Most overrated player according to you

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 12, 2021.

1. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

What good is having records if you keep losing to the same players at your peak in the most important events? Simply losing to Chen Long thrice in the finals of the most important events is enough to say he is at best on the same tier with Chen Long, if not lower (which he is, in my book). Nothing speaks louder than results for an athlete.

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Well, Chen Long is ~7 years younger than LCW, that is quite a difference for a pro badminton player. Just compare what Lin Dan was able to do in his early 20th vs his mid 30th.

3. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

I count chen l as an underrated player too. But still, i rate him lower than lcw, maybe equal with taufik and higher than gade

4. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

Another player came across my mind as OVERRATED is Ratchanok Intanon.

Do not get me wrong, she is the most entertaining and talented player in the current generation of WS. However she has failed to live up to expectations and the hype weighted on her talents.

She became a sensation for winning the WC final against Li Xuerui which shocked the world by the way and not only that, I would also go as far to claim/allege that victory over Li Xuerui actually created a DOMINO effect in the WS badminton. Since then, more and more WS players are more confident and do not fear to play and beat the Chinese players.

That is all i remember from Ratchanok. Since then, I never see her win or even consistently step up when it matters most in big tournaments.

She has -

1) Not won a single All England title until now
    2) Failed to win any Olympic medal in the last three Olympic editions
    3) Managed only two World Championship medals (one gold and one bronze) until now.
    4) Head to Head record against most opponent is quite unstable sometimes.

Is she overrated/overhype or she is simply unlucky?

5. vozer here

Yes a bit overhype around 2013 2014 time. But current, i think she's underrated when some rate even not count her as 1 of top player

Her winning percent actually stable. Stable low, 2013 and 2021 almost the same lower than 70%

6. jctai

jctai Regular Member

RI has her ups and downs, I don't think she's overrated or underrated. I personally don't like how her relationships gets publicly aired out by herself no less and it's obvious that her previous relationship affects her performance which really undercuts her potential and talent. I would even say it disappointed a lot of fans who had high hopes for her future. In her high she had won 3 tournaments back to back in a month which is extremely impressive.
    However, her chances of becoming a legend has became slimmer by the year as she age.

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

What do you mean by overrated in your opinion?
    If you dont consider winning World championships 3 times in junior circuit and one time in senior circuit , then what else you consider?
    If so, most of the top players are overrated except who won olympic medals ..
    Except for this olympics , tai did not even win a medal in world championships . So, what do you call that?.
    Shi yuqi did not win world championships and olympics, shall we call him as overrated?.
    This is not called as overrated.
    Player who has talent but could not deliver it at crucial times CONSISTENTLY.
    I would call Jonathan christie and He bingjiao.
    People told that she is extremely talented but she did not have any result.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  8. vozer here

result need more than just talent. Ppl think he b talented but never considered she as a top contender for gold. So she's not overrated

9. Yeung Chao

I do not really care about junior achievements because they amount to almost nothing.
    There used to be a Thai junior singles player called Pisit Poodchalat that won the first Olympic Youth Gold medal. Since then, he has failed to win any senior tournament.

Ratchanok generated a lot of hype for her playing style which I am like to watch by the way, making a name for herself to be one of the youngest finalist in All England before losing and then beat Li Xuerui in a WC Final in China as a youngster. Since generating such hype, she has failed to follow through with more success. Not a single Olympic medal, not a single All England title, not even an Asian Games singles medal. She greatly under-achieved for the hype she generated when she was young.

Fast forward to today, other singles players are more successful than her.

Tai Tzu Ying - An Olympic Silver, Asian Games Gold medallist, All England champs

PV Sindhu - Two Time Olympic Medallist (Now that is a very rare achievement, not many badminton players actually win multiple medals in a single category), several World Championship medals. She seems to turn on in big tournaments.

Chen Yu Fei - One Olympic Gold. She really stepped up and fought her corner against a better opponent Tai TY. One of the best Women singles final of all time.

Marin - She practically won everything. The thing is i always thought Ratchanok to be capable to beating Marin in any final but it turns out Marin has gone further than Ratchanok.

The other singles players including the Japanese ones are doing alright but not good enough to win big titles.

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ummm... nozomi okuhara? same age as ratchanok. a 'quietly' successful career so far.

2016 rio olympic bronze
    2016 & 2021 all england winner
    2017 world champ gold
    2019 world champ silver

all of the above wins coming after this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nozomi_Okuhara#2013–2014

far far more than what chen yu-fei has accomplished so far. she also edges out tty in world championship results, but not total tournament titles.

Woesi likes this.
  11. vozer here

no a bit more or chen y a bit more or maybe its equal but no way "far far more"
    only gold matter. Silver, bronze are like consolation prize

no: 1 wc, 2 all england, 1 wtf, 3ss/wt750
    chen y: 1 olympic, 1 all england, 1wtf, 2 wt750

12. Yeung Chao

Chen is not really the big favourite to win the olympics in my opinion. I thought one of the Japanese would win/Tai Tzu Ying/Ratchanok Intanon/PV Sindhu.

Both Japanese players got knocked out, Tai Tzu Ying went to the final as expected, PV Sindhu got a second medal while Ratchanok completely bottled it for the third time. I think she will bottle again for the fourth time in Paris.

I thought Chen would lose to TTY in the final but Chen played like a champion and hold her ground. TTY was clearly the better player but lost to Chen in terms of patience and less error.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  13. super-g

super-g Regular Member

In my opinion most overrated is Lee Chong Wei. 0 major wins, 2 doping bans.

14. deven

deven Regular Member

business
    Dear its an idiotness to judge any player inside world ranking 10 .. players doesn’t overrates itself ..
    player like lee chong wei with 3 silver olympic is 2nd best achievement after lin dan .
    Hsbc 1000 n super series titles - he is legend !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Tailed Fox and Baddie lover like this.
  15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

When I mentioned Jonathan in this thread, already he was totally out of form for long long time.
    But yesterday in Thomas cup semifinals, he delivered when it mattered , against Antonsen in a marathon match. I would love to take my word back. But my conscience tells me to give him benefit of doubt. Let's wait for final as well.

stanleyfm and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  16. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Seriously should we draw a line between under achiever and overrated?

17. Yeung Chao

Are you referring to my comments of Ratchanok? I think it's justified to call her overrated for the hype she generated while she was young. Until today, she does not have consistent results, cannot win an All England, win any medal in Asian Games/Olympics (after three appearances). What is even sad is her other rivals achieve more than her other than the Japanese ones.

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    those terms are interchangeable. in other words what is the proper term for a player/pair who consistently loses to players they should beat?

my personal system to gauge underachieving/overrated players and pairs is the higher ranked player/pair should win at least:
    1. 51% of the time against those ranked 1 to 4 places below you
    2. 75% of the time against those ranked 5 to 9 places below you, and
    3. 95% of the time against those ranked 10 or more places below you.
    i weigh this track record relative to how much praise they currently receive from fans and journalists. if a player does not live up to or slowly increase their ranking over time and continue to be lauded for seemingly illogical reasons i would call them overrated.

in the end players find themselves ranked right where they should be. :rolleyes:

#58 samkool, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    pick a sport, any sport. how many youth/junior/collegiate superstars actually end up maintaining their same level of success at the professional level?

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Now I'm curious
    What show is this? Do you have a link for the video? ahhahaa

#60 stanleyfm, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021