensure advantageous seeding at tournaments.

"To do so, he must maintain his physical condition, which he has done well so far. We will also work with him on analysing opponents and developing game plans against them, as well as keeping a focus on his mentality so he can be tough in challenging situations."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Nothing should be left to chance in helping Loh Kean Yew to achieve Olympic glory

#1818Loh, A moment ago

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    duplicate

#44 Loh, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew is expected to rise to world No. 15 on Dec 21. PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED

DEC 20, 2021, 7:18 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Hours after he was crowned badminton world champion, Loh Kean Yew found himself upgraded to a business class seat for his return flight from Huelva, Spain, to Singapore.

But instead of revelling in his new title and the perks that accompanied it, the 24-year-old thought of his team. Instinctively he asked if national singles coach Kelvin Ho and physiotherapist Ho Jiaying could be upgraded too.

The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) had brought forward his flight by a day to Monday (Dec 20) so he could get treatment for his injured ankle, and after his request to SBA, all three flew on business class.

"My support team also deserves support," Loh told The Straits Times matter of factly. "Behind the scenes, my coach has been helping me with the strategies and admin work, and after the semi-final, when I couldn't walk, the physio worked on my foot from 10.30pm to 1.30am just so I could walk the next day."

And Loh did not just walk on Sunday.

He flew about the court chasing every shuttle, and his relentless, aggressive approach helped him beat India's world No. 14 Kidambi Srikanth 21-15, 22-20 in the World Championships final.

His Instagram bio now reads "2021 Badminton World Champion" and he is expected to rise to world No. 15 on Tuesday, but Loh insisted many things will remain the same.

These include his character, hunger, work ethic, goals and just the joy he derives from the sport he picked up when he was five as his family played badminton in front of their Penang terraced house, using the gate as a net.

He added: "Yes, I won the world championships, but there's still a long way to go and I'm just getting started. There's still so much I can improve on and so many things I still want to achieve.

"This world title gives me that extra motivation and belief to know that I'm on the right track and I will continue to work hard to try and achieve more success, including a medal at the next Olympics."

This will not be his first life-changing moment, as Loh looks back at the decision to follow in his third brother Kean Hean's footsteps to enrol at the Singapore Sports School in 2010, which eventually led to him receiving Singapore citizenship five years later.

Laughing, he said: "I was angry at that time because my friends were all in Malaysia. But my mother already bought the ticket, so what to do?

"But in Singapore, I had good opportunities to study and play on an international stage. Along the way, so many people from SBA, Sport Singapore, Singapore Sport Institute and many others supported and took good care of me, and I wouldn't be what I am today without all their help."

ST Singaporean of the Year nominee: Loh Kean Yew goes from underdog to badminton world champ

There was an unexpected benefactor along his journey to the top.

Loh's first taste of improbable success came in 2009 when he beat Lee Zii Jia to win Malaysia's National Junior Grand Prix Under-12 final. He then stunned two-time Olympic champion and five-time world champion Lin Dan in the 2019 Thailand Masters final.

But the coronavirus pandemic struck at the end of that year, affecting his preparations for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics, where he narrowly lost to Indonesia's world No. 8 Jonatan Christie and missed out on the knockout stage.

The eventual champion, Denmark's world No. 1 Viktor Axelsen, then invited him to join his training camp in Dubai for a month in August-September. It was another watershed moment.

Loh said: "I learnt from the best. I experienced the intensity at which he trained, I saw how focused and consistent he was, and I tried to apply this to my own game. I also saw gaps in my game and tried to fix them.

"After that, I was up and down, screwed up a few times, won the Dutch Open and Hylo Open but got knocked out early at the Denmark and French Opens and the Indonesia Masters. But I kept going, kept trying to be better than the day before, and never gave up."

#29Loh, A moment ago

#45 Loh, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Guys :

Any of you know what model of shoe is Kean Yew wearing , i am keen to buy .

upload_2021-12-21_13-42-35.png

7. Kowalski

Kowalski Regular Member

Looks like Lining Gyrfalcon 3, PV Sindu also wearing similar model.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's first badminton world champion hails 'dream come true'
    Issued on: 20/12/2021 - 08:08Modified: 20/12/2021 - 08:06

upload_2021-12-21_15-50-17.gif
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew celebrates beating India's Srikanth Kidambi during the men's singles final badminton match of the BWF World Championships in Huelva, on December 19, 2021. JOSE JORDAN AFP

Singapore (AFP) – Loh Kean Yew was celebrating a "dream come true" Monday after becoming the first Singaporean to win a badminton world championship, despite carrying an ankle injury.

The 22nd-ranked Loh stunned India's world number 14 Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in the men's singles final to clinch the BWF World Championship in Huelva on Sunday night.

It capped a stunning run at the tournament in Spain, which saw the 24-year-old Loh beat Olympic champion and world number one Viktor Axelsen of Denmark as well as world number three and fellow Dane Anders Antonsen.

He won despite spraining his right ankle in the quarter-final. He was in such pain after his semi-final match Saturday that he needed to use a wheelchair.

But he told Singapore's Straits Times newspaper that he decided to "push through the pain and go all out in the final, and coped with ice and some treatment, and it paid off".

"This feels like a dream, and now it's a dream come true. I grew up watching Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei playing such big finals and now I'm here as the world champion. It's unbelievable," he said.

