Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Really! That does sound quite bad, considering it is meant to be a sprained ankle.

If that is the case, then it might be difficult for her to perform well at the All Japan Championships in December, too. This is the domestic tournament which determines national team members for the following year; it is quite important.

2. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Is the All Japan happening after the WC? Extremely packed schedule for them.

3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep; it will held December 24-30.

4. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

They decided to go Hoki/Watanabe and Koga/Saito instead which I think is a good call to ensure Watanabe gets a point for JPN. Will be a bit wild if he doesn’t deliver but hopefully the pressure isn’t too much for him.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  5. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

I just can't comprehend the rationale behind the MD1 pairing. @kurako if you find any justification from interviews or press releases please let us know!

6. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Nothing at the moment, but how does the ranking work here? In order to field Watanabe as the first MD, would Watanabe have to be paired with either Hoki or Kobayashi? Maybe PJB thought that leaving him as a second MD (with Koga for example) could be too late, ... on the assumption that Momota may well lose to Shi Yu Qi.

On that note, I was really taken aback by the way SYQ closed the match; and even more disappointed by the content of his interview. Today's behaviour is going to haunt him for some time to come.

7. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

AY shouldn't be playing and shouldn't have been playing yesterday.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Awesome Yamaguchi!!

9. Cunning Linguist

Nom nom nom (eating my words.):oops:

10. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

How painful it is sometimes supporting this team. Always on the losing side of these tight encounters. :oops::(

trizzforce likes this.
  11. Cunning Linguist

Maybe we should just accept it as a trademark, corporate identity, or the funny quirk of a flamboyant relative.

"Oh look, it's the NBA delegation! How many game points will they waste this time, the little rascals? Ahhh, can't stay mad at them. Just look at that funny plastic poultry!":D

12. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Was feeling the same way. I don't know why, but I relate to this so much.
    I can't remember the last time I've seen Japan edge out China in tight situations at crunch time. It's really frustrating to see how they can find different ways to lose in these encounters.

Doesn't help the fact that their injuries always come at inopportune times and making things harder than it has to be. Really, well played to China for ALWAYS being able to consistently come out on top of these tight scorelines...

If there's nothing they can reflect on, just reflect on how they wasted 12 game points across 3 games (as CL pointed out in the other thread).

Woke up from 4 AM Melbourne time to watch this only to see disappointment.

13. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Heartbreak for Japan in the Uber Cup. They had so many chances and were leading for the majority of the time only to fail at crunch time (yet again). Nonetheless, congrats to everyone involved who put up a great fight despite all the injuries within the team, and great job to Yamaguchi for putting Japan on the score board both in Aarhus and Vantaa. I hope the knee strapping isn't too serious. She did look slower this week compared to 2 weeks ago at the Sudirman Cup. Matsuyama also deserves a mention for her performance this week. I was half expecting for her to lose her way midway due to the pressure, but she stayed focused and played very well. Really like the creativity she brings to Japanese WD.

Glad to see Momota bounce back from the Sudirman Cup defeat to SYQ. I was afraid that it would be another disaster, especially after the defeat to HKH in the QF, but he proved me wrong. I haven't seen him defend that well since the accident. It gives me hope that he's steadily making his comeback despite all the ups and downs in the past few weeks. The rest of the men team, *sigh*.... Hoki/Kobayashi blow hot and cold like Matsumoto. Brilliant in one match and nonexistent in other. Tsuneyama and Nishimoto are as reliable as any >30 ranker. Would have loved to see Watanabe paired with Kobayashi instead of Hoki for the SF, but I guess PJB didn't want to take a chance with Kobayashi seeing how he had a mental breakdown in the match the previous day against Choi/Seo. I guess making it to the SF with this team is still an achievement, so congrats to the men team for the Thomas Cup Bronze medal.

kwun, visor and trizzforce like this.
  14. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I think Japan's Thomas Cup performance is a bit concerning tbh. Several of their veteran players lost to junior players from China and Malaysia. Their MD1 pair lost to a Chinese pair which I believe does not have a world ranking yet,Kanta lost to Li Shifeng and Kenta lost to Leong Jun Hao who is only ranked 120 plus in the world (albeit he was a former Asian Junior Champion,but still).

I don't think Japan's MS2 and MS3 can go very much further from where they are now,and I also have doubts about their doubles pairs whether they can compete with those from Taiwan,Indonesia,China and India.

It looks like Momota is the only one who is carrying the Japanese men's team now,and considering so many rivals coming up who are at least four to five years younger than him,I think Japan should seriously consider the regeneration process for the future too,if they want to continue their dominance.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

Woesi and KhoaHa like this.
  15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Nishimoto lost the match that he CAN lose. Japan already to won the group D by 4-0 and NO NEED to try hard to win.

Nishimoto will back to top 10 soon with his performance.

16. yuon

yuon Regular Member

On the contrary, I think he needed to try hard and win to prove that he deserved to be chosen to play. Watanabe Koki would have loved to have that chance instead. If I were Nishimoto, I wouldn't have wanted to be the only loss of the day, especially a loss that he should have won comfortably on paper.

LenaicM likes this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That remains to be seen. First, he needs to participate in top tournaments to have a chance to join the top 10 again. Will he?

18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

All bets were on Tokyo 2020. But there are many talents in Japan, some will emerge sooner or later.

cococo likes this.
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Not too many penetrating insights here, but PJB's assessment of the Thomas-Uber outcome runs as follows. (As always, taken from the only site that bothers to run full interviews: Badminton Spirit)

On the Uber Cup Final:
    I think that we put up a good fight. As both our WD1 and WD2 were not pairs that usually play together, it took a little time for them to communicate and rotate smoothly; and, as the matches were long, the players became extremely tired. But, in spite of that, both pairs had the chance to win; I think that they did really well. The Chinese WD1 pair, Chen/Jia, are Olympic silver medallists and they have a strong fighting spirit. I think that the first game of the match was important. It is a pity that we were not able to take it. Of course it is regrettable that were were defeated, but I think that our team performed well.

On the Thomas Cup result:
    The doubles were new pairs, and although Momota is starting to recover from his Tokyo Olympic defeat, he still lost to Lee Zii Jia and Heo Kwanghee in this tournament. With regard to both doubles and singles, there is still room for growth.

--

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  20. Cunning Linguist

@kurako
    I kind of wish he'd been interviewed by that Badminton Europe guy who grilled Shi Yuqi. "Yes, the Chinese pair are Olympic silver medallists, but your players have two WC titles and three WC silvers between them. How are they not able to convert 7 game points?":D

yuon, Michael V and kurako like this.