Should the girl always be shorter than the guy in XD?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ^Tayo^, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Should the girl always be shorter than the guy in XD?
    This question came to me at 3am tonight and I couldn't sleep since. So I logged in BC and type this weird question. Personally I haven't encountered this situation before nor ever seen it in tournaments. In case you do, let me know so I can sleep in peace... :D

Cheers

2. archie

archie Regular Member

The new korean Mix Doubles Lee Jae Jin and Lee Hyo Jung ... the gal looks a little taller than her partner ... I personally quite like this combination ...:rolleyes:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    AE 2005 finalists Thomas Laybourn & Kamilla Rytter Juhl, Kamilla is as tall if not taller than Thomas...

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Not really. However, traditional mixed doubles tactics are based on the following assumptions:
    * the girl has less court coverage than the guy
    * the guy has more attacking power from the rear court

If the guy is short and the girl has good reach and good power from the rear court, they might benefit from playing something that is closer to level doubles, with the guy following up to the net more often than what is common in traditional MX.

For instance, Swedes Marina Andriewskaya and George Rimarcdi formed a good mixed pair in the Swedish elite division a couple of years ago. Marina is probably a good 10 cm taller than George. They played a very level doubles-like game, sometimes even a "reverse MX" with Marina often attacking from the back, and George killing at the net.

#4 Mag, Aug 29, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Players should be selected by their ability and not relative height with his/her partner. Take gao ling, she isn't tiny compare to zhang jun

#5 cooler, Aug 29, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    100%.

There's no hard written winning formula. Of course, there's "common" ones, but that does not mean it works in wonder all the time. Players need to adjust the game plan IAW with game situation and team formation.

If the girl happen to be taller/faster/stronger, etc, and have the backcourt game, then a lvl double formation could work in wonder, as it's harder for less experienced opponents to predict the attack. The reversed mxd formation is rare, but I was lucky enough to be involved for quite a few times. It works out great. ;)

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

LB,
    Your comments are great. I just want to add something. I feel that girl/guy height difference in XD is due to the asian girl is generally shorter than guy because girls want to have good figure and eat a lot less while they are growing up. There is no reason for a girl in XD to be shorter than guy. Infact, if a shorter girl is faster and can smash better than the male player, it might be an even bigger surprise.

8. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

Kamilla is indeed taller than Thomas. IMO having a tall lady in a xd pair can be useful as it allows the pair to play more like a level doubles pair

9. pommyg

pommyg Regular Member

I agree!

http://www.thebadmintonstore.com

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    tall ladies can intercept higher at the net, forcing opposing players to lift higher and therefore shorter lifts. Both short and tall front players have their advantages and disadvantages. It come down to how effectively can they exploit their heights.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it's more DNA related rather than eating habbits? I mean, even in western world, girls are in general (average) shorter than guys. :rolleyes:

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

A few weeks ago, I played some mixed doubles with a girl who's around my height, rather than my usual partner who's quite a bit shorter. I suppose one thing that I did notice was that it was somewhat harder to see the opponents side of the court, especially when playing fast, flat shots and transitioning between defense/offense. Sometimes, I would be screened on a shot, which made it a bit more difficult to return them. Of course, that could just be the difference in skill level between the two girls. I suppose what's really important is the ability to adapt to the physical characteristics and abilities of whomever you play with.

13. silentheart

Often time the 2nd generation asian girl is taller than the father. I am not disputing if it is DNA issue. I am saying the food makes a difference too.

14. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Kamilla looked REALLY tall in AE2005, well that's my first time seeing her. I'm pretty sure the other doubles pair had to make big adjustments to account for the fact that they can't just lob the bird over her.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see. Maybe milk is the key factor? :rolleyes:

16. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    obviously it is, since past generations cannot afford milk

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am trying to stay on the original topic.

Actually, a lot of cases is not wether the 1st generation can afford milk or not. Most of them prefer traditional chinese food (i.e. soy bean milk, stew rice, soup, etc) way over milk for breakfast. ;)

18. silentheart

Hey LB,

Here is a dearm for you. How about Maria Sharapova, 6'2" play back court for you?

Have a nice dreammmm:D

19. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    It doesn't matter if the girl is taller. And for those who think it is possible to play level double with a girl, i would say that, at least at college, the strongest guy play with the strongest girl and so on, so the guy is ALWAYS better (or at least, more efficient ) in the back court. And a taller girl is an advantage because she can cover a much larger area in the front.

20. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

I think a very short girl (4'10") cannot help your game either, she gets killed on cross drop. Also when in defense, the girl can't do much for offensive shots unless she sets up for the guy.