Shin Splits and Pain in Shins

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Mansoor Ahmed Zia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Mansoor Ahmed Zia

Mansoor Ahmed Zia New Member

Dear All..

Can any jell insoules b used inside shoes to prevent the shin splits and shin pains ???

And wat abt heal pain.. although i have found jell insoules for heel pains and it is working great

Regards

Mansoor Ahmed
    Pakistan

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Hi there

Changing your footwear or insoles can help a lot with shin splints and pain.

My other recommendations would be:
    - Take a break from badminton to heal, 4-6 weeks should be sufficient to recover.
    - Get a deep tissue massage/learn how to deep tissue massage your legs
    - Use calf compression socks to help increase blood flow to your legs to heal faster

Shin splints can be caused by putting too much pressure on your calf, if you play on a floor that isn't cushioned (like sprung board floor), and instead play on linoleum or concrete, you are at greater risk of shin splints.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    calf compression works really well for shin splints. but u should take at least a couple of weeks' rest before resuming activity. and when you do, keep the compression on.

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I have been dealing wih shin splits on my stronger leg (right leg) since a few months now. Few things I found out through trials and errors that can help reduce the pain:

- changed the way I position myself on net shots. I was leaning a little bit too forward on net shots and as a result I was putting more weight and shock on my right leg, especially when coming from the back of the court.
    - build up more muscles on my lower legs through simple heel raise and stretching exercices on a daily basis.
    - apply some kinesio tape + wear a compression calf during the sessions
    - apply ice after the sessions + wear a compression calf for sleeping

The pain still come back at the end of some sessions or the day after an intense match but it can help you a bit dealing with shin splits. Those are pretty hard to deal with as they can be quite painful and long to get rid of.

Cheung and Fidget like this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Just wanted to add another detail that helps me relieve a bit the shin splits is not to tighten my shoes too much. Obviously please be careful not ending up risking another injurie but it works for me regarding the shin splits issue.

Also I‘m thinking of switching to a pair of shoes (currently using Asics) with inner bootie like the Yonex power cushion comfort Z hoping it will not tighten on my feet too much yet still provide enough support to my feet.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

To follow up a little bit on my last post, I did change shoes around the first week of November. I got a pair of Victor A730 and since then I didn’t experience any shin splits despite a week where I trained 3 times and played 3 matches at a tournament. Would have most likely get a shin split issue at some point with the previous shoes.

In my case, there is definitely a relation between the shoes and those shin splits. I don’t believe my previous shoes were that bad for entry level Asics as I was 5 more kgs than I am at the moment last year and used those previous shoes for 12 months so they were probably worn out too. Also the new Victor shoes I bought are much more optimised for badminton, I don’t have to tighten the shoes so hard for them to maintain my ankle properly for example and I feel like there is also a connection between how the shoes fit and the shin splits. Again at least in my case. (Those Victor shoes are very comfortable too and the cushioning - energymax 3.0 - is amazing)

That being said I would advice those experiencing shin splits to give a try to a higher quality pair of shoes designed for badminton exclusively and see if it helps. If you’re lucky it will :)

Cheung likes this.
  7. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

Hello all, I have been dealing with shin splints for about 3 years now and have been seeing a physical therapist to fix it. The shin splints started when I chose taking the sport more seriously and started jumping more. My feet are slightly flatter than normal and tend to overpronate. It's 99% gone now but still comes up if I don't actively work on it.

Things that helped the most:
    1. Massaging the muscle along the shin after a badminton session. I usually use a foam roller or a handled roller. [​IMG][​IMG]
    2. Tibialis posterior strengthening. My physio explained there was too much load on my tibialis anterior from jumping and landing. There are many ways to do this, but I follow this method my phsio taught me since I can hold the band myself :

LenaicM, Sirppi and Goggles like this.
  8. Bugles

Bugles New Member

I had the same problem when I started playing badminton long time ago, the fix I discovered was just finding a different shoes. When I changed my shoes to Asics Gel-blast 7 it went away like magic. I got 3 pairs that served me well. But I'm suffering with runners toenail. Now, I'm using Aerus 3 but I have a custom insole. Still works good.