Loh, unseeded in the tournament, started off badly in the final, slipping 9-3 down in the first set. But he bounced back strongly, levelling at 12-12 and going on to win.

Kidambi fought back in the second set and notched up an 18-16 lead but Loh hung on, winning on his third match point.

"I still have a long way to go to be where I want to be," said Loh in the Straits Times.

"I will continue to work hard to be even better as I chase my dream of winning an Olympic medal for Singapore."

There was great excitement at Loh's win in tiny Singapore, which has produced only a handful of world-class athletes.

"Well done, Kean Yew!" Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong posted on Facebook.

"You do Singapore proud. Looking forward to your next success!"

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh overcomes ankle injury to become Singapore’s first badminton world champ
    Reuters / 12:54 PM December 20, 2021

[​IMG]
    FILE PHOTO: Tokyo 2020 Olympics – Badminton – Men’s Singles – Group Stage – MFS – Musashino Forest Sport Plaza, Tokyo, Japan – July 28, 2021. Loh Kean Yew of Singapore reacts during the match against Jonatan Christie of Indonesia. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

Loh Kean Yew became Singapore’s first badminton world champion with a 21-15 22-20 win over India’s Kidambi Srikanth in Huelva, Spain on Sunday, playing through the pain of an ankle injury that left him in a wheelchair just a day earlier.

Loh, 24, hurt his right ankle in his quarterfinal win over India’s H.S. Prannoy on Friday and aggravated the injury in his semifinal win over Dane Anders Antonsen the following day.

Barely able to walk due to the pain, Loh had to use a wheelchair to get around.

(I like this young man because he has not forgotten that his coach and his physiotherapist helped him recover and succeed. When given a business class ticket to fly home by SBA, he requested the same for his coach and physiotherapist. A terrific, pleasant and humble character who smiles most of the time. Keep it up, LKY!)

“I thought I was finished because it hurt like hell, and I couldn’t walk,” Loh told The Straits Times. “But I told myself to push through the pain and go all out in the final, and coped with ice and some treatment, and it paid off.”

Loh, who climbed to number 10 in the world, had to battle back from 9-3 down in the opening game before going on to seal the win and join an elite club.

Only players from China, Indonesia, Denmark and Japan had won the men’s title since the inaugural competition in 1977.

“I grew up watching Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei playing such big finals and now I’m here as world champion. It’s unbelievable,” Loh said.

“I’m honoured to deliver this first gold for Singapore. I know many have been staying up to follow my progress and I want to thank everyone for their support and for being a huge motivation.”

Japan’s Akane Yamaguchi beat world number one Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan to win the women’s world title, while compatriots Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi took the men’s doubles crown.

China’s Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan won the women’s doubles title while Thailand’s Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai were the mixed doubles champions.

Read more: https://sports.inquirer.net/445223/...-first-badminton-world-champion#ixzz7FfO4b8LW
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Five things to know about Singapore's new badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew returns a shot to India's Kidambi Srikanth during their men's badminton singles final match at the BWF World Championships in Huelva, Spain, on Dec 19, 2021. (Photo: AP/Manu Fernandez)

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    20 Dec 2021 08:04AM(Updated: 20 Dec 2021 11:11AM)
    SINGAPORE: Local badminton player Loh Kean Yew made history on Sunday (Dec 19) by becoming the first Singaporean to win a BWF World Championships title.

The world No 22 beat India’s Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in the men’s singles final in Huelva, Spain to cap off a stunning run which saw him knock out several top names en route to the crown.

Here's what you should know about the newly minted men's singles world champion:

1. A giant-killer

Loh shot to prominence when he beat badminton superstar Lin Dan at the 2019 Thailand Open final and has since shown a penchant for giant-killings.

In the last two months, he has beaten world No 1 Axelsen (World Championships), world No 2 Kento Momota (Indonesia Open), world No 3 Anders Antonsen (World Championships) and world No 4 Chou Tien Chen (Hylo Open).

Outside the world's top five, he has also beaten world No 10 Rasmus Gemke twice (Hylo Open and Indonesia Open) and world No 7 Lee Zii Jia (French and Hylo Open).

Loh's World Championships win comes on the back of a scintillating run of form since the Tokyo Olympics in July.

Prior to this historic win, Loh finished second at the Indonesia Open, won the Hylo Open in Germany and the Yonex Dutch Open in the Netherlands.

2. Training stint with Axelsen

In September, Loh was in Dubai on a month-long training stint with Axelsen and four other players – Englishman Toby Penty, Canadian Brian Yang, Swede Felix Burestedt and India’s Sen Lakshya.

“It’s always good to have overseas training opportunities to see how other people from other countries train and learn from each other – like different playing styles, different playing methods ... This is a very good opportunity, so I didn’t want to miss this,” Loh told CNA in an earlier interview.

“Furthermore, he (Axelsen) is an Olympic champion ... like how many times can you train with an Olympic champion?"

Related:
    [​IMG]
    'I didn't want to miss this': Singapore's Loh Kean Yew on training with Olympic badminton champ Axelsen
    After his Hylo Open win, Loh said that training with the Dane had helped to sharpen his defensive skills.

