[Need Expert Opinion] Is this unsual way of tying 4 knots bad?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Petrichor, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Petrichor

Petrichor New Member

Hello fellow badminton lovers,

I just moved back to Thailand and today I bought a new Yonex Astrox 100zz from a new seller. I specified that I would like my racket to be strung with Yonex standard 4 knots which is what I usually go for. (Picture 1)
    [​IMG]
    But somehow, the seller ended up sending me a racket with four knots but the cross start knot and the main tie off are in an unusual position shown below. (Picture 2)
    [​IMG]
    I contacted him back and in his defence, he said that he did this because this way it slows down the tension loss.

I don't mind trying a new way of stringing but my only concern is that whether this would affect the structure of the frame long-term, or when the string snapped because I am stringing them at high tension. I would love to get opinions from people who have more experience with this. The guy said if I want, he can fix it for me for free.

Thank you in advance! ;)

kakinami likes this.
  2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I wouldn't worry about where the knots are. If it feels good and is the right shape, and doesn't wobble when spun, then I'd be happy with it.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

kakinami, Petrichor and thyrif like this.
  3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

This seems fine. I guess he's trying to limit the amount of string outside the frame. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it breaks at that point more often when strung this way (once doesn't say much).
    I use an alternative knot location at the top when stringing aerobite to make it last longer, no worries.

Petrichor likes this.
  4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It won't affect the frame strength or tension loss.

But it certainly looks like a dog's **** - I can't abide knots on double grommets.

Petrichor likes this.
  5. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Lol your seller is probably on here as well. This is the so-called modified yonex pattern by one of our most famous stringers @kakinami.

Petrichor and kakinami like this.
  6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I string in Japan now, moved from the US in 2017. I use this pattern because for me the length of the main ties are cut in half instead of tying my mains at 8b I tie on 9b so there is less slack in my tie-off, this enables me to tie my cross at 8b where the length of slack is cut in half on the sides making my string pattern look a little cleaner with shorter slack on the sides. I have been using this pattern for probably over 10 years with no complaints from customers in the US. To me I think it is a better pattern than the Official Yonex pattern. Should give the name of the shop to give them props for using a more techinical string pattern!
    In my theory the shorter slack, tying from main #10 to main #8 in the Yonex pattern compared to this pattern main #10 to tie on main #9 the slack is half so yoyr main #10 when you tie off has less tension loss from the tie-off. Shorter string, less string to lose tension, longer string, more string to lose tension. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

7. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I am sad =(....

=)

Petrichor and thyrif like this.
  8. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Looks like the AK modified Yonex Pattern, probably started in 2009 by Alan Kakinami a wannabe stringer from the US. This poser was an offical stringer for the US Open badminton championships from 1999-2012, 2005 and 2011 Badminton World Championships, 2012 All Englands and 2012 London Olympics. Also an ATP and WTA tour stringer. Stringing nowhere now I believe he started using this pattern. =)

s_mair, tjiew, Petrichor and 4 others like this.
  9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Sorry, not sorry :D.

10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

<3

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Maybe using Aerobite you can get a better idea about that string pattern to show the lengths of the mains on the side. Hope the pictures help =)[​IMG][​IMG]

tjiew likes this.