Most overrated player according to you

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 12, 2021.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I wouldn't say any of the WS elites as overrated
    The competition in WS starting from 2015 is CRAZYYYYYYY

2. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

How come the better didnt win the match , I acknowledge TTY skills , she got better skill than CYF , but in my opinion CYF is better player than TTY in that final match . Its make sense the best who is the one who win the match.

3. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

I am agree with you . The top10 in WS are capable to beat each other of them . But in my opinion out of top10 ,these player should be given more attention as they really step out their game to the next level.

1) Tai Tzu ying
    2) Chen Yufei
    3) Akane Yamaguchi
    4) Carolina Marin ( lets see CM current level after long hiatus at World Championship soon )
    5) Pusarla VS
    6) An Seyoung

4. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

irc, it is on LYD's inactive youtbe channel, b-connect...some korean words

5. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

I will add one overrated player - LI XUERUI

This player is so OVERRATED in my opinion to the extent where I go as far to say this player singlehandedly brought an end of the Chinese Women Singles' domination era.

Let's start with her emergence -

1) She came out of nowhere in the 2011 by winning small tournaments

2) She came to prominence in 2012 by beating Wang Yihan in an All England final.

Since then, she started accumulating points enough to put her in the fourth ranked position. What comes next is the controversial decision by Li YongBo and CBA to choose Li Xuerui to participate in Olympics 2012 instead of Wang Shixian. The reason is because Li Xuerui had a better head to head record against non-Chinese opponents or Wang Shixian's head to head record was very poor. It depends on your point of view.

She eventually won the Olympic Gold medal but I will not consider her winning as fairytale victory. Why ?

1) She was not one of the favourites tipped to win. She chosen more like a backup player JUST IN CASE Wang Xin and Wang Yihan got eliminated by surprise. The other two Chinese players were actually the favourites to win. On that note, the pressure was not on her at all.

2) She DID NOT face any strong top ranked non-Chinese opponents. She beat Marin who was young , inexperienced and a nobody in the group stage. She then beat Tai Tzu Ying who was also another young player without any big tournament experience and Yip Pui Yin. The latter was not a top ranked adversary with all due respect but she turned out to be one giving Li Xuerui a hard time on court.

3) Semifinal and Final she faced both her compatriots. Anything can happen in this kind of game and players tend not to play to their true potential without coach instruction.

So in a way she won the Olympic Gold through backdoor because she was given the ticket to participate (even though in ethnically, she should not be there !) , her compatriots did all the hard work eliminating the harder opponents and she benefitted from the all China matches.

Since Olympic 2012, China has been complacent and too arrogant to assume they got most of their departments covered but trusting Li Xuerui to be their main rep in WS is a worst sign to come.

Li Xuerui not only win any major tournaments since then, by her losing consecutively it gives other non-Chinese opponents a real boost of confidence to take on Chinese players and it's a start of their downfall.

nokh88 likes this.
  6. Yeung Chao

Tian Qing is another overrated player.
    She piggyback on the success of other player(s). There's nothing special about her game.

In the Olympic 2012 where all gold medals were swept by the Chinese team, Tian Qing is the one that does not deserve that gold medal judging by her skillset. Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli deserve better if it wasn't for the match fixing scandal.

nokh88 likes this.
  7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I wasn't following badminton back in '12, but this looks like a similar to CYF's that we are seeing right now.

WhiteStringJunkie and nokh88 like this.
  8. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

how?

chen y slowly comes to the top, not out of nowhere
    2012 china ws were at the top, and near the top were some other chinese. Li x's biggest opponents are all from her country. 3 olympic slots for china. #1 #2 were wang y and wang x. Wang s ranked #3 but they chose li x who ranked #4

obviously nothing like chen y's case, no one had to sacrifice for her. She's not back up plan, she's number 1 and far above number 2 he b. I don't think no would be harder work for chen y than he b in sf. The hardest one of the tournament is tai and chen y solve it herself

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Part 1

Part 2

It seems the video doesn't work here.
    Go and search Lee yong Dae's dinner with jojo.
    There are two parts

10. Yeung Chao

Li Xuerui won the Olympics via backdoor. Technically speaking she did not really prove herself and her opponents were "easy". She failed to justify her position.

Chen Yufei did not use any backdoor and her opponents are tough. She hold her ground well against opponents who are better than her. She has to prove this in Paris.

nokh88 likes this.
  11. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Let me clarify what I meant, CYF deservedly won OG, all I was comparing was how quickly CYF raise to prominence in just one year, she used to be nervous one losing finals.