best singles player?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by legendarycroc, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Denmark bmt*fan

Denmark bmt*fan Regular Member

I support Peter Gade!!!:D :D :D

Although i think Kenneth Jonassen is quite good also...love the way he controls the shuttle...its like milimeters from being out but it never goes out ...:) :) :)

but i still think Peter Gade is the best:cool:

2. McJonas

McJonas Regular Member

Gade is great and will allways be a great champion, but if you look at the way that Kenneth has become better and better with age and if I may say so, I think that with a little luck he could have beaten Taufik in the WC, but that just the way it goes some time.

But Gade is still fantastic to watch....sutch a perfect flow on the court...

3. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I personally like Hendrawan, Yang yang, and Zhao. I like Hendrawan for his net play and motivation. Yang Yang for his consistency and making the right choice. And Zhao for dominating ANY player when he plays his best. He makes everyone else look like a joke. Unfortunately, when hes off, hes WAAAY off.:crying:

4. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

If we are talking abouut best ever, I don't know how anyone could not say Zhao Jianhua. At his best, he is quite astonishing. Anyone who has seen him destroying Joko Suprianto in the 1990 All England final will know what I'm talking about.

5. rudytjip

rudytjip Regular Member

I AGREE 100%! Taufik today, Rudy for all time! (hey I wasn't named Rudy for nothing...)

6. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    it's really depend what your definition of the "best" in term of record winning ?

but for style of play, technique, power, I like Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark.
    I really enjoy watch him play, his back shot, backhand smash, net play, smash..very powerful.

He took taufik out in the first set so fast, 15-3.

7. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    taufik is a living legend, now

his consistancy has produced olympic gold, wc gold i bet denmark players can't do that.... kenneth is nothing to compare with taufik..

8. stucken

stucken Regular Member

For me it's taufik. Although Lin dan is top ranked for a long time already. I really think Taufik has superior skills to the rest of the field. I never have seen somebody so talented and a beautiful style of play every stroke seems so natural and not trained. And although he maybe not have the hardest smash his placement makes it the most effective smash as you can see how many smash winners he had against kenneth. Furthermore his netplay and flat play are one of the best. And well his backhand he can make every shot with his backhand just stunning.And last his footwork, if you see him play it looks like he doens't move that much. That's a sign of great footwork Only his mental strength is sometimes questionable but at the tournaments that he want's to win he is always there. And for lin dan he is the most consistent player at the grand prix tournaments and moves very fast over the court especially when he moves overhead to play the straight smash and has incredible retrieving skills, but his netplay is poor and backhand also. The reason he loses a match is mostly because he get's outplayed at the net. He almost lost to Gade at WC2005 because of that. For Kenneth I really like his mental strength

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

if he was consistent he would be higher in the rankings, like Gade and Jonassen

10. just_me

just_me Regular Member

I totaly agree with you fast3r. It seems that ZJH is unbeatable when he plays like that. And everybody knows that JS is one of the best play.

11. taufik-ist

it administrator
    because taufik follows tournaments not as many as kenneth and gede do

just look kenneth won many 2 or 3 stars tournaments which hold most at europe and kenneth is superior there :). that's why although he seldom wins 5 or 6 stars tournaments his rangking is higher than taufik which wins less tournaments and taufik won't play at europe (2 or 3 stars tournaments)

head to head, taufik vs kenneth is 3 - 0

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    best singles at the moment.

Fik's the man. Great footwork and wristwork. Good strategist as well, especially against johansson. I tot taufik lost...:D
    Already a living legend now with his achievements.... hopefully he can continue to win more games and let others inspired to be better than him. This will be good for badminton...:rolleyes:

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    does anyone know why not?

14. indo_gal

indo_gal Regular Member

student duh~
    maybe he only wants to play in those big tournaments... hmm.. :)

15. taufik-ist

it administrator

becos kenneth understands, in order to become # 1 player, he must follow as many as tournaments, specially 2,3, or 4 * tournaments. he will get may points there than in 5 or 6 * tournaments.

16. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

I think 6* and 7* tournaments should be given a lot more weighting than it gets today...the fact that Taufik is #6 just shows how inadequate the ranking system is..

17. indo_gal

indo_gal Regular Member

student duh~
    hmm... taufik din really care that much about being no 1 or not??? is it???

#57 indo_gal, Sep 3, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  18. rudytjip

rudytjip Regular Member

I don't think Indonesian players really have much say about which tournaments they go to. PBSI decides, and they usually send junior or up & coming players needing international experience to the 2* and 3* tournaments.

At the WC, I had a chance to talk to Mulyo Handoyo (Taufik's coach) and asked why Indonesia didn't send any players for women's singles and doubles. (The only female player in the team was Lilyana Natsir for mixed).
    Mulyo answered that PBSI thinks it's a waste of money to send women players to the WC since they're likely to lose in the early rounds, and PBSI would send them only to 2* or 3* tournaments where they would have a chance of winning or at least go deep in the tournament.

So I think this is why Taufik doesn't go to the smaller tournaments just to rack up points... not entirely his choice to make. PBSI views the smaller tournaments as facility to develop new and younger players.

19. indo_gal

indo_gal Regular Member

student duh~

hmm... i c... the female player are sure to be dissapointed...

20. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Regular Member

The best singles player out there at the moment is DAN LIN !! Why else is he ranked No. 1 ! with the most points !! 7000 points clear of kenneth !!

He is also the most consistent player out there ! so he deserves to be No 1 as well !!

Sure he had a bad finals at the WC against taufik but he had better oppenents coming into the finals like beating peter gade in the semi's.