“When you play with Axelsen, you’ll need to work on your defence. His attacks are so strong that if you want to play with him, you’ve got to take his attacks," he said.

3. Born in Malaysia, but spent much of his life in Singapore

The 24-year-old was born in Penang, Malaysia. His love for the sport began at the age of four when Loh would use the gate outside his home as a net for playing badminton.

At 13, Loh received a scholarship in Singapore. Along with his elder brother Kean Hean, who also represented Singapore, Loh would become a citizen several years later.

"It wasn't easy making the decision as I would be away from my parents, but for our education and career, coming to Singapore was necessary," said Loh previously.

"I have no regrets coming here, becoming a Singaporean and serving National Service. I have spent many years here and I feel like a Singaporean. And I’m proud to wear the Singapore flag on my chest."

Related:
    [​IMG]
    From fanboy to beating the favourite: Singapore's badminton sensation is just getting started

4. Overcoming inconsistency

Loh said on a number of occasions that he hopes to be more consistent in his performances.

“This is only one tournament, it is important to do this every tournament,” Loh said after his Hylo Open win.

“To be consistent means to perform at every match to a certain level,” he said.

“It’s like a bowler trying to hit a strike every time – they have trained so many years to do so. It’s only at that point of time how they think and all that affects their play ... It is mostly mental.”

5. Paris 2024 on his mind

At this year's Olympic Games, Loh was one of Singapore's flag bearers. He performed admirably, winning two of his three group-stage games.

Related:
    [​IMG]
    Badminton: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew falls to Indonesia's Christie in thriller, eliminated from Olympics

However, an agonising three-game loss to Indonesia's Jonatan Christie ended his participation.

Speaking to the media following his exit, Loh said that he would like a shot at another Games."That's another goal of mine. This time I didn't get a medal, so hopefully (in) the next one," he said.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ‘I’m just glad to be back’: Badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew arrives at Changi Airport
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew poses with his medal at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    21 Dec 2021 06:25PM(Updated: 21 Dec 2021 09:40PM)
    SINGAPORE: Newly crowned BWF men’s singles world champion Loh Kean Yew has returned home, arriving at Changi Airport on Tuesday (Dec 21) afternoon.

Along with national singles coach Kelvin Ho and physiotherapist Ho Jia Ying, Loh’s flight touched down at Terminal 1 at about 4pm.

There was no public reception for Loh due to COVID-19 safe management measures at the airport.

However, his KLM flight was given a water salute on arrival, similar to the one 2016 Olympics swimming gold medalist Joseph Schooling had received upon his arrival in Changi.

[​IMG]
    A crowd of bystanders gather to witness Loh Kean Yew's arrival at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew waves to local media at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Low Kean Yew hugs Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Edwin Tong at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew is received at Changi Airport by Singapore Badminton Association President Lawrence Leow and Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Edwin Tong on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long) (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew waves to media and bystanders at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew waves to media and bystanders at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew poses with his medal at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew poses with national singles coach Kelvin Ho and physiotherapist Ho Jia Ying at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew poses for a picture with Singapore Badminton Association President Lawrence Leow (left) and Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Edwin Tong (right) on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After clearing his polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, Loh and his team emerged to cheers and applause close to two hours later, waving to the media and bystanders.

He was received by Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) President Lawrence Leow and Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Edwin Tong.

“I'm just glad to be back,” said Loh, who posed with his medal before heading for a press conference.

Related:

[​IMG]

From 'cheeky' child to world champion: Loh Kean Yew's parents proud of their youngest son's meteoric rise

[​IMG]

Five things to know about Singapore's new badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew

The 24-year-old sealed his place in the history books on Sunday by becoming the first Singaporean to win a BWF World Championships title.

Loh beat India’s Kidambi Srikanth 21-15, 22-20 in the men’s singles final in Huelva, Spain to cap off a fairytale run.

Based on the latest BWF rankings, Loh has risen to 15th in the world.

"A NEW BEGINNING"
    Speaking to the media later in the day, Loh said that the result was "a new beginning" but there remains room for improvement.

"I am now the world champion but I still think there's still a long way to go, there's still many things I have to improve on compared to those top players like Viktor (Axelsen) and Kento (Momota)," he said.

"Their shots are much more consistent and there's a lot more that I need to work on - like court fitness, mental (strength), how they handle all the pressure."

Loh pointed out that a "different mindset" will be needed from here on, something he will learn as he plays in more tournaments.

"I've been the underdog but now I am going to be one of those that people want to beat ... very badly ... It's very different from how I played all along, it's going to be a different mindset so it's going to be a very big challenge for me."

He also singled out his coach Kelvin Ho for particular praise.

"I have a lot of people supporting me throughout my whole career so I am very thankful ... especially coach Kelvin. He has been helping me (for) ten years ... (through) every up and down," shared Loh.

"Without Kelvin here, I wouldn't have won this medal for sure. And of course, hopefully we can continue to work on this together until Paris 2024."

THE NEXT STEP
    During his time back home, Loh said that he would be taking a break from badminton and spending time with his family.

"After that, I will continue my training with Viktor in Dubai and play a few competitions," he said.

Singapore Badminton Association president Lawrence Leow described the occasion as a "truly historic and happy" one.

"This year I think Christmas has come early, this is made possible by this man (Loh) here," added Mr Leow.

