cab explosion.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    3-4% more speed than what, an Iso? Well which cabs and isos are you comparing? It's not as if we're comparing 2 racquets here.

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The exact difference is of course tricky to figure out, as there are so many other factors apart from the shape of the head that is part of the equation, but 15% speed increase by changing to oval seems totally unrealistic.

If that was the case, It would be hard to explain why none of the current speed records are held by a cab-type racket.

/twobeer

#122 twobeer, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The only way to figure out whether headshape is the only factor is to get one of those racquets that come in both iso and oval. Such as the High end Carltons. Until then, there's no point in trying to argue.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    And of course also to test speed, not only trust how hard it "feels" :D

/Twobeer

5. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager

Exactly what i was poking at, 15% is completely unrealistic.

6. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Read guys. This is what cooler said about not reading. And I'm not going to expand on his argument since I have no knowledge of it.

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I read it.. but to me "15% effort" is kind of "Fuzzy", form a scientific standpoint.. What's the unit of "effort" ???

/Twobeer

8. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    but if the person only needs to apply 85% the effort to maintain the speed that a 100% effort hit on an iso, then that would also mean that the cab still hits atleast 10% harder, which seems unreal still

9. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    This is a classic case of 'analysis paralysis', but here's my own two cents. I use both iso and ovals and I switch between these two from time to time. I must say that I also feel the 'punchiness' of the oval racket that kwun & co. claim to exist and it's it's not a measly 2%-3% difference.
    There are obviously advantages and disadvantages between ovals and iso's. There's no better way to find out which between the two would suite you best except to try both of them. However, if you rely solely on advertisements, you will be convinced that iso's are superior because there's hardly any ovals being advertised.
    I have a business background so I believe I can make an informed opinion regarding the commercial aspect of this topic. It is but logical for manufacturers like yonex to continuously introduce new models and claim that these new models are superior to the older ones even though the supposed upgrades are very slight and sometimes insignificant. Case in point: the AT700 with the new color scheme.

10. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Perhaps I'm 20 years late for reading this great thread...
    :)

After changing around 8 rackets for the past 10 years (and a 5 years hiatus of badminton), finally I've found the racket that suits me the most: the Cab20 Tour Special (Red), 2UG5, with the old serial code format.

For me it's the perfect combination of the weight and the balance of the racket, thus making a variety of shots and defence possible.
    Although the sweet spot is smaller, I think it's the most satisfying feel when I can hit the shuttle correctly!
    And now I've bought several (tons of) them, so I don't need to wander around testing around new rackets for the next 10-20 years hopefully... or maybe I can inherit it to my kids later.
    :p

So now I'm even more motivated for more exercise in badminton, and ultimately keeping my body in a good shape! (when I have a general medical test lab last year, the result was not good at all and the doctor warn me to always have a routine exercise/sport)

Thank you BC forum!

ubootsg and Cheung like this.
  11. ozshuttler

ozshuttler Regular Member

I know what you mean about the Oval frames, I recently got a New-Old-Stock Cab21 Special, that I cant wait for the local lockdown to finish up and let us play again, as like you I'm returning to the game after many years away from it, (over 10 in my case). I just wish Yonex still made a higher level Carbonex as the Cab-8000 models appear to the the top of the line right now.

I'm still looking to try and get a 2nd Cab-21 special, but seems the only way i can get 1 get 1 to Australia is to order from Japan via Amazon. Seems there is absolutely nothing locally.

ojayz likes this.
  12. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    Yes I assume a lot of folks in BC forum love carbonex for its nostalgic feeling.
    :D

For the cab8000, it's an OK oval racket for a backup for me because I own one (Cab8000N, white, 3UG5).
    But I think the "Made in Japan" cabs are much more favorable to me and to a lot of people as well... I think Yonex only sell the new generation of Cab20 only on the Japan website (and it's too expensive for me!).

But if you really want to find Cab21 special, several online shop still sell them in Indonesia (tokopedia, shopee, etc.). You can try google it!
    ;)

13. ozshuttler

ozshuttler Regular Member

Thanks Ojayz, I will see what I might be able to find