Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yes and I kept waiting for a proper revenge where both are on super form of their life which I'm not sure is even going to happen now :(

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I don't want 'no footwork' Momota to play any top player and get massacred :(

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Heartiest congratulations to Shi Yuqi for his maiden China National Games Men's Singles title win beating Lu Guangzu in the final after disposing of Chen Long in the semifinal.

I felt this victory comes at just the right time as it would help him to regain his self-confidence for the upcoming Sudirman Cup and the following Thomas Cup as he has to assume the mantle of Men's Singles One for Team China in the absence of Chen Long who is taking a break until the Asian Games next year.

TBH, I don't feel his mental strength is good enough, not weak but also not strong.

badmintonpog1 and tbgoh288 like this.
  5. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Nice to see Shi yuqi winning some. Let's hope he continues stepping up.

What racket is that? Looks like Astrox 100zz but with Victor logo???

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Why is Shi Yuqi flopping in every match after fulfulling his childhood dream of lifting the National Games Gold Medal?

7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Chinese MS in shambles

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Will SYQ be able to handle the VERY top dog Heo Kwanghee?

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  9. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

In upcoming players apart from li shifeng all other players are not looking promising. Chinese coaches must focus on develop two 18 years old liu liang & dong tian yao.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, he didn't at first, almost flopped as in the opening game it was Heo Kwang Hee who shone like a star.

Then, to my surprise, from G2 onwards, he played as if it's all or nothing, do or die and began to display the kind of form reminiscent of his pre-injury days.

In fact, in his match with Viktor Axelsen in the quarterfinals, despite going down in two straight games, he actually showed glimpses of his former self, except that he still hasn't quite learnt how to handle very tall attacking players with the height and reach.

Imho, I'd suggest he take a leaf from Lee CW, what he lacks in height, he makes up for in speed, and, I'd add, by seizing the initiative more often to go on the attack or being proactive (or else, end up on the receiving end of the opponent's offensive , being reduced to passivity, and mostly reacting to the opponent's shots).However, to do the latter effectively requires a reasonably good reading of the opponent's game, the better to anticipate his shotmaking, easier said than done.

#310 Justin L, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  11. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

What he lack is stamina which is common with skillful players. They didn't have to run as much because they control the game but at this level, without stamina is a big disadvantage. If he runs 10 Km daily, he would be somebody to beat for a while.

12. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Amazing performance by Shi Yuqi!! Seems to do very well against Momota all the time since World Tour Final 2019. His variety of shots never stops to amaze me.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    CHN need to train him specifically for beating the Danish MS players from now on, watch 2hrs of video analysis everyday of Axelsen (and Antonsen also) have some CHN smasher standing on an elevated court hitting smashes to him and practicing to avoid bad not high enough x-court lifts and other shots that Axelsen can reach.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well,I just finished watching the replay of Shi Yuqi vs Kento Momota Sudirman Cup Final matchup after having watched the livestream earlier.

And, man, I was blown away, it was totally unexpected, Shi Yuqi a real class act today.

In fact, as I recalled, it was the third time in his career that Shi Yuqi stunned Momota , the two previous occasions being the 2018 World Tour Finals by 21-12 and 21-11 , the other being the 2019 Sudirman Cup Final by 15-21, 21-5, and 21-11. And today, in the 2021 Sudirman Cup Final, SYQ once again triumphed with a resounding victory by 21-13, 8-21, and 21-12.

In each of these three encounters against the redoubtable Momota, the player everyone wants to beat in that period, Shi Yuqi played like he is the true world number one but, no, he doesn't have the kind of outstanding consistent results to back that up, esp so since his ankle injury in 2019 AE match with Anders Antonsen till today, his overall tournament results have been lackluster as he struggled to make a comeback after a three-month injury layoff, too soon and unwisely, in my opinion, due to recovery complications post-operation.

Now after his spectacular victory today over Momota with a display of quality badminton in the highest order of magnitude, I daresay, specifically in G1 and G3 (excepting G2 which is an aberration, to me, as he practically gave up the set around the halfway mark while trailing by much when he tanked so as to conserve energy for the decider; though, the gamble paid off in the end, I personally won't recommend it for psychological reasons as doing so can not only give the opponent a lifeline but may actually spur the opponent to come charging back with vengeance to knock you off instead), my hope is thereby raised significantly and I would confidently say we should see Shi Yuqi on a comeback trail soon and, who knows, even go on to scale new heights.

Yes, he does have a couple of tricky opponents who may get in his way, such as the newly crowned Olympic champion, Viktor Axelsen, the very tall attacking Dane who has been troubling him quite a bit, but I believe SYQ has the ability to overcome the hurdles in the time to come if he continues to play the way he did against Momota in consistent fashion with everybody else he meets henceforth.

Thus far SYQ has done it not once but three times with Momota, I trust SYQ with his talent and willingness to work hard and the perseverance will get there one day, the pinnacle.

Woesi likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks to CLELY for posting the following on the tournament thread, a post-match interview of Shi Yuqi and Kento Momota after the Sudirman Cup Final matchup:
    excerpt from https://bwfsudirmancup.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2021/10/04/china-ace-final-test/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that's the spirit , Shi Yuqi - 90% of your former best is not good enough as you've yet to realize your fullest potential when struck by ankle injury in 2019. Go for 120% of that ! You can do it. Way to go. JIaYou !

#315 Justin L, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good game. Speed is still number 1. Strategy no 2, he did it. Stamina is the least worry. It works for him. ;)

Am sure momota also need to get slimmer. Looks a bit slow with silly mistakes. Not much netting like his hey days. ;)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Glad to see Shi Yuqi beating THA Kantaphon Wancharoen decisively in two sets, 21-14 and 21-17 that set the tone for the rest of the Thomas Cup'20('21) QF tie, which together with MD He Jiting/Zhou Haodong's two straight-set win and Li Shfeng's remarkable victory over Kunlavut Vitidsarn enabled a 3-0 rout of the THA Team.

Apparently, SYQ's confidence level climbed a few notches after his resounding victory over Momota in the Sudirman Cup last week. Whether it will stay that way and for how long for Shi Yuqi is an interesting question.

As Sun Jun, his mentor, has more than once instilled into him, " Believe in yourself." Keep fighting, you can do it , Shi Yuqi !

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a meltdown. I'm utterly disappointed with SYQ's performance and behaviour today at the Thomas Cup semifinals, the way he lost and then gave up the match to Momota at just one final matchpoint away, 5-20 in G2. Words failed me.

Frankly, if I were Li Mao, I won't want to train SYQ because he is his own worst enemy, a very typical case where nobody can help him besides himself despite his prodigious talent. I would rather let the good-natured, patient and sympathetic coach, Chen Yu, do whatever he can and willing for him.

Sigh...........................

toonbaka likes this.
  19. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Appreciate this statement man.

20. toonbaka

toonbaka Regular Member

I don’t get why he did this. I think he’ll get bigger backlash from his supporters than just losing it normally. This event bothers me a lot since I always appreciate his sportsmanship. Hope he won’t do this again in the future as it’ll affect himself more than anyone. :(