The BWF World Championships does not come with an accompanying cash prize and there are no local monetary incentives for winning a medal there. But Mr Leow said that there are plans to get more sponsors on board.

"For our players, I think the monetary award is actually important, because a player's lifespan is pretty limited. And so for SBA, we are definitely planning to do something, in terms of how to get enough sponsorships, donations to help Kean Yew and also the association," he said.

"We have started some work already and there will be some announcement in due course."

Source: CNA/nh(zl

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Water salute, warm welcome home for champ Loh Kean Yew

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew enjoyed a water salute when his flight arrived at Changi Airport. PHOTOS: GAVIN FOO, LOH KEAN YEW/INSTAGRAM
    David Lee and Deepanraj Ganesan
    Dec 21, 2021 07:59 pm
      • Badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew received a hero's welcome upon his homecoming as he enjoyed a water salute when his KL 833 flight arrived at Changi Airport Terminal 1 at around 4pm on Tuesday (Dec 21).

"I'm just glad to be back," said Loh as he acknowledged a group of 20 people who had gathered and applauded his return.

The 24-year-old Singaporean delivered a surprise gold at the Badminton World Federation World Championships on Sunday when he beat India's Kidambi Srikanth 21-15, 22-20 in the men's singles final in Huelva, Spain, despite nursing an ankle injury.

Returning with national singles coach Kelvin Ho and physiotherapist Ho Jia Ying, he also celebrated his climb to a career-high world No. 15 in the latest rankings released on Tuesday.

National swimmer Joseph Schooling had received a similar reception when he returned from the Rio 2016 Olympics with the nation's first Olympic gold medal after winning the men's 100m butterfly final.

Due to Covid-19 safe management measures, there was no public reception for the shuttler.

[​IMG]
    TEAM SINGAPORE
    Loh Kean Yew to train with Axelsen again in Olympic medal push

But a group of eagle-eyed onlookers and fans at Changi Airport managed to catch a glimpse of Singapore's world champion on Tuesday.

Denise, 26, who wanted to be known only by her first name, was running errands when she saw the media gathering and "sensed that someone important was arriving".

She said: "I suspected it could be Kean Yew and then realised it was definitely him because he posted on Instagram that he had landed. So I waited to see if I could catch a glimpse of him.

"He's done us all proud. Seeing the way he celebrated his win was especially moving. He's set an example for children to follow. I'm sure people of all ages who know of his achievement will feel very inspired."

After clearing a polymerase chain reaction swab test, Loh was welcomed home by Mr Edwin Tong, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, as well as Singapore Badminton Association officials – president Lawrence Leow, chief executive officer Alan Ow, technical director Martin Andrew and other management committee members.

He then attended a press conference at the Changi Experience Studio in Jewel.

With the exception of a four-day spell at home from Dec 4 to 7, Loh has been on the road since August to train and compete.

He had a one-month training stint with Denmark's world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen and four other top-60 players in Dubai across August and September, before he flew to Paris to train with the France national team.

In the two months that followed, he captured the Dutch Open and Hylo Open in Germany and finished second in the Indonesia Open, before claiming his historic world title.

In the process, he scalped six of the current top 10 players - Axelsen, Japan's Kento Momota (second), Denmark's Anders Antonsen (third), Chinese Taipei's Chou Tien-chen (fourth), Malaysia's Lee Zii Jia (seventh), and Kidambi (10th).

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    10 things to know about Singapore ace Loh Kean Yew

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew, 24, has enjoyed an incredible rise in recent months. PHOTO: LOH KEAN YEW/INSTAGRAM
    Dec 20, 2021 04:31 pm
    • National badminton player Loh Kean Yew, 24, has enjoyed an incredible rise in recent months.
    In November, he captured the biggest title of his career after his opponent, Malaysia's world No. 8 Lee Zii Jia, retired from the US$320,000 (S$432,000) Hylo Open in Germany, a BWF World Tour Super 500 event.

He then made it to the Super 1000 Indonesia Open final later that month and lost in three games to Axelsen.

Following his exploits, Loh's ranking soared to 20th for the first time. He is now 22nd.

1. TWO TITLES SINCE JULY
    In the four European tournaments he has taken part in since the Olympics in July, he has captured two titles, including Sunday's win at the Hylo Open.

The first was at the US$15,000 (S$20,250) Oct 13-17 Dutch Open, where he upset India's world No. 21 Lakshya Sen, the top seed and defending champion, 21-12, 21-16 in the final.

[​IMG]
    TEAM SINGAPORE
    Water salute, warm welcome home for champ Loh Kean Yew
    Dec 21, 2021

Related Stories
    S'pore's Loh Kean Yew to train with Axelsen again in Olympic medal push
    World champion Loh Kean Yew is 'just getting started'
    Loh Kean Yew goes from underdog to badminton world champ

But Sunday's win is a far greater achievement, his first triumph at the Badminton World Federation World Tour Super 500 level, the fourth tier on the sport's professional circuit.

2. MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT CAME IN 2019
    Loh's most memorable achievement came in 2019 when, as an unheralded qualifier, he sensationally defeated Chinese great Lin Dan to claim the US$150,000 Princess Sirivannavari Thailand Masters in Bangkok.

