doubles or singles whats your favourite??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by molid, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Doubles is quite fun and I really love it. The best part is when I get a partner around my skill level or higher and we can do really well against other pairs since I'm more of the defensive player in doubles.

It also gives you time to rest while you're in the game which gives you more energy during it.

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    rest the body, but not the mind.:)

3. ataru13

ataru13 Regular Member

Men's doubles forever!!!

Specially if I'm playing with my doubles partner, Fran.
    It's just so easy and fun to play with him (maybe that's why we're the champions in Madrid.......hehehe).

But doubles has always been my favourite. It's faster, stronger, there are less empty spaces,......... just thrilling.

4. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    definitely singles. Doubles i dont even get tired.:confused:. Also i love playing control and massive amounts of trick shots. Easier to do in singles. :)

5. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    Doubles! :D

I do not have the stamina for singles. Most of the people here play doubles anyway, so singles play is mostly ignored.

If i dont have much time to burn and am looking for a good workout, then singles would be the answer... but i'd have to find an opponent that would be the same level or it would be no fun at all.

:)

6. pommyg

pommyg Regular Member

I can play doubles for 3 hours and feel ok afterwards. after 90 mins of singles, i am @@@@ed!:eek:

Pommy

7. mattb

mattb New Member

Student
    Doubles is definately better. Its faster and requires you to be more consistant and trick shots feel soo much better when you out-play two opponents instead of one. Once you get to know your partner, you can create plays that look briliant and you get a great ruch when they work.

8. legendarycroc

legendarycroc Regular Member

school
    singles... it tests your own abilities alot more...

9. blahblah

blahblah Regular Member

singles. I hate it when u lose and u feel like its your fault. Also when ur partner isnt the same skilll level as u, if theyre better than u ur mistakes r "highlighted" more and if ur partner is worse , u have to do ALL the work (or they r the cause of the other team gaining points).

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I think that for a sense of personal acheivement, nothing says you’ve gotten better than winning in singles.

But, to be fair, you can still get that feeling in doubles if your partner is as serious as you are. I find that I enjoy doubles more because it allows me to apply more tactics. Strangely enough, people say doubles is ‘faster’ but I say it’s slower—my current skillset for techniques is such that when I play singles against people who are better than me, that may mean that they’ll simply put the bird where I am not. I know they’re going to do it, mind you, it’s just that some times I have no way of preventing it given my current skill level.

In doubles, however (assuming I have a partner that I can work with) I consider the game ‘slower’ because the point turnover is not so drastic—you don’t lose points so much to simply aiming where there’s holes, but rather, you lose points if your opponent applied strategies to break up your formation then score. Thus, though the return of shots is faster, i’d say that the game is overal ‘slower’ mainly because deffense is also stronger.

So, I’m a doubles fan on most days, but every now and then when my ego needs to confirm itself, i’ll play singles, though i’m actually comparitively terrible at it—just don’t have the stamina! If I had better physique and sharper accuracy though I would probably like singles better-- as everyone mentioned, the sense of personal acheivement is really something.

11. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I like playing singles, all the pressure is on me, and I can't blame others if I lose the game. And best of all, I don't let my partner down, cuz I have none! More exercise, and if you get the birdie past the player, you don't have to worry about another backing him up.

12. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

doubles. hint: see my name. I'm accustom to play double all the time due to court availability. a lot of ppl with only 3 courts most of the time (there is additional 2 courts but the lighting, net and measurement sucks) so, it's better fof the ppl waiting to get court time if all ppl play double. I'm half decent on single altough after 1/2 of the game I would lost concentration and focus the my shots start to get inconsistence, espc if I'm behind:crying:

13. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    tbh i prefer both.Singles as im in control of what im doing but most doubles games at my club is competitive and good.

14. Togey

Togey Regular Member

doubles - compensates my incredibly poor footwork and backhand (doubles = more time for overhead :))

also my tactics are a lot better with doubles then singles.

15. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Singles. shows one's superiority over the other. Including the fundamentals of tactics,footwork,placement and psychological.

16. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

I'm the speed type. I think I went for doubles when I saw the best players in the gym I went to play. I told myself "I want to play doubles like THAT!"

Well, it's about a 10-year pilgrimage...

I think it's also because I got sick of slow, weak, stupid games in high school. None of us knew how to play then...

As for singles, well, I practice martial arts. I keep my sparring Taekwon-Do-like. That's one hell of a 1-on-1 sport...

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    When i want to have a good run and sweat, i do go for singles. I do love playing singles. On the other hand , i like playing doubles as well. It help me to be a better team player and at the same time make me learn on how to adjust on the court with my different partners. Its fun playing with a partner as well.

No favourites.. just Badminton.