Kento Momota (new thread)

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by visor, May 12, 2020.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I don't think it is a 'defensive mentality' so much as a keen awareness of where his strengths and weaknesses lie. Momota knows that his strength is his defence. He probably considers his best chance to be a counter-attack, rather than offensive shot from the outset.

LenaicM likes this.
  2. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Ginting couldn't, let us see if Momota can spread the big legs tomorrow ;)

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Thomas cup: Momota vs SYQ

Well done Momonta, great performance, best performance lately. He didn't attack often, but almost always got the point if he attack, had superior net control and great defense. Hope he will get some confidence from this match.

But what does SYQ think ? Ending a match like this,really ? Very cheeky, I remember LCW vs LD and LCW tried to finished the match in the 3rd set, thought he was downed by cramps and needed to abort the match finally, but he really tried to give LD a honorable win.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  4. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

I got too lazy to scroll in the active thread regarding the match. SYQ's retirement shenanigans at 20-5 left a sour taste in my mouth. At least give the man the clean, deserved win. If you're going to retire, at least do it a few points before.

5. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

[deleted]

#605 galaxyduo, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  6. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

[deleted]

#606 galaxyduo, Oct 16, 2021
  7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Apparently, this is a fuller translation of SYQ's post-match interview, as taken from the Youtube list of comments. The content is quite astounding.
    upload_2021-10-17_1-33-14.png

thyrif, Woesi and pali.69 like this.
  9. pali.69

pali.69 New Member

I think "astounding" is quite an euphemism here ... I'd describe it as disturbing. What the hell was he thinking ...

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I was trying to be nice. Believe me, many other adjectives come to mind.

11. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I'm really surprised because Shi has so far been an exemplary sportsman. This is not just bad, he is blatantly admitting that he threw the game because he didn't want to lose. This should be a fine and a suspension imo.

nokh88 and toonbaka like this.
  12. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

What the ... is wrong with this guy?

I think he is disturbed. This is not normal from a normal pro and certainly from someone at this level. Seriously. That's mega low.

samkool likes this.
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Here's my translation of Momota's post-match interview (SF against SYQ),as published by Badminton Spirit:

I was up against an opponent to whom I lost at the Sudirman Cup. It was good that I entered the match with the strong intention to win it. I managed to start G1 with a really good rhythm. Towards the end, when the scoreline was tight, it wasn't racquet skill, but my resolve to move my legs and return as many of my opponent's shots as possible that won the game.

(Regarding SYQ's retirement at 20-5) I don't know why my opponent retired at 20-5, but I hope that he is not injured. If possible, I would have liked to have taken the last point, but as I was able to gain a point for my team, I am not concerned about it.

#613 kurako, Oct 16, 2021
    nokh88, LenaicM, pali.69 and 3 others like this.
  14. toonbaka

toonbaka Regular Member

Thank you for the translation, kurako. Is this interview the one Momota gave to Badminton Europe? Looks like the official translator didn’t translate it fully in that video, so I’m curious what he would said about this situation. Especially when, if I heard it correctly, he mentioned SYQ’s name rather than use ‘kare’ near the end of it. I know only a very little bit of Japanese and may look too much into that small detail, but I think that players normally avoid outright saying their opponents’ name, don’t they? So I wonder if there’s something behind that.

15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

@toonbaka

The comment above was probably addressed directly to Badminton Spirit (a Japanese online/magazine publisher). Momota's interview with Badminton Europe revealed his thoughts on SYQ's retirement a little more. And, needless to say, the interpretation was abysmal. I really don't know why professional interpreters cannot be employed; this is a perennial problem The actual content of the Badminton Europe interview goes something like this:

Interviewer: A very tight first game. At what point did you know that you got this game?
    Momota: After I took the first game I could see that my opponent was tired, and realised that the flow was with me.
    Interviewer: 20-5. One point missing. How was it for you standing on the other side knowing that you cannot even flick a serve? On paper it looks strange.
    Momota: For the audience, I feel it would have been better to play the final point. But as I was able to contribute a point to the team, I am not particularly concerned.
    Interviewer: But is it fair play?
    Momota: [Initial hesitation]. I don't want to criticise him [this is where you heard the 'kare']. As a sportsman one should behave in a gentlemanly manner, but there also pride involved in not wanting to lose, so it is a very difficult issue.

--

Justin L, ant01, samkool and 7 others like this.
  16. toonbaka

toonbaka Regular Member

Thank you for further explanation and translation. I, erm, am a fan of SYQ that also appreciate Momota’s game, so I want to gather informations and thoughts, especially from those directly involved in the situation. He handled the interview professionally, as opposed to SYQ. Not only what they said, but also their body language, like the way they showed their hesitation. While my favorite player lost a bit of my respect, Momota gains more of my respect here.

This tournament and the Sudirman Cup expose numerous problems lying in BWF’s management, ranging from umpires/service judges’ to translators’ qualities, vagueness of the rules, and so on. I wish this particular incident would spark some actions in the organization, but well, that’ll be just a wishful thinking.

17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Im glad that I almost understood the last answer just by listening. Been watching more jap movies and tv shows so it becomes easier.

Years watching anime did very little because the pacing of the speech and the enunciation is very different. Anime is a lot clearer.

18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Imagine Momota wins 2 matches and Heo Kwanghee wins 2 matches in Denmark Open.

Revenge attempt #2 o_Oo_Oo_O

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Excuse me, are you sure you used the right adjective "mega" (which, by the way is a slang or informal word with positive connotations meaning great, very large, extremely good or successful). And yet Momota himself, on the receiving end of SYQ's behaviour or beneficiary, for that matter, is unconcerned about it .

Don't tell me you expect SYQ to commit hara-kiri before you're appeased? Spoken in jest.:p:D:)

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in english slang 'mega' is not confined to positive usage. it's meant to increase\explain\exclaim something by a factor of 1,000.

ie. mega right v mega wrong.

trizzforce and Quentin11 like this.