The Chinese, who retired in 2020 at the age of 37, is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the sport. He is a two-time Olympic champion and five-time world champion.

3. HE WAS BORN IN MALAYSIA
    Loh was born on June 26, 1997, in Penang, Malaysia, and is the youngest of four sons. His parents are still living in Penang.

4. OLDER BROTHER ALSO PLAYS BADMINTON
    His older brother Kean Hean, who also represents Singapore on the badminton circuit and is a doubles specialist, had arrived in Singapore in 2009, enrolling at Montfort Secondary School.

5. KEAN YEW ARRIVED IN S'PORE IN 2010
    Kean Yew arrived a year later at age 13 after receiving a scholarship from the Singapore Sports School. He was not thrilled about the transition initially.

"When the time came for me to move here, I was angry because my friends were all in Malaysia. But my mother already bought the ticket to send me here, so what to do?," he told The Straits Times.

"So slowly, I started to make friends and adapt to life here."

6. BADMINTON AS A PROFESSION
    He quit his studies at Republic Polytechnic to pursue a professional career in badminton.

7. HONOURED TO WEAR THE SINGAPORE FLAG
    He and Kean Hean later became Singapore citizens, with Kean Yew saying: "I have had no regrets. After spending so many years training and developing in Singapore, I made many new friends and was ready to be a Singapore citizen, serve national service and represent this country.

"I am honoured to wear the Singapore flag on my chest."

But NS was not without its challenges and he noted that "sometimes my 'feel' will be gone'". Kean Hean later revealed that Kean Yew would rush to extra night training sessions after booking out from the army camp to train when he could.

8. FIVE SEA GAMES MEDALS
    He owns five SEA Games medals. One individual silver from the 2019 edition, where he lost the final to Malaysia's Lee, and four bronzes: individual (2015), team (2015, 2017, 2019).

9. HARD WORK IS NON-NEGOTIABLE
    In Loh's book, hard work is non-negotiable. He trains six days or 30 hours a week, with double sessions on four days which include court, gym sessions and runs. During competitions, he also devotes time analysing opponents, trying to find weaknesses to exploit.

He explained: "There are players in the top 10 who don't have much talent but are there because they have discipline, grit and consistency; there are other more talented players who are not there for various reasons. There are too many good players out there regardless of their rankings and I cannot be complacent."

10. SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS
    His Instagram followers almost doubled to more than 110,000 after his win in Germany and he has over 5,600 on Facebook.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Kelvin Ho, the 'big brother' coach always in Loh Kean Yew's corner

[​IMG]
    National shuttler Loh Kean Yew (left) and his coach Kelvin Ho at the BWF World Championships, in Huelva, Spain, on Dec 19, 2021. PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee

Sports Correspondent
    Dec 22, 2021 04:45 pm
    The pivotal point of Loh Kean Yew's ascent to a world champion came, not during the this month's tournament, but in the second round of October's French Open.

There, in Paris, Loh had pulled off a first-round upset of All England Champion Lee Zii Jia but then lost to Indian Lakshya Sen, a player he had beaten in the Dutch Open final.

National singles coach Kelvin Ho said: "It was not the first time Kean Yew had let comments on social media or his own expectations get to him.

"In 2019, he also beat Hong Kong's second seed Angus Ng and then lost in the second round to Japan's Koki Watanabe.

"I told him his mentality wasn't right - you may think you are there, but you are not there yet. Don't get ahead of yourself and think what the final result should be, and forget about your processes and routines which you should focus on.

"He could have not listened, but he took it onboard. The next week he won the Hylo Open in Germany, and now he is a world champion."

By his side, in his corner and even sometimes sharing the same bed, the 31-year-old Ho has been ever-present in Loh’s career over the past decade. But their telepathic partnership almost did not happen.

Ho was a national player himself, but unlike Loh, he was a "super late bloomer" who played volleyball in primary school but disliked it.

Badminton was a casual dalliance until he was 13 when he made it his co-curricular activity at Ang Mo Kio Secondary School. He received proper coaching for the first time and soon became the school's top singles player and beat combined schools and Singapore Sports School opponents.

"I enjoyed the feeling of being good at something, of winning and improving. I loved badminton so much, I didn't want to do anything else," Ho told The Straits Times.

So, like Loh, he quit school at 17 to pursue his passion full-time after being scouted by the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) and went on to make the bronze-winning 2009 SEA Games team.

But things quickly fell apart. In 2011, the SBA disbanded its National Team 2, leaving Ho hurt and lost. He said: "I was going to complete National Service then and looking forward to try and continue my playing career and that happened.

"I was angry and disappointed. I felt I had made sacrifices and was so excited to train harder and go further after NS. I woke up as usual the following day to prepare for 8am training and then realised I'm no longer a national player."

Ho thought of giving up on badminton but his dislike for books meant that he returned to school as a coach instead. Nine months later, the SBA offered an olive branch in the form of a youth coach position.

"I was already a coach by then and was more at peace so my mentality also changed from a player to someone who wants to help the team, and I was excited by this opportunity," he said.

That was when he first encountered a "raw but talented" Loh, when the Sports School the teenager attended had combined sessions with the national youth teams.

Ho was gradually promoted to national assistant coach before his current appointment, displaying the same never-say-die attitude as when he persevered through six attempts to pass his basic sports science module to secure his coaching credentials.

