TotalEnergies THOMAS-UBER Cup 2020 - Group Stage Matches (9-14 October 2021)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Ah ok. Thats only a one match gap though. Why dint they play MS 3 first? Or is that not allowed?

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    BR Sankeerth really stepped up his game in G2 and almost won it

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Line K is leading vs WZY

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not a good win by Wang Zhiyi.

5. mohans

mohans Regular Member

[​IMG]
    INA bets on Fajar/Rian against Lee/Wang. That’s interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wade, indrg and Sundis like this.
  6. Justafan90

So what are the goals for this match? I know Chinese Taipei gotta win to stand a chance to qualify, do they hav to win 5-0? How does it work?

7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I don’t clearly understand the thought process in this team selection. INA needs at least 2 wins to stay alive. It appears that the team management is not confident of wins from JC, and ASG. Hence they worked out these unlikely combinations to secure 3 wins from the other matches in the tie

8. Justafan90

Even against lee yang/wcl? I mean why not right at this point

9. sen

sen Regular Member

I think the selection is based on who has the most fitness. Probably the minions are not at 100% fitness. Meanwhile I see that in MS, there are no other choices, even though the 2 MS is not playing at their best, they are the best.
    I don't think they need to think about securing 3 wins or 2 wins, just send the best, do their best

stanleyfm, Cheung and indrg like this.
  10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Fajar/Rian need to be tested against the Olympic Gold Medallist and they have not lost in their H2H meet-ups so far. So, INA is banking for a point from this tie, rather than relying on the out of form and out of fitness Minions, who have not been doing well since the Olympics.

Ahsan's experience will play a big role in the MD2, playing with Daniel Marthin for the first time; while Shesar Hiren Rhustavito is expected to deliver the winning point against the WR146 Chi Yu-Jen, whom he had beaten also.

I don't expect Ginting and Jojo to win either of their matches.

So, INA may lose 2-3 if Fajar/Rian did not deliver. Thailand will be expected to win 5-0 and not going to lose any set. So, its likely they will end up with 22-12, in terms of games.

wade likes this.
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

wow Daniel Marthin.

If INA lost 4-1 that means TPE is the group winner and INA will be out, unless THA only win 4-1 as well. Then it will go to games differential which is tight as hell.

that Ginting 2 Deuce Sets lost could be crucial. 4 MP , it will have been 4-1 for INA. Now can only rue it.

12. wade

wade Regular Member

Finally herry ip dare to play fajar/rian as MD 1, it's gonna be a great battle between fajar/rian and the olympic champion. I'm surprised he choose daniel martin to play with ahsan though, maybe he's pissed with kevin or something after that performance against thailand lol

13. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Deleted
    Understood what you mean

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

As predicted Uber Cup group A conclusion saw Japan is out as group winner, detecting level of play discrepancy between Japan and Indonesia especially in singles department. A contrast of accuracy, Grego is so easy to contribute cheap points for her rival meanwhile the Japanese starlet plays tidily arranged and looks composed throughout the match. The Indonesian presents much better display in 2nd game, especially her fascinating cross court net shot. Almost isn't enough, too bad the highly promoted Putri KW unables to seize momentum in second game when Takahashi made numerous errors suddenly, learning experience for INA promising star to improve further.

Group D, CHN beat DEN 5-0 with two matches were stretched into full distance. He BJ often troubled by her consistency and accuracy, seems she was under pressure last night, losing opening plot 18-13, credit to Christophersen who took initiative to attack in late stages of first set. The left-hander looks ordinary in terms of her readable pattern rather than to unleash high quality deceptive shot. Then Wang Zhiyi needs to dig deep before edged past Line Kjaersfeldt who targeting deep forehand corner where the young Chinese gave late respond frequently.

Thomas Cup group D, Lee Zii Jia is fully prepared to face the rapid rise Brian Yang, as the Malaysian applies more patient mode with long rallies instead of rushing to attack and the strategy worked well. The reigning All England Champion took command and dictating pace in second game as the Canadian rising star started to produce unnecessary mistakes on his attacking shot. Next, the much anticipated Lee-Momota duel part 3 is slated to happen tomorrow.

Mouth watering clash is on the cards in Thomas Cup group of death, INA v TPE, crucial tie for both teams particularly the latter who swallowed regretful defeat to THA on opening match. INA selects Alfian/Ardianto who have positive H-2-H stats (3-0) over the Olympic Champions, understandable decision following the Minions dismal performance recently. Senior-junior combination will challenge TPE #2, the explosive duo Lu CY/Yang PH.

15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Sorry to be overly-fastidious here, but the term 'starlet' is probably inappropriate as far as Yamaguchi is concerned. Actually, it comes across as somewhat belittling. Yamaguchi is a top 5 player, who has been ranked as high as WR1. She is already on the big stage, ... and she has been there for quite a while.

... Having said that, I really do appreciate your previews. Thank you, as always! :)

CLELY likes this.
  16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I think they play according to ranking. If sankeerth plays 1st singles, there is nobody to play MS2 and MS3. Hence there is no other choice .

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The question wasnt what MS he plays, but when (i.e. playing MS3 first, MD2 last for example).

I'm not sure if there's strict scheduling rules, I wasn't aware of any

18. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Ina got the 1st point

19. wade

wade Regular Member

Ginting won 22-20 21-15

Hopefully he'll play better from now on

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not much is said how CTC, a medal favourite in OG, not getting a medal.

20-16 up in G1, blew it. Mentally , he is hurt as well. Happens to everyone.

Surprised he hadnt fire his coach or physios right.