Q: Increasing grip from 5g to 4g-?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Bkmz, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

Hey folks! Got a question.

So, Yonex usually makes their top rackets in 5g handle only. Say, I'd want 88d pro, but 5g is really small for my palm, how can I make it 4g (or better more to 3g) _without_ major overweight? Looking for best practice.

What are the options there?
    1. just 2 overgrips +10 grams
    2. adding cushion grip + 1 overgrip in my experience does not really make handle bigger, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    3. Medical tape before replacement grip adds even more +25 grams (like in that video where mr. Axelsen shows how he preps his rackets)
    4. Towel grip with main grip removed, same weight and handle. If put on top of main grip, +10 or more grams + less sensitivity in both cases
    5. ???

I mean, i can play with +25 or even +30 gr on the handle, but IMO is this just plain wrong? They calculated the balance for a reason, to say the least.

Any comments/opinions are appreciated! +Photo to attract attention (med tape + 3 overgrips = 25 gr)

Attached Files:

2. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

once upon a time, many decades ago, i played with very large grips. i might even have written about it under different name here. building size with replacement grips tend to obscure the bevels, especially if you want to go from g5 to g3. i find building up with basswood (used to build wood models and come in different thickness) the best for minimal weight added, as long as edges are properly angled so that bevels stay true.

i have also written about going down in size using modeling wood plane, that is even trickier.

Bkmz likes this.
  3. khoai

khoai Regular Member

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Lets try this.
    Ignore the number (BP), think it never exist.
    Adjust your grip size to your preferable size, try playing with it & feel it how its perform.

Why? Shifting weight close to the axis rotation affect so little on swing weight characteristic. & axist rotation didnt shift along with BP change. So mostly its mental thing coz seeing the BP number shift greatly makes you thinking its not my liking. My preference are 295BP & if its not it, its totally wrong to me. We are to much fond with number. Trust your feeling & dont let your mind play you.

5. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

adding cushion grip should work imo. I did this and it works. 5g to 4g should work. It might little softer tho. my recomenndation is remove main grip and put cushion grip as much as you need then apply another replacement grip and then overgrip. It will affect your bp so little you will hardly notice, as long as you dont want too thick

6. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Cheung likes this.
  7. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

now when the great union is independent, after you add vat and even import taxes and taxes for custom declarations it would cost around 220 pounds :D

Dave1011 likes this.
  8. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Yeah leaving the EU didn't help with that did it!

9. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

>Yonex rackets come with G4 as standard

nah, some of the models never got manufactured with g4, such as those hi-end pro models, like NF-700, AST88D/SPro, etc. so you don't have them in UK also sadly)

10. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Here is G4 NF700 for sale in UK

https://www.tennisnuts.com/yonex-na...t-black-red-4u-and-5u-frame-only-1456711.html

G4 has always been the standard for yonex rackets in UK, even the top of the range rackets.

A few are now available in G5 too which is great for most people who prefer that size.
    Previously we had to buy from other regions to get G5 Yonex.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Shuttle goes whoosh

Shuttle goes whoosh Regular Member

man I would love to have your problem with g4 racket being too available, here in the US, it's just g5 and smaller!

Dave1011 likes this.
  12. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I would happily trade with you, I prefer G5 and even had G6 before which I didn't mind

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It used to be G3 in U.K.!

Dave1011 likes this.
  14. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

When was that @Cheung?
    I used to use alot of Carlton and Pro Kennex so maybe I wasn't a Yonex user back then or I'm just getting old and can't remember it! :)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Going back about 35 years ago :eek:

I remember having a really big grip. Almost every person I met had a big grip. Those days I played tennis in the summer so having a built up badminton grip was still smaller than a tennis racquet.

Then I started meeting other players in London and one Malaysian player fascinated me because he used a really small grip. Fast track to me getting some proper coaching years later in Hong Kong and I really started looking into the size of the grip. My coach showed me these finger techniques and I wondered if the grip size had anything to do with it. Needed to take off a couple of layers. Now I prefer G5 grips.

#15 Cheung, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Dave1011 likes this.
  16. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

haha...that sounds like a familiar story, grays hockey stick, donnay wood composite tennis racket, either tennis or cricket in the summer... didnt switch from tennis to badminton till later, hence the big grip.

Cheung and Dave1011 like this.
  17. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I've been playing around 32 years and used other brands initially so may have just missed the G3 Yonex times.

My peak Yonex usage was the Armortec range, after that I switched to Victor and have rarely used Yonex since.

Cheung likes this.