His secondment with the Sports School was beneficial, as he learnt from its badminton academy's former head coach Bai Lihua and general manager Desmond Tan on how to manage a team, plan training programmes, analyse players and monitor their progression.

He said: "I used to be nicer and less direct with players because I didn't want to demoralise them. But I realised I need to be more direct if I want to help players improve faster. And I will listen to their feedback so we can discuss and come up with a solution that fits."

"I also learnt from national chief coach Mulyo (Handoyo), who focuses more on shot quality, shuttle pace and placement, and doesn't over-complicate things because he knows the sport is ever-changing and there is no one-size-fits-all solution."

There have been online clips of Ho pounding his chest while coaching Loh at the Tokyo Olympics, and he repeated the action in the World Championships final, earning him the nickname 'Gorilla' among his friends.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew with his coach Kelvin Ho, during the Singles Group Play Stage at the Musashino Forest Sport Plaza during the Tokyo Olympics on July 26, 2021.PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
    The father of one said with a laugh: "On the court, Kean Yew will always look at me for feedback after every point. At crucial points, I would thump my chest to urge him to be brave and not be over-excited or scared.

"Players have habits and they have blind spots, so coaches are there to point these out to them when there is a need to change direction or pace. And his quickness to absorb and adapt such impromptu instructions have improved a lot in the past few months."

The bond between athlete and coach is evident. Outside of competitions, the duo bond over hotpot and durians. At overseas events when the hotels run out of twin sharing rooms, they also share the bed.

Loh, who is the youngest of four brothers, said: "He has become like an older brother. We are very close, he knows want I think and I cannot lie to him, so whatever I feel I will just tell him.

"Like in the French Open, he knew I was going to be affected and told me to be careful. I didn't listen to him and I messed up, but I learnt from that.

"He has been a tremendous help. When I was in NS, he trained me when I had nights out on his own time. And he made a lot of sacrifices not just for me, but also other players. It's just how he passionate he is as a coach, which not many people see.

"Without Kelvin here, I wouldn't have become world champion. Hopefully, we can continue to work together until Paris 2024."

hyun007 and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    'He had that spark': Mentor, badminton association on what made Loh Kean Yew a world champ

[​IMG]Desmond Tan
    Loh Kean Yew pictured in 2010 at the age of 13 with Singapore Sports School Badminton Academy general manager Desmond Tan. Loh was crowned men's badminton world champion on Dec 19, 2021.
    • Loh Kean Yew became the first Singaporean to win the Badminton World Championship men's singles title on Dec 19
    • Scouted at a young age, Loh did not have it easy at first, as he was homesick and unfamiliar with Singapore
    • He had since gained confidence with support from the Badminton Association, coaches and the Singapore Sports School
    • But it is his passion for the sport and unwavering desire to succeed that pushed him to the top, his former general manager said
    [​IMG]
    BY
    JUSTIN ONG
    @JustinOngTODAY
    Published December 20, 2021
    Updated December 21, 2021
    WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn

SINGAPORE — When Loh Kean Yew first visited Singapore in 2007 to help his older brother in a trial to enter the Badminton Academy of the Singapore Sports School, it took only 10 minutes for the academy’s general manager Desmond Tan to notice the younger sibling.

“That short warm-up session with his older brother actually caught my eye,” he said. “It was obvious that he has innate talent in badminton… he had that spark.”

Loh had not gone for the trial himself, being only 10 years old at that time and not yet eligible to enter the Singapore Sports School. He had accompanied his brother Kean Hean, then aged 12 and now also a national shuttler, merely to help him warm up.

When Loh himself returned to Singapore Sports School for his own trial two years later in 2009 at the age of 12, he was “outstanding” during the trials and was immediately accepted into the programme, Mr Tan recounted.

Mr Tan — who was Loh’s manager when he was at the school, while Loh had his own coach —remembered that Loh did not enjoy his time at the school at first.

The boy then had come to Singapore from Penang in Malaysia where his family still lives and he was putting up at the accommodation in the school while his parents remained in George Town.

"He was quite homesick and he didn’t have many friends and family with him," Mr Tan said. "It can get very lonely, especially for the foreign students, and he kept to himself a lot."

However, Loh "exhibited a lot of grit and remained very grounded" and was eventually able to bond with his teammates, who in turn "helped him to immerse into the school and academy culture".

THE PREPARATION BEHIND THE SCENES

Fast forward 12 years, and Loh, now aged 24 and a Singapore citizen, became the first Singaporean to win the Badminton World Championship men's singles title on Sunday (Dec 19).

The world number 22 beat India’s Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in the men’s singles final in Huelva, Spain to cap off a fairytale run.

Unseeded in the tournament, Loh stunned the likes of world number one Viktor Axelsen and world number three Anders Antonsen en route to taking the crown.

What might seem to some people as an unexpectedly strong showing really came after years of preparation and support, for which Loh had expressed his gratitude.

He wrote in a social media post on Monday about his victory: “Singapore Badminton Association, Singapore Sports Institute, (sports brand) Li-ning, my coaches, teammates and training partners, physios and the sports medicine and science team, my family, friends and supporters — thank you for believing in me and for being there for me.”

On Monday evening Singapore time, Loh was on a flight back from Spain to Singapore with his national singles coach Kelvin Ho.

Mr Ho, 31, represented Singapore at the Southeast Asian Games in 2009.

Responding to queries from TODAY, Mr Martin Andrew, technical director at the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA), said that Loh has been receiving good support in various areas of sports science and sports medicine.

For instance, SBA has been using biomechanics with match tagging — where a timeline of all the events important in a match is created — to help players and coaches learn more about a player’s styles and areas for development and to have a greater level of analysis of opponents.

“This isn’t just for this tournament,” Mr Andrew said. “The support has been in place for a while and fully embraced by Kean Yew… (He) embraces the challenges set and thrives on delivering, especially when people don’t expect it.”

Justin L likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After his successful trial, Loh moved to Singapore and enrolled into the Badminton Academy at the Singapore Sports School's four-year programme in 2010 at the age of 13, under a scholarship offered by the school.

This arrangement helped him to train more regularly than those in the mainstream school system.

The academy was started alongside the Singapore Sports School when it was opened in 2004, and it allowed student-athletes to train twice a day while managing their academic life, instead of the usual once-a-day routine at mainstream schools.

Mr Tan from the Singapore Sports School said: “Why we want to train two sessions (a day) is because we want to keep pace with our counterparts in Southeast Asia. We are in a race where we want to be world beaters, and if the best in the region are doing this, we also have to follow… this is what it takes.”

After Loh graduated from the Singapore Sports School, he enrolled into Republic Polytechnic but left after his first year to pursue badminton professionally. He completed his National Service from 2016 to 2018.

He had notably defeated former top seed Lin Dan in 2019 during the finals of the Princess Sirivannavari Thailand Masters in Bangkok, and won the Hylo Open title in Germany this year before his victory at the world championships.

Mr Tan said that despite Loh’s meteoric rise and achievements, there are still improvements that can be made to the badminton programme at the Singapore Sports School.

For instance, there are constantly new findings in sports science that the academy can tap, and more can be done in helping athletes transit out of the school and into the national team.

“I don’t think we have reached the peak although we have a world champion,” Mr Tan said.

“We cannot rest on our laurels at this point in time… we need to continue to work with SBA, with sports scientists and the coaches as well and see how we can fine-tune the programme to continue this journey.”

NEVER CONTENTED, ALWAYS IMPROVING

Notwithstanding the support he had received, Loh himself had the innate desire to succeed, something that surpassed mere talent, Mr Tan said.

For instance, when coaches gave him feedback on a certain technique or aspect of his game, Loh would “go the extra mile” to work on it.

“At every training session, he will remember the words of the coach… after the training session he will put in that 10 to 15 minutes more just to focus on the (weak) area,” he said.

“He not only asks for feedback, but he puts it into action, and that is his strength.”

It did not hurt either that Loh was “always happy” when he was playing badminton.

“He really loves badminton and it puts a smile on his face,” Mr Tan said. “It is such a delight when he comes for training.”

His positive energy and motivation for the sport eventually rubbed off on his teammates as well.

“After training, everybody is so tired, but he still needs someone to (spar with him) to improve,” he said.

“And because he does this, the other teammates are looking at him, and they will also try to follow in his footsteps… he pushes the whole team.”

Mr Tan recalled an instance when Loh was about to compete with Chinese two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan in 2019.

Even in the midst of that pressure, Loh took the time to send a motivational text message to Mr Tan, which he asked to be shared with the national badminton youth squad.

“He was trying to instil belief in the national (youth) players that Singapore can do it and we can be world beaters,” he said. “He not only wants to motivate himself, but he wants to bring positive energy to everybody.

His message carried more weight after that, Mr Tan added, because Loh went on to defeat the Chinese great.

THE MOMENT HE WON

Few were happier than Mr Tan, who mentored Loh after he had graduated from the Singapore Sports School, when the young champion crouched on the ground on Sunday with his hands on his head in disbelief after realising that he had won the championship.

“I cannot describe the feeling, it was like jubilation, relief, it’s really everything,” Mr Tan said. “When he won, it was as if I won the match as well.”

Mr Andrew from SBA said: “Kean Yew has done Singapore very proud by winning the World Championships and the association is incredibly proud of his win, too.

“It wasn't expected, but over the recent weeks, Kean Yew had been performing at a high level, gaining wins over all of the top four in the world... and beating so many players ranked above him.”

As for what the future holds, Mr Andrew said that Loh will be travelling with world number one Axelsen and other training partners to Dubai before playing badminton tournaments in India in January.

He will later return to Singapore to prepare for more international events in March.

“After that, we are looking at where the plans are and will be working out what opportunities there are for additional training opportunities while maintaining Singapore as the base and continuing to develop his physical and mental areas,” Mr Andrew said.

Loh also aims to do his best at the three major games in 2022: The Southeast Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and Asian Games.

“He was already targeting medals and top performances in these championships,” Mr Andrew added.

“He will now be challenged as a marked man by the top players, who will be doing even more homework on him, so we will work to stay in front of the game.”

As to how Loh’s victory will have an impact on badminton here, Mr Tan said it is “affirmation” that Singapore Sports School's badminton programme is on “the right track” to enable athletes to compete with the best in the world.

“We want teenagers and badminton talents to step forward and have the belief that not only Kean Yew can do it, but they can do it, and the system allows them to be world beaters.”

He really loves badminton and it puts a smile on his face. It is such a delight when he comes for training.

Loh Kean Yew's former manager Desmond Tan

#57 Loh, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Justin L likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    DECEMBER 22, 2021

'A long way to go' despite world champion crown, says Loh Kean Yew
    Published December 22, 2021
    Updated December 22, 2021
    WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
    [​IMG]Raj Nadarajan/TODAY

Singapore badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew arriving at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021.

Despite being the first Singaporean to win the Badminton World Federation's World Championships men's singles title, national shuttler Loh Kean Yew said that he has not arrived yet and still has “a long way to go”, especially now that he is no longer the underdog.

“There are still many things that I need to improve on," the 24-year-old said in response to TODAY's question at a press conference on Tuesday (Dec 21) at Changi Airport, on whether he felt that he had reached his goals yet with his latest win.

"Compared to those top players like Viktor (Axelsen), Kento (Momota) and all, their shots are much more consistent and there’s still a lot more that I need to work on like my confidence and how to handle all the pressure.”

“This is just a new beginning for me because I’ve been the underdog, but now I’m going to be one of those whom people want to beat very badly," he told reporters on Tuesday.

[​IMG]
    Badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew flanked by his physiotherapist Ho Jia Ying (left) and coach Kelvin Ho.

The shuttler arrived in Singapore at Changi Airport’s Terminal 1 a little after 4pm from a connecting flight from Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Accompanying him were national singles coach Kelvin Ho and physiotherapist Ho Jia Ying.

Justin L likes this.
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A 'brother' and a coach: Kelvin Ho on his bond with Loh Kean Yew, and how social media blackout helped title win
    [​IMG]AFP
    Loh Kean Yew at the men's singles final badminton match of the Badminton World Federation's World Championships in Spain on Dec 19, 2021, after nursing an ankle injury.

• The night before championship finals in Spain on Dec 19, Loh Kean Yew had an injury scare
    • They had to rope in a doctor from Singapore by video call to give advice
    • His coach Kelvin Ho recounted the pressure Loh faced in the tournament
    • He also detailed several changes Loh made to his training plan that led to his rise in the game, including a social media blackout
    • The medium-term plan is to get Loh to be in the top 10 in the world within the next one to two years, he said
    [​IMG]
    BY
    JUSTIN ONG
    @JustinOngTODAY
    Published December 24, 2021
    Updated December 24, 2021

SINGAPORE — After winning the semi-finals at the Badminton World Federation's World Championships last Saturday (Dec 18), national shuttler Loh Kean Yew was up until 1am so that his physiotherapist could nurse his injured ankle.

Mr Kelvin Ho, Loh's coach of 10 years, told TODAY that the player injured his ankle in the quarter-finals of the tournament in Huelva, Spain, and had struggled with it heading into the finals last weekend.

He also said that the viral image of the 24-year-old athlete being led by wheelchair back to his room was taken right after the semi-finals, when Loh beat against Anders Antonsen, who is ranked third in the world.

The final was due to be played the next afternoon, in less than 24 hours.

"He couldn't walk and had to be wheeled to his room," the 31-year-old coach said.

[​IMG]Social media
    A photo of Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew who was injured after his semi-final match at the Badminton World Federation's World Championships. It went viral on social media.
    Mr Ho himself was a former national player for badminton and is now the national singles coach. He was with Loh at the tournament, cheering him on and coaching him on the sidelines.

READ ALSO
    Mediacorp to air encore of Loh Kean Yew’s historic badminton world championship win on Dec 25

After a late-night treatment by physiotherapist Ho Jiaying, the condition of Loh's ankle improved the next morning and he was given the green light by a doctor in Singapore over a video call to continue with the tournament.

"Our thinking was that if his ankle became better, we still have to ‘chiong’ (a Hokkien term meaning to go all out)... it's the world championships final (after all)," Mr Ho said. "Giving up definitely wasn't an option unless he couldn't walk, but if he can still move in the court, we should give our best."

And give his best he did, as Loh became the first Singaporean to win the men’s singles title in the championships, when he beat India’s Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in last Sunday's final.

GREATEST PRESSURE WAS NOT AT THE FINALS

Loh's determination to fight on against the odds was nothing new and is characteristic of him, Mr Ho said, echoing what those close to Loh had said before.

When he first started coaching Loh at the end of 2011, Mr Ho could already see that the player would "go the extra mile when it comes to training". Loh had also always believed that he could be among the world's best.

READ ALSO
    'A long way to go' despite world champion crown, says Loh Kean Yew

The final could have made even the best feel pressured to perform, but Loh and his coach treated it like any other match because he had nothing to lose. He was ranked 22nd in the world and went into the tournament unseeded.

Mr Ho said: "I think the most pressure (was felt) during the quarter-finals, because everybody had been saying that if we go to the semi-finals, it would be history-making."

Loh was the first Singaporean to advance beyond the quarter-finals of the world championships, bettering Ronald Susilo's feat in 2007, where he lost at that stage.

Before the final, player and coach went through the same routine of analysing the opponent's style of play by watching game footage.

"We analysed his game to see how we could capitalise... maybe we would put more pressure on Srikanth, because during pressure moments, he will make some unforced